By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which do you prefer: JRPG or WRPG?

Which do you like more?

JRPG 133 61.29%

WRPG 62 28.57%

Yo Mama 22 10.14%

Total:217
Otakumegane said:
JRPG's solely for the fact that WRPG's usually have a very unfollowable story and has lackluster combat.

Complete agree on the unfollowable story and totally disagree about the lackluster combat.

Around the Network

Definitely WRPGS. They encompass a much greater variety of game. Nowadays it's hard not to find a game that doesn't have some wrpg elements. As a kid I wasn't into rpgs other than pokemon so I won't comment on the JRPG "golden age". But currently it is a no brainer. Though I do admit a lot of good wrpg took quite a plunge in quality recently, namely Fable, Dragon Age, and Diablo.

The only recent JRPGs I've actually enjoyed are Dark Souls, mainly because it plays more like a wrpg(in terms of being open world, no clear path, just get lost and immersed in the game) and doesn't have a super cheesy story that jrpgs are notorious for, Valkaria Chronicles, because it is a great stratagy game, and The World Ends With You due to the amazing combat mechanics. Everything else I've tried has been rather disappointing.

When we talk about JRPG and WRPG, are we referring only to the region of origin? Or is there something essential in each category that makes it unique, apart from being from a different side of the world?

I'll give the nod to JRPGs for story and character development. They are more memorable because of that.
WRPGs tend to be more addictive for me, which is not always good since I get burned out on side quests and then have to force myself to finish the story. The worlds in WRPGs are more interesting to explore though.

I don't even know what a wRPG is, to be honest. They can be so many different types that I usually think of as other genres.

With that in mind, I don't care about how it's listed, I just like good games. Both jRPGs and wRPGs encompass some of my favorite games ever. I don't think I can call it one way or another.

Games like Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, and Suikoden on one side, and Fallout, Dragon Age, Borderlands, and Torchlight on the other.

I call it a draw.

Around the Network
bonkers555 said:
Otakumegane said:
JRPG's solely for the fact that WRPG's usually have a very unfollowable story and has lackluster combat.

Complete agree on the unfollowable story and totally disagree about the lackluster combat.

What I meant by lackluster is that they're usually single-action based and don't have long chain combos with gigantic explosions. It's just a matter of taste I guess.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

UltimateUnknown said:
BlowoverKing said:
*Puts evoker to head*

PER-SON-A

*Pulls Triger and awesomeness ensues*

Was never really into RPG's in general besides the Pokemon games but since that fatefull day i decided to give Persona 3 FES a shot when I saw it on PSN i'm hooked on RPG's! I voted JRPG because i haven't played a WRPG yet but yesterday i went out and bought Oblivion so i'll try that out. However along with Oblivion i bought FFXIII (I know people said it as meh), FFXII (Gamestop actually had the collector's edition so yay me!), FFVII (on my Vita), 3D Dot Heroes (I think its an RPG lol if not it still looks good!), and Kingdom Hearts. So it looks like I'll be alone in my room for about 2 years!

*clap* *clap* *clap*

Well done on that purchase of P3 FES. It is indeed once of the best among JRPGs. Although many people say P4 is the best in the series (and it is definitely amazing so you should try it), I still think P3 is the absolute best in the Persona series and one of the best games ever made period.

And yes with that massive back catalog of games to go through you'll definitely be busy lol.

I haven't played P3 FES.  How does it hold up?  If I bought it today, would it feel awfully dated?  Going to buy P4G eventually, but maybe I should start with FES.

If it wasnt for xenoblade, i woud have voted for WRPG.

Bet with ninjablade:

Ninjablade wins if the next 5 multiplat on the wii u are inferior to the 360 version.

I win if one of the 5 mulitplats are on par or superior on the Wii U.

gronk-bonk said:
If it wasnt for xenoblade, i woud have voted for WRPG.

What you never played other JRPGs?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

I prefer action RPGs like Zelda, Fable, Kings of Amalure and since those are often regarded today as western style that's what I voted for. But I do like Japanese style RPGs as they have become known. My favorites are Panzer Dragoon Saga, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star IV and Skies of Arcadia. Mass Effect is my current favorite RPG series of any kind.