By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U sold less than PS3 in US December at Launch. What do you think about?

WTF?

DOOMED 28 33.33%

FAIL 12 14.29%

PS3 AMAZING 43 51.19%

Total:83
pezus said:
OceanJ said:
ethomaz said:
kljesta64 said:
times where different in 2006 it was a launch everyone was talking about 2 system sony and nintendo launching their console at the same time it was hyper hype just because of that..and now not many people do even know that the wii u is on shelves or its existence because of poor advertisment...i think ninty knew that the wii u would sell an good amount so there probably waiting for the right moment to get it started if not then they are crazy :D

Hummmmm... your post made the scenario worst.

PS3 490k with high Wii competition
Wii U 460k with no competition

lol

Having the PS3, XBox 360, & Wii at severely discounted prices with massive games libraries wasn't competition? 

It's pretty clear that the economic climate world-wide in 2012 is vastly worse than in 2006, especially in the U.S..  People opted to spend less money this December, the fact the Wii U has done as well as it has...given the lack of hype & marketing, is amazing.

Taking 30k more units of PS3 sales in the U.S. as evidence of Wii U doom is just retarded.  You guys know we're still coming off the single worst financial period since the Great Depression, right?  You know that Retali Sales across the country are all down...right?

Clearly you don't.

So being 50% cheaper than the PS3 isn't enough to counter this "climate"?

If I were to go along with this theory, yes. Being cheaper was enough to make the sales about on par.

But really, I think other factors were at play. :/

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
pezus said:
OceanJ said:
ethomaz said:
kljesta64 said:
times where different in 2006 it was a launch everyone was talking about 2 system sony and nintendo launching their console at the same time it was hyper hype just because of that..and now not many people do even know that the wii u is on shelves or its existence because of poor advertisment...i think ninty knew that the wii u would sell an good amount so there probably waiting for the right moment to get it started if not then they are crazy :D

Hummmmm... your post made the scenario worst.

PS3 490k with high Wii competition
Wii U 460k with no competition

lol

Having the PS3, XBox 360, & Wii at severely discounted prices with massive games libraries wasn't competition? 

It's pretty clear that the economic climate world-wide in 2012 is vastly worse than in 2006, especially in the U.S..  People opted to spend less money this December, the fact the Wii U has done as well as it has...given the lack of hype & marketing, is amazing.

Taking 30k more units of PS3 sales in the U.S. as evidence of Wii U doom is just retarded.  You guys know we're still coming off the single worst financial period since the Great Depression, right?  You know that Retali Sales across the country are all down...right?

Clearly you don't.

So being 50% cheaper than the PS3 isn't enough to counter this "climate"?

Wii U outsold PS3 when you simply add November into the holidays equation, which it's completely reasonable to do for an apples to apples holiday launch comparison.

If it were in 2006's economic climate it would have beaten the PS3 even more badly.

I really don't know what all the fuss is about.  

NintendoPie said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
it's proven ninty can't sale an over priced console. just look at 3ds when it was over priced. ninty needs to rmember they are not Sony or MS so they can't sale their console at the price Sony does.

looks as though ninty jumped the gun on the 8th gen. they should have waited it out with Sony and MS which is the only reason Wii hasn't outsold PS1.

Nobody can seem to sell a console at Sony price. 

Nintendo didn't jump the gun. Having a headstart is quite valuable.

not for ninty, and at this price point, yes they did. if they'er plan was to do with WiiU what they did with 3ds, then they've succeeded if they cut the price to (standard console price) $249.

ninty jumped the gun, got in a declining market, and paid for it. not to mention they worried to much about getting 3rd party they for got why ninty fans buy their consoles.

things will get better in 2 yr.'s, so even if ninty drops WiiU's price, things won't change, but they'll see and increase in sales.

RolStoppable said:
OceanJ said:

Target was 5.5 million shipped by 3/31.  So the number we need to see here on VGchartz for week ending 3/31 is something like 5 million. 

Math on that's 15 weeks left to sell 2.55 million Wii U's - 170k / week.

Totally reasonable.  It's gonna be close... but yeah Ninty's pretty much on target.

That's just as reasonable as this thread.

Well, just take a look at the Wii's numbers from Jan - Mar 2007, and how the Wii U's sold vs the Wii so far...it's definitely on pace to hit 170k on the average.

As for the extra 500k being counted as shipped and not sold, to reach 5.5m...that's just a guess. But I have to imagine globally it's about that.

*throws the gamepad out the window!*

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
pezus said:
There's no way Nintendo will ship 5.5m WiiU's now before April unless they really stuff the channels. It has likely sold ~2.2m WW now or so when numbers are adjusted, with sales clearly dropping off very fast everywhere. Sub 100k weeks in February anyone?

Nice to know how much it has likely sold, but for this particular topic, we should be thinking about how much it has likely shipped by now.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

M.U.G.E.N said:
AgentZorn said:
Some of you are down right hypocrites.

How come when the Wii U was outselling the PS3 and 360 people were saying " Oh no its not comparable it should be compared to the Wii" but now that the PS3 sold more, that logic is thrown out the fucking window.

so you want them to keep comparing the numbers to the wii december numbers at launch? Really? 

No. I am okay with it being compared to the 360/PS3 and I am not going to deny, or refute, that the PS3 sold more in December. What I don't like is that some people flipped what they said about the Wii U not being comprable with the the 360/PS3 launch because the PS3 sold more than the Wii U.

AgentZorn said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
AgentZorn said:
Some of you are down right hypocrites.

How come when the Wii U was outselling the PS3 and 360 people were saying " Oh no its not comparable it should be compared to the Wii" but now that the PS3 sold more, that logic is thrown out the fucking window.

so you want them to keep comparing the numbers to the wii december numbers at launch? Really? 

No. I am okay with it being compared to the 360/PS3 and I am not going to deny, or refute, that the PS3 sold more in December. What I don't like is that some people flipped what they said about the Wii U not being comprable with the the 360/PS3 launch because the PS3 sold more than the Wii U.

So you are refering to their intention then. I see what you mean. But honestly hope that they WON'T start comparing wiiu to the wii on a regular basis..it's not gonna be pretty in the coming months

but I fucking swear..this is a damn fine mess. Now both sides making thread after thread to get back at the other side...not gonna lie seeing some of the vita threads I had the urge to make some as well but it's pretty useless..it's just never gonna end sigh

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

It's Nintendo, don't worry it'll sell.

ninjablade said:
MB1025 said:
Anyone else find it funny that Sony fans are bashing a console for a slow start?

if different for sony though there system launched at 499-599$, a 299$-350$ ps3 would have sold a ton

That doesn't mean anything. All it takes is just 1 thing to shif sales. A game, a gammick, and/or different strategy and that it is. All these people in here talking about Nintendo going handheld only if this continues is out of their minds. I don't know why so many people on this site are so damn extreme with everything they say.