By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which do you prefer: JRPG or WRPG?

Which do you like more?

JRPG 133 61.29%

WRPG 62 28.57%

Yo Mama 22 10.14%

Total:217

Just to be clear, I'm considering for all generations and not just the current generation.

So which type of aforementioned RPG do you prefer and why?

______

I personally prefer JRPGs over WRPGs even though the former is arguably more linear and doesn't have as much customization as the latter.

This is because in a good JRPG (like Persona/TWEWY/FF/Tales) the character development is extremely in depth and by the end of the game you feel like you know the characters like any other person in real life and really care for their fate. For WRPGs, even though your character tends to start off as a blank slate and you define how he/she develops, I feel as though I just don't care about the character as much (be it love/despise) or their cause. Also JRPGs have a lot of eccentric characters beside the established archetypes who are a lot of fun to follow (Sho Minamimoto you zetta sons of digits).

Furthermore, many stories in JRPGs are quite outlandish. They have a lot of varied settings from medieval ages to modern times to future. You name a setting and there's probably a game with such a setting for the story. This unpredictability really captures my imagination and makes me want to learn more about the world it is based on. WRPGs seem to be a lot more stringent in their story settings to me.

So while I appreciate WRPGs for their strong suit in large scale free worlds and a high amount of customization, I still love JRPGs more.

Around the Network

JRPG cause of persona, kingdom hearts, and chrono trigger.

but i couldn't resist putting yo mama 

JRPG's for the obvious reason that is Square Enix. (And many others.)

I used to be really into JRPG's, but I haven't played one in a long while. Does Borderlands count as a WRPG? Skyrim was immensely disappointing. I don't know, I'm a little down on the genre as a whole, unless you count Borderlands.

Mensrea said:
I used to be really into JRPG's, but I haven't played one in a long while. Does Borderlands count as a WRPG? Skyrim was immensely disappointing. I don't know, I'm a little down on the genre as a whole, unless you count Borderlands.

Yeah Borderlands does count as a WRPG even though it has elements of other genres (like FPS).

Around the Network

JRPG"S

Pokemon, final fantasy >>>>>>>> skyrim

come at me! :)

JRPG, but I like some WRPGs also.

I think the JRPG as a whole is to stuck in it's ways. It needs to change. In the west, pretty much everything is turning into an RPG, and RPG's are getting bigger, and changing. I vote WRPG.

JRPG's solely for the fact that WRPG's usually have a very unfollowable story and has lackluster combat.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

007BondAgent said:
JRPG"S

Pokemon, final fantasy >>>>>>>> skyrim

come at me! :)

Agreed.

*Prepares flame shield and wears hazmat suit*

NOW come at me bruh.