By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which do you prefer: JRPG or WRPG?

Which do you like more?

JRPG 133 61.29%

WRPG 62 28.57%

Yo Mama 22 10.14%

Total:217

Button mashing JRPGs and turn based JRPGS solely depend upon pure luck to progress a little bit further in the game. WRPGs are far more story driven and open world games. Mass Effect trilogy, Fallout 3, Skyrim and Oblivion were clearly better than FFXIII/XIII-2 and the countless lacklustre JRPGs that were on offer this generation. 

Around the Network

wrpg seems more diverse, every time I play an jrpg I feel like am playing the same dumb story over and over

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

While I like both I definitely prefer JRPGs.

And seriously, all these people mentioning SE as the major reason for good JRPGs... when there is Konami, who provided the ultimate JRPG expirience.

I prefer wrpg:s. They are much better match to my tastes, basically they are better in everything.

I can't stand jrpg stories or the art style.

WRPG

Better gameplay, more appealing content (classic fantasy, sci-fi, etc).

It also feels like WRPG are avolving in the right direction of what RPG games are supposed to be.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

There aren't really that many Western developed RPGs. Many western games often referred to as "WRPGs" can more accurately be described as action or sandbox games, they're more like Grand Theft Auto.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I love JRPGs for the grinding, the story and the linearity.
WRPGs, on the other hand... I don't think I've actually played one. Considering the most recent Western game I actually liked was made in 2003, though, I doubt I'd like them if I tried.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Otakumegane said:
gronk-bonk said:
If it wasnt for xenoblade, i woud have voted for WRPG.

What you never played other JRPGs?

Lost faith in Jrpg's this gen before xenoblade came out. I fell in love with the elders scroll and dragon age. 

Bet with ninjablade:

Ninjablade wins if the next 5 multiplat on the wii u are inferior to the 360 version.

I win if one of the 5 mulitplats are on par or superior on the Wii U.

Jrpg's all the way.

There's not a single Wrpg that got me 'hooked' on the story or characters like some Jrpg's did. They're not bad games, but they're on a whole different level than Jrpg's.

Has almost lost faith in the RPG-genre at all. But Xenoblade showed that there is a whole new life in JRPG. Perhaps some game will do this to WRPG too (Skyrim was boring!).

The next RPG I am looking for is the new Wii U RPG from the Xenoblade-Studio Monolith.