By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U sold less than PS3 in US December at Launch. What do you think about?

WTF?

DOOMED 28 33.33%

FAIL 12 14.29%

PS3 AMAZING 43 51.19%

Total:83
F0X said:

How is the Wii U launch worse? Are we suddenly forgetting that both consoles launched in November? Or that the small supply of PS3s artificially drove up demand in the following months? As it stands, Wii U's numbers in 2013 still easily trump the PS3's 2006 numbers.

Because the Wii U had an advantage in price, games, and competition. The collective importance of these factors easily trumps artificial demand.

Around the Network

Bait thread, and i cite the poll as evidence.

Outta here.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

170k per week in Jan, Feb and Mar??? Noooooooooo way.

OceanJ said:
Cobretti2 said:
OceanJ said:
Cobretti2 said:
Vinniegambini said:
Just realised:

Xbox 360 US Launch (Nov+Dec): 607k
PS3 US Launch (Nov+Dec): 687k
Wii U US Launch (Nov+Dec): 890k

Hmmm.... makes me reconsider, it's not bad actually.

Good post, but the point here is that PS3 did do better in December during launch.

So what?  PS3 got its ass kicked when you throw in Nov., so what's the point?  

Clearly you did not read the threads heading. 

No, clearly I did.  And clearly you didn't read my last post.

The heading of this thread is complete bullshit.  It's just stupid to disregard November and only look at December.   A totally bogus thread, and non-news.

Wii U is selling fine.  

Oh and BTW, conveniently no one's bothered to look at Nintendo's own sales projections for Wii U and seen that they're basically right on target.

It indeed is a bogus thread but when u see who listed it you accept it and don't feed their amuzment. I am sure you noticed that another similar thread which ended with "we need to talk about it" 

Same thing happens with the VITA doomed threads.

The moderators either need to step in and stop all the doom threads or let them be. 

Jay520 said:
F0X said:

How is the Wii U launch worse? Are we suddenly forgetting that both consoles launched in November? Or that the small supply of PS3s artificially drove up demand in the following months? As it stands, Wii U's numbers in 2013 still easily trump the PS3's 2006 numbers.

Because the Wii U had an advantage in price, games, and competition. The collective importance of these factors easily trumps artificial demand.

We can debate forever the level of importance of supply in a console launch, but I don't think we should let opinions cloud the facts. PS3 demand was insane after extremely limited supply in November. Wii U didn't undergo that same scanario, leading to far superior numbers in November, but only managed to be almost on par with the PS3 in December, the month where PS3 was finally beginning to meet the high demand from launch. I think many conclusions can be drawn from this, but I don't think "Wii U's launch was worse" should be one. I can agree that the Wii U launch could've been better. Easily so. But to call it worse than the PS3 launch, which was far weaker in total sales and suffered from a lack of both console supply and excellent games, strikes me as a large logical leap.

On the other hand, "PS3 sold more in December" is perfectly factual. Extrapolating it into something else is what grinds my gears.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero