By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - China to wage a war with Japan 2013 *special update reuters jan17 20013 article

Mnementh said:
deskpro2k3 said:
whats so important about these islands?

Oil.

Fishing too.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network
menx64 said:
Attoyou said:
Will not happen. Too much to lose, not much to gain.

Bolded for truth.

The growing middle class in China is starting to awake and to demand more freedom, the popular party responds challenging Japan about the Senkaku's... the patriotic freeks see their goverment as heroes and thus the popular party keeps the acceptance from the masses. Nothing happens at the end.

very easy equation.

Agreed. They show military muscle to gain some economic advantages in some treaties and to appease the people in their own land. A war on the other hand would destroy China economical.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Otakumegane said:

K lemme switch that over to American products then. As they export a lot to U.S, American products are just that much more expensive in China.

And not every eastern country hates Japan anymore. I'm South Korean and I know plenty of grandparents who are still bitter about the Korea occupation and all, but we really only get heated in when we take them on in soccer, Japanese products and the like we're fine with that. American products on the other hand.....

Of course there was a lot of friction between Japan and other East-Asian countries historically, living close to each other will do that.

If you look at it from a cultural and not a historical standpoint, stuff like Anime/manga is a lot easily accepted in China than american comics, as is Japanese food to American food. In the end, America is still much more distant to China than Japan is, If there ever was a PS vs Xbox war there, PS would win hands down. What matters in the end isn't history, that's all in the past. It's about a closeness in culture, and even though they might have had their conflicts, they have always repected one another's culture. Can't say the same for American influence on China, you won't see many American CSI shows there.

(Though I'm pretty sure Xbox if ever released in China won't get many M-rated games thanks to "promotion of violence" tag by the Chinese government, effectively killing off like 75% of the games it has.)

Agree on the prices of american products. And I agree, that the WWII is more and more a thing of the past. But it is easily used by nationalist to incite hate against Japan, if it seems to bring advantage. And yes, cultural they naturally much nearer to each other than to the US. Look the Dragonball-anime is about a classic chinese story. Yes, you're right.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

KhinRunite said:
oni-link said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Well since japan is allies with the United States and Europe I can see this quickly becoming WWIII and China has Russia backing them.

Well it doesn't look good for us though, EU's economy is in shambles (only Germany seems to get it right) and Japan and the USA are so debt burdened that it would really weaken our resolve.  China is being bold seeing that it has the support of Russia and Pakistan (maybe even Iran) just in case crap hits the fan.  The only other ally the USA has in Asia (that isn't afraid of China or economically dependent on China) is the Philippines.  That one barely has a capable Navy to defend itself (3 Frigates; one WWII vintage, and a dozen Corvettes the newest being 26 years old) let alone help in assisting/defending the Seventh fleet just in  case they need refuge from the fight!!!  Don't get me wrong, the Philippines will provide refuge but I doubt the Phil Navy can protect the Seventh if they do need a place to hide just in case the war goes south for them.

The Philippines is the least of China's worries. It's only resisting China because the United States is backing it up, but on its worst day China can obliterate the PH Navy. With the laughable military power it has, they stil have to spare troops for the never ending civil war on the southern island.

Sorry but isn't that what I was saying? 

Dragon246 said:

Its about oil. South Asian sea are rich in oil reserves. No one wants the fucking island.
That said. Nothing will happen. Although concerns over hardwares can happen. War, not so much.
Sony and ninty will be interested. China has already stopped exports of rare metals to japan, thats why japan is contacting India for that.

China is all about boasting. They will never launch an assault on any country.

Vietnam and India would beg to differ.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
oni-link said:

This actually is a show to India as well (China and India had a small war and still have disputed territories to battle over) to show that they are ready to fight them as well.  China has a good relationship with Pakistan (better than India) so this war would likely give India pause before challenging China by force. http://www.firstpost.com/topic/place/south-china-sea-india-warns-china-we-will-use-force-to-protect-oil-interest-video-uASByFNefjo-83348-1.html If India is not careful they may find themselves fighting two dangerous opponents at the same time.  A war with Japan would make sense as Japan is the USA best ally (followed by the Philippines which China is also in conflict) in the region.  Defeating both American allies would hinder and limit American influence in the region and make the other asian countries more submissive to China. (tactics people c'mon ) http://betterphils.blogspot.com/2012/01/china-wants-to-takeover-us-military.html  It is going to happen and happen soon.  The USA is currently at it's lowest point economically and militarily; it makes sense for China to strike now while us Americans are still bogged down in the middle east. (sucks)  I just hope we can somehow show some sort of force to deter them and stop them from attacking our allies!!!

Oh, come on. China is trading with the world and it's economy is based on that. And yes, Japan is an important customer. So, even if China wins a war with Japan, it's economy would take a serious hit. Also going into war with Japan basically means going into war with the US. That will not happen. You are right, America is on a low point economically (lowest would mean it can't go lower in the future, and I'm not so sure about that). But militarily the US is dominating everyone in the world. China is in no way able to fight with the US-force.

One thing to consider is...how far will the USA go in defending Japan in our current situation.  It won't be WWIII, I never said it would.  But I have serious doubts on the long term commitment the US has in defending Japan in our current situation.  Besides China has multiple reasons to weaken American influence in Asia in order to be the leading Super Power in that area. One being is the unification of Taiwan, by force if need be.  That's the reason for the formation of the eastern and southern sea fleets if you don't know.

Again, I just hope that nothing happens. If it does, I hope Miyamoto decides to do a trip here to the states as to keep him safe and continue doing the good thing he does best...MARIO AND ZELDA!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope things don't go any further than they have, but I have a bad feeling they will. China would be smart not to raise tensions further though, if this does deteriorate then the west will stop buying their crap and their economy will dive. If they do attack Japan though, it will turn into WWIII, as the US will be dragged in through their treaty, Australia through theirs and the rest of the world through general wanting to secure Oil/Natural Gas.

As others have stated though, China's military is rapidly modernizing but it is still far behind the US. Japan does have a military (well Self-Defence forces, but it is a military in all but name) with a Navy that is more than capable of defending Japan from China. But the big thing is China's Nuclear Weapon capability, there have been reports lately that they could have 1000+ more missiles than they've actually reported, much more advanced ones capable of striking the US. If Japan really needed to, it could have nukes in months, though, so that shouldn't be much comfort to China, seeing as Japan has a growing pile of Plutonium without a use with it's reactors shut down.

oni-link said:
KhinRunite said:
oni-link said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Well since japan is allies with the United States and Europe I can see this quickly becoming WWIII and China has Russia backing them.

Well it doesn't look good for us though, EU's economy is in shambles (only Germany seems to get it right) and Japan and the USA are so debt burdened that it would really weaken our resolve.  China is being bold seeing that it has the support of Russia and Pakistan (maybe even Iran) just in case crap hits the fan.  The only other ally the USA has in Asia (that isn't afraid of China or economically dependent on China) is the Philippines.  That one barely has a capable Navy to defend itself (3 Frigates; one WWII vintage, and a dozen Corvettes the newest being 26 years old) let alone help in assisting/defending the Seventh fleet just in  case they need refuge from the fight!!!  Don't get me wrong, the Philippines will provide refuge but I doubt the Phil Navy can protect the Seventh if they do need a place to hide just in case the war goes south for them.

The Philippines is the least of China's worries. It's only resisting China because the United States is backing it up, but on its worst day China can obliterate the PH Navy. With the laughable military power it has, they stil have to spare troops for the never ending civil war on the southern island.

Sorry but isn't that what I was saying? 

I thought this was better than simply saying "I agree". :P

Based on some of the comments on this thread gaming does have a bad effect on the brain.

This is just political posturing. Both sides talk big without the slightest intention of going to war. They need each other financially and the stakes are too big. Natural resources aren't that stretched just yet.

There will be eventually another big world war but I don't think it would happen for a few years yet... who knows really.

The fact is that since the second world war (Korea don't count) two powerful nations have yet to go to the last level in a war against each other.
The policy has been the stronger nations kicking the ass of the weaker economic and military nations. Fighting nations that can't strike back.

China and Japan sit at the top table. It is very unlikely they will fight each other..at least not yet.

Another thing is that many believe that "America will always help". I don't. I could be wrong but I have my doubts.

Mao believed Americans hate pain. They can dish it out but if there is barely a hint that the enemy can strike back at the heart of their mainland it's a different matter. All other major powers know what it is like to have their cities bombed to bits during a war. I suppose the attack in 2001 is the worst it ever got on the US mainland.

Time will tell.