By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 to be the second most popular home console EVER?

I am certain it'll be #4, but I'm not sure it'll pass 100 million. 90 million, sure, but 100 million is a stretch unless they release a 100 dollar version.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

I don't see it. Let's assume Wii stops at 105mil. The PS3 is 32.5mil away from this figure. Best case scenario I can see is 10mil this year, and this is VERY MUCH best case scenario. A 7mil year then a 4mil year after that would leave it 11.5mil away; I don't see it getting another 11.5mil from that point.

So no, not really. 90-95mil seems like a reasonable limit.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

No I dont think it will ever be able to pass the wii. Far too much to ask this late on in the gen.

Miguel_Zorro said:
Conegamer said:
I don't see it. Let's assume Wii stops at 105mil. The PS3 is 32.5mil away from this figure. Best case scenario I can see is 10mil this year, and this is VERY MUCH best case scenario. A 7mil year then a 4mil year after that would leave it 11.5mil away; I don't see it getting another 11.5mil from that point.

So no, not really. 90-95mil seems like a reasonable limit.

It largely depends whether the video game console market rebounds as a whole or if it continues to decline, as it did in 2012.  If it continues to decline, it's bad news for a lot of consoles.  :(

Very true, but I don't see anything bringing the PS3 back, or even maintaining sales, this year. Then, obviously we have the PS4 launch which will knock sales also. And the PS3 is not the same beast as the PS2, and as such will knock live as long after the PS4 launches, maybe 10-15mil max. 

But stranger things have happened. However, it's almost certain not to happen.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

pezus said:
Argh_College said:
riderz13371 said:
Argh_College said:
Ps2 stills sold so much because Xbox and Gamecube were killed.

Wont happen the same this time, you can bet on that, 360 will still on the market and will drop the price to insane low levels with Kinect and annual Franchises like Fifa and Cod will eat Ps3 sales...

Ps3 will be lucky to Reach 100m, let alone Wii Levels in 2016.

Sorry but I don't think Microsoft will continue to support the 360 once their next gen console is released which might kill the 360. Sony on the other hand has repeatedly said that the PS3 will have a 10 year life cycle.

Edit - Also...Fifa will kill the PS3 sales because of the 360 version? Where have you been bro?

it wont kill it just will take milions of sales away.

360 wont be killed, it will sell as long as ps3.

Zero chances on outselling Wii. 100m is out of Reach for Ps3. 95m MAX and thats already too much.

This year Console Sales will be down as hell.

Uhm, no, it really won't. It's declining faster than PS3 and as soon it stops being America's #1 choice, which will happen relatively soon, its sales will drop drastically. 360 simply won't have the same legs; look at PS2 sales in America compared to the rest of the world after this gen started to see what I mean.

bet whatever you want... Microsoft wont kill the 360 before Sony kills Ps3. It hs allways been there plan, as long as it keeps selling. They will drop price to insane low level if the need to but they wont kill 360. Stop Dreaming.

Around the Network

PS3 isn't selling 100m units, so no.

I predict PS3 to die at around 89-94m.

I'm not even sure if it'll pass the 360 anymore.

Argh_College said:
riderz13371 said:
Argh_College said:
Ps2 stills sold so much because Xbox and Gamecube were killed.

Wont happen the same this time, you can bet on that, 360 will still on the market and will drop the price to insane low levels with Kinect and annual Franchises like Fifa and Cod will eat Ps3 sales...

Ps3 will be lucky to Reach 100m, let alone Wii Levels in 2016.

Sorry but I don't think Microsoft will continue to support the 360 once their next gen console is released which might kill the 360. Sony on the other hand has repeatedly said that the PS3 will have a 10 year life cycle.

Edit - Also...Fifa will kill the PS3 sales because of the 360 version? Where have you been bro?

it wont kill it just will take milions of sales away.

360 wont be killed, it will sell as long as ps3.

Zero chances on outselling Wii. 100m is out of Reach for Ps3. 95m MAX and thats already too much.

This year Console Sales will be down as hell.

Exept WiiU,3DS AND PSVita

what kind of exclusive blockbuster games did PS3 receive in 2012?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

pezus said:
Jay520 said:

PS3 isn't selling 100m units, so no.

I predict PS3 to die at around 89-94m.

I'm not even sure if it'll pass the 360 anymore.

89 as the low end is way too low. How much do you expect it to sell this year? I expect 9-10m personally, so that would bring its sales to 81-82m. The remaining 7-8m would be incredibly easy.

Year Low-end High-end
  Yearly Total Yearly Total
*2012 11.8m 72.5m 11.8m 72.5m
2013 7.5m 80m 9.5m 82m
2014 5m 85m 7m 89m
Beyond 4m 89m 4m 93m

*2012 could be overtracked.

Tell me how the PS3 could possibly touch 100m.

DanneSandin said:
what kind of exclusive blockbuster games did PS3 receive in 2012?

I wouldn't say any were "blockbuster". Why?