By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 to be the second most popular home console EVER?

rolls eyes.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
leo-j said:
sales2099 said:
ethomaz said:
Yes. PS3 will sell between 110 and 120 million... my bet is near 115 million lifetime.

Thats basically 4-5 years worth of PS3 sales......not taking into account sales declines and next Xbox/PS4 taking the wind out of it.

I cant take your predictions seriously :P

So you're telling ppl, that after microsoft and sony announce a nexgen system.. ps3 sales are just going to drop like a rock.. you realize the ps3 has yet to receive it's big mass market price point..

$199 or less

once it reaches that price range world wide sales will sustain themselves.. or even sky rocket..

history has taught the industry.. that unlike XBOX and NINTENDO.. PLAYSTATION doesn't just go poof after a nexgen system is announced or launched.. the PS2 did end up outselling most of the systems that came a generation after it.. for years

Its mass market priced in Europe with that tiny gig PS3 right?

It wont drop like a rock....but itll slow. When They actually release itll slow even more. When Xbox and PS4 gain momentum, PS3 will slow a little more then too. Get it?

PS3 is different from PS2 and you know it.

You're right.. it's very different..

The ps3 7 years into it's life is getting bigger and better ip than the PS2 ever did this stage in it's life.. and is still priced at a much higher price point than it's competition..

oh and it has blu ray.. a growing medium in disc media.. growing consistently on a yearly basis by the way.. unlike DVD that erupted quickly and was quickly mimiced by microsoft

and the Wii U is only extending the ps3's life..  only thing that'll slow it down is yes an announcement of a new xbox/playstation.. but if it drops to $199 it'll sustain itself at least(and now the 12GB model isn't available in all of EUROPE.. and isn't $199)

mM
HappySqurriel said:
I'm doubtful ...

I keep having to mention this and people simply don't seem to understand, Sony is in serious financial trouble and there are things that people are expecting that they simply can not afford to do. It is highly unlikely that Sony can reduce the price of the PS-Vita, reduce the price of the PS3, and launch the PS4 with significant hardware losses; and I think it is far more likely that Sony would choose to do one of these things rather than all 3.

With this in mind, I see very few outcomes that allows the PS3 to sell (at least) an additional 32 million units which represents 45% of its sales over the past 6 years; and it will probably require more sales because, while the Wii may not be selling great, the Wii could still crawl past the Playstation.

Quoted for the sanity of this post!!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

How much has the PS2 sold since the PS3 came out? Couldn't we take a good guess at what PS3 sales will end up as?

brendude13 said:
How much has the PS2 sold since the PS3 came out? Couldn't we take a good guess at what PS3 sales will end up as?

PS2 shipped 115.6 million units as 31st March, 2007.

From this date to 31st March 2012 Sony shipped more 39.5 million units.

So from PS3 launch (Nov 2006) today the PS2 shipped over 40 million units (near 50 million because there is the 2006 holiday and almost all 2012) in the market...

Around the Network

Ps2 stills sold so much because Xbox and Gamecube were killed.

Wont happen the same this time, you can bet on that, 360 will still on the market and will drop the price to insane low levels with Kinect and annual Franchises like Fifa and Cod will eat Ps3 sales...

Ps3 will be lucky to Reach 100m, let alone Wii Levels in 2016.

pezus said:

What about from November 2006?

103.69 million shipped as 31st March 2006... I think near 109 million in Nov 2006.

There is the 2012 shipment too.

Argh_College said:

Wont happen the same this time, you can bet on that, 360 will still on the market and will drop the price to insane low levels with Kinect and annual Franchises like Fifa and Cod will eat Ps3 sales...

Sorry but I don't think Microsoft will continue to support the 360 once their next gen console is released which might kill the 360. Sony on the other hand has repeatedly said that the PS3 will have a 10 year life cycle.

Edit - Also...Fifa will kill the PS3 sales because of the 360 version? Where have you been bro?

I don't think PS3 will pass PS or Wii.

I have a hard time seeing PS3 selling another 28 Million to pass Wii and while the Wii is basically dead, it should still get to 100 Million.

I have 2 reasons for this:

1) As HappySqurriel said, Sony is in a tough spot financially. They can't afford to drop the price of PS3, PSV, and launch PS4 at the same time. They would have to balance them out. The question becomes, would Sony kill off the PSV, or not take a loss on the PS4 in order to keep the PS3 going? It is Sony so who knows.

2) Both Sony & Microsoft will run out of people to sell to and reach market saturation. People seem to think that PS3 will continue on in the same way PS & PS2 did. They completed destroyed the competition during their respective gens. While PS3 is leading weekly now, it didn't destroy, dominate, or even lead the gen. It is still in last today. If you really think that PS3 will stay strong when the next gen comes in full swing and think the 360 will just die, your off IMO. Both should continue to sell for a little bit which is what makes this different compared to PS & PS2.

riderz13371 said:
Argh_College said:

Sorry but I don't think Microsoft will continue to support the 360 once their next gen console is released which might kill the 360. Sony on the other hand has repeatedly said that the PS3 will have a 10 year life cycle.

Edit - Also...Fifa will kill the PS3 sales because of the 360 version? Where have you been bro?

it wont kill it just will take milions of sales away.

360 wont be killed, it will sell as long as ps3.

Zero chances on outselling Wii. 100m is out of Reach for Ps3. 95m MAX and thats already too much.

This year Console Sales will be down as hell.