By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 to be the second most popular home console EVER?

It will pass the Wii as well. I will be happy to revive this thread when it happens 3 to 4 years from now for the ones who find this hard to belive ;)

Around the Network

It could be. Never say never. But it doesn't mean PS3 has the same dominant performance as PS or PS2. The LTD sales didn't really reflect the whole story of this gen.

pezus said:
sales2099 said:

Even with current PS3 and Wii sales, it would take 3 years Pezus. 3 Years.

But we all know PS3 sales will decline starting this year, after E3 off course and beyond.

3 years isn't a long time. 10 year plan!!

Then your thread and your excitement is 3 years too early, your too excited for your own good :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

zhao3gold said:
It could be. Never say never. But it doesn't mean PS3 has the same dominant performance as PS or PS2. The LTD sales didn't really reflect the whole story of this gen.

3-4 years if PS3 sales the past couple years keep their momentum.

You can't honetsly think it can keep its current sales pace with next gen coming and what not.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

pezus said:
sales2099 said:
pezus said:
sales2099 said:

Even with current PS3 and Wii sales, it would take 3 years Pezus. 3 Years.

But we all know PS3 sales will decline starting this year, after E3 off course and beyond.

3 years isn't a long time. 10 year plan!!

Then your thread and your excitement is 3 years too early, your too excited for your own good :)

My thread is asking a question. I'm not going to ask when it has already happened

Oh we read in between the lines...you totally expect it to happen

Around the Network

I'm doubtful ...

I keep having to mention this and people simply don't seem to understand, Sony is in serious financial trouble and there are things that people are expecting that they simply can not afford to do. It is highly unlikely that Sony can reduce the price of the PS-Vita, reduce the price of the PS3, and launch the PS4 with significant hardware losses; and I think it is far more likely that Sony would choose to do one of these things rather than all 3.

With this in mind, I see very few outcomes that allows the PS3 to sell (at least) an additional 32 million units which represents 45% of its sales over the past 6 years; and it will probably require more sales because, while the Wii may not be selling great, the Wii could still crawl past the Playstation.

Nah. Too large a number for it to reach.

Will finish between 90-100 Million... 3 of the top 4 home consoles ever will be "PlayStation".

The wii is all but dead now, so it won't take much for the PS3 to outsell it

3-5 years should do it.

kowenicki said:
wont pass Wii.

The rate at which it sells now brings in a very high probability though. By projecting 13 million for 2013,  8 million for 2014(PS4 year and reduced price), 7million by 2015 end or q2 2016. Wii would have been discontinued by then, due to lack of support and thus making ps3 easily surpassing it marginally by 2016 end.

I really don't see PS3 managing to sell over 100 million units, which it would have to do in order to overtake Wii. Even if Nintendo stopped all Wii production and were no longer selling any, it still wouldn't happen because as soon as next year PS4 will be on the market and PS3 sales will nosedive accordingly. PS3 needs more than two holiday seasons of robust sales to even come close to Wii, and that won't happen. It will be interrupted by other, newer consoles as soon as this November (Xbox 3 launch, Wii U increases due to big holiday games, etc).