By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Slow, Excruciating Death Of Final Fantasy

Tagged games:

Runa216 said:
Nem said:

I think the article writer is just pissed off at the ios games, and rightly so. But this is a spin-off, it doesnt affect the mainline. Its not a numbered FF.

What about Final Fantasy XIII and its sequels?  

And what about portable games like Dissidia and Theatrhythm? Those were good games.  Square is still capable of making games (like Bravely Default), they are just ruining and milking Final Fantasy dry.  That cow is squirting dust.   

There's nothing wrong with the JRPG genre, as Ni No Kuni and various others prove.  Square are just alienating their fanbase by bastardizing the Final Fantasy name. 

There's nothing wrong with the iOS platform, Angry Birds shows a game can be simple yet engaging and fun but cheap.  yet Square-Enix thinks they can get HOW much for ports of their old games on there?  they think they can make a game like All The Bravest and that's okay? 

The problem isn't the platform, it isn't the genre, it's the developer and publisher.  Square Enix have, for all intents and purposes, completely given  up on their fanbase in leiu of "MONEYMONEYMONEY!"

I'd be willing to spend money if they made good games again.  Final Fantasy games are worth 100 bucks a piece given the quality of the games and the volume of content, but XIII?  that's not a game, that's a slightly interactive 40 hour movie with shitty characters and an uninteresting, forgettable plot.  

You dont need to preach to me Runa. I detest everything FFXIII. Worst thing that ever happened to FF, given FFXIV is beeing repaired.

Around the Network
Nem said:
Runa216 said:
Nem said:

I think the article writer is just pissed off at the ios games, and rightly so. But this is a spin-off, it doesnt affect the mainline. Its not a numbered FF.

And what about portable games like Dissidia and Theatrhythm? Those were good games.  Square is still capable of making games (like Bravely Default), they are just ruining and milking Final Fantasy dry.  That cow is squirting dust.   

There's nothing wrong with the JRPG genre, as Ni No Kuni and various others prove.  Square are just alienating their fanbase by bastardizing the Final Fantasy name. 

There's nothing wrong with the iOS platform, Angry Birds shows a game can be simple yet engaging and fun but cheap.  yet Square-Enix thinks they can get HOW much for ports of their old games on there?  they think they can make a game like All The Bravest and that's okay? 

The problem isn't the platform, it isn't the genre, it's the developer and publisher.  Square Enix have, for all intents and purposes, completely given  up on their fanbase in leiu of "MONEYMONEYMONEY!"

I'd be willing to spend money if they made good games again.  Final Fantasy games are worth 100 bucks a piece given the quality of the games and the volume of content, but XIII?  that's not a game, that's a slightly interactive 40 hour movie with shitty characters and an uninteresting, forgettable plot.  

You dont need to preach to me Runa. I detest everything FFXIII. Worst thing that ever happened to FF, given FFXIV is beeing repaired.

I was actually just going to make mention that iOS games were fine, just not Squeenix-made ones, or something, but then I got in rant mode becuase of how much this game makes me want to strangle all involved in its creation. 

I can't decide if the recent happenings in Square Enix have tainted my ability to enjoy previous FF games, or if it's become so detached that the others are now enshrined as true classics, immune to criticism.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Nem said:
Runa216 said:
Nem said:

I was actually just going to make mention that iOS games were fine, just not Squeenix-made ones, or something, but then I got in rant mode becuase of how much this game makes me want to strangle all involved in its creation. 

I can't decide if the recent happenings in Square Enix have tainted my ability to enjoy previous FF games, or if it's become so detached that the others are now enshrined as true classics, immune to criticism.  

Square-Enix has some of the highest rated IOS games like Chaos Rings 1+2,  TWEWY, with redone graphics and music etc, FFIV version has the best graphics out of any FFIV.. The ports are a bit overpriced and vary in quality, but they have sales (Or you can pirate because you already "own" them on a different platform, which you wouldn't be able to do if they never ported it :P), and nintendo keeps their games at 50+ dollars forever which is annoying like this.

Some Japanese Visual novels etc are priced at 40+ like Steins;Gate etc which is 10 bucks cheaper than PC version.. FF:ALB is a bit ridiculous but you don't have to buy it, there's a lot of other iOS games regretabbly trying this model, and it's not like they're lieing about what it is.

12 was mainly where the decline started for me. But I loved 12, especially the soundtrack. I thought it was a great RPG. Did I think it was a good Final Fantasy? Not really, to me too linear and felt too small for it to compare... also story was too predictable and a lot of tried and true stuff that I don't even remember most of it. I just thought it was a good game. I actually liked the battle system a lot as much as I wanted to hate the change...I put like 150 hrs into it because I was laid up in bed for a few months... I think I got everyone to lvl 99

Marucha said:

12 was mainly where the decline started for me. But I loved 12, especially the soundtrack. I thought it was a great RPG. Did I think it was a good Final Fantasy? Not really, to me too linear and felt too small for it to compare... also story was too predictable and a lot of tried and true stuff that I don't even remember most of it. I just thought it was a good game. I actually liked the battle system a lot as much as I wanted to hate the change...I put like 150 hrs into it because I was laid up in bed for a few months... I think I got everyone to lvl 99

wait what, iI's got like the most different routes to different locations with the biggest most open maps, compared to any final fantasy. Aside from like FFVII which had the best use of world map with the many different layers (Sumbmarine, Different Chocobo's, Airhips).

Most other FF worldmaps weren't much different than the point and click in FFX, except that you had a little dude running around.

Around the Network
Marucha said:

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

ishiki said:
Marucha said:

wait what... it's got like the most different routes to different locations with the biggest maps, compared to any final fantasy.

I think I meant that less literally, like not feeling big as FF games tend to do, storyline, overblown fantasy themes, etc... most RPGs are linear to some degree because you have to go to locations to find your next objective, plot etc. I didn't think it felt small geography map wise... as I said, I really enjoyed it. Though I remember most of the game while being in a medicated haze LOL.. still play the soundtrack all the time, it's good background work music

Edit: If that doesn't make sense still, don't worry about it lol

ishiki said:
Runa216 said:
Nem said:
Runa216 said:
Nem said:

Square-Enix has some of the highest rated IOS games like Chaos Rings 1+2,  TWEWY, with redone graphics and music etc, FFIV version has the best graphics out of any FFIV.. The ports are a bit overpriced and vary in quality, but they have sales (Or you can pirate because you already "own" them on a different platform, which you wouldn't be able to do if they never ported it :P), and nintendo keeps their games at 50+ dollars forever which is annoying like this.

Some Japanese Visual novels etc are priced at 40+ like Steins;Gate etc which is 10 bucks cheaper than PC version.. FF:ALB is a bit ridiculous but you don't have to buy it, there's a lot of other iOS games regretabbly trying this model, and it's not like they're lieing about what it is.

I got Chaos Rings, it's fairly high quality but not very addictive for me. 

Attoyou said:
Marucha said:

That picture creeps me out :P

BasilZero said:

I disagree, I dont think its a sign of financial trouble, I think its smart for them to be investing early on a platform that seems to be quite popular. Pretty sure a decent amount of digital copies are sold of the ports and the flash games. They can be designed for cheap and be sold at the expensive rate they are currently selling the game.

FFTactics War of the Lions - which I was planning to get for my iphone....is like $15 D:.

But I do admit their actions on the console side will and is hurting them but it'll probably be a long time from now (unless they make FFXVI a online game as well and make more sequels) before they start showing signs that THQ did.

I think there's definitely a bit of that mixed in there too.  I just think - for example, if you read Wada's comments here, he talks about the knock-on effect of FF XIV's failure on the development of other HD titles.  If there are fewer titles being developed on their Japanese side, that's less money they're making (while FF XIV drains even more resources to fix).  If they're spending all this money on that game and getting little to nothing in return, they're going to need to prop themselves up somehow - and that's where the iOS games come in.

At least, that's how I saw things.