By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have Sony and Microsoft lost their minds?

Would you release a new PS or Xbox in 2013?

Yes it's time for a new PS. 84 35.00%

Yes it's time for a new Xbox. 74 30.83%

Nope, I would stick to the PS3 10 year plan. 65 27.08%

Nope, I would wait until ... 17 7.08%

Total:240
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
Well MS has the right state of mind. Gears of War and then ride XBLA and multiplats till November. Solid plan.

Sony is just releasing too many exclusives in the supposed year of the PS4. They were better off making some of these games launch titles.

Sony had no choice, the release dates were pushed back. What are they going to do, launch a bunch of dumbed down last gen titles? No doubt they would slaughter in the beginning Microsoft if The Last Guardian and FFVersusXIII got pushed back but we'll  have to wait after E3 for the fallout. The 360 and PS3 are going to be running 2013 with their multiplats alone regardless of whether the new consoles are coming.

Last of Us would make a great launch title.

Apparently you haven't been listening to Naughty Dog. The reason they didnt make Uncharted 4 on the PS3 is because every game they make has a graphical leap. If Uncharted 4 was going to have a graphical leap, Last of Us P4 would've left the PS3 version in the dust. You get used to this type of quality with Naughty Dog and truly believe them because they deliver.

You make it seem like they would refuse Sony if they demanded it. If Sony orders it, they would do it, personal philosophies be damned.

Just saying from a business perspective, LOU is better suited as a launch title.

Sony is known to give a lot of freedom to developers they can trust. If they didn't Sony Japan and Polyphony studios would be on Sonys shit list. They are good with second party as well. 

Anyway, the reason the Last of Us is the perfect farewell to the PS3 before the next gen begins is because it could just be starting a new franchise that could stand the test of time. Its a strong IP to attract westerners and also the 'Walking Dead' is written all over that. Gaming fans will definitely love to get their hands on any action like that, especially if its made by Naughty Dog. That and the installed base of the PS3 is at peak potential to see where its top sales land. The first game could see anywhere from 2-3 million sales. The anticipation for that game has grown to huge levels. That would make it the perfect platform for next gen to have a sequel, think about it.

I dunno....just going off the time tested fact that new IPs late in the gen tend to fail and new IPs at starts of the gen have a greater chance of seeing greater sales and sequels.

Off the top of my head.....Gears of War and Uncharted. Late gen examples....Alan Wake, Battle Royale.

Alan Wake came out in 2010 whatever it sold it deserved. Playstation Battle Royale cannot be compared as its existence is controversial much like DMC. Gears of War was marketed very well from the beginning and westerners ate it up. Uncharted didnt sell stellar until time went by, which is why Sony is always noted for their legs. Sony has legs, Microsoft has quick bursts of sales and then it goes down unless they bundle it.

Be a DJ, cause I like how you spin.

I didnt spin a thing. Alan Wake and Battle Royale shouldn't be said in the same breath. It didnt sell as well initially as it could've because of bad commercialization and bias from Smash fans who couldnt open their mind up to a new game. That game has more in common with DMC because its a controversial title that has to overcome a lot of hatred from a conservative fanbase. Gears and Uncharted didnt start off the same, Uncharted went under the radar and Gears hit the ground runnning. The Uncharted franchise wasnt fully appreciated until Uncharted 2.

Around the Network

LOL, look at the poll results. You know what they really say right? Sony and MS fans want their new systems. Nintendo fans don't want any new competition for the Wii U and a lowly 6% are happy with PS360.

Yes it's time for a new PS. 70 34.65%

Yes it's time for a new Xbox. 59 29.21%

Nope, I would stick to the PS3 10 year plan. 59 29.21%

Nope, I would wait until ... 14 6.93%

Total: 202

DaRev said:
Mandalore76 said:
DaRev said:

Sony even said that they had a 10 year plan for PS3 – but it’s only been six years so far since the launch of the PS3.

Everyone who talks about Sony's "10 year plan" for consoles does realize that the PS1 released in 1994, the PS2 in 2000, and the PS3 in 2006?  Those are six year intervals exactly.  To have no console out before 2016 with the new generation having already started in 2012 would be ludicrous.  They are clearly referring to the fact that they will continue to support the software for the console even after their next gen console has released.  The PS1 was supported for about 11 years after release, and the PS2 about 12 years.  But, each console had significant overlap with the release of it's successor.  PS4 will absolutely release within "the 10 year plan" of the PS3.

OK, but why can't the overlap come begining 2016 (or maybe a bit earlier) instaed of 2013? Yes a new console gen has started, but is Wii U that much of a threat to the PS360 with their already established installed user base and 3rd party support? So much so to warrant the uncertainty of new concole sales?

That would pre-suppose that Microsoft will wait to release 720 until 2015 or later, which is probably not the case.  Even if MS doesn't release a new console this year, they would more than likely do so in 2014.  Do you really think that Sony would sit a generation out for nearly 4 years, and give Microsoft a 2 year headstart (minimum) on building an install base over them?  That, after Sony has spent PS3's entire lifetime chasing XBox 360's sales trying to make up for a 1 year headstart?  Once the next XBox releases, I don't see a way for Sony to wait until 2016 to come out with a PS4.  And, as 360's sales continue trending downward, I don't see a way that they go another 4 years without releasing something new either.  If they both did that, it would only play into Nintendo's hands.  The Wii U games will only look better as developers become more accustomed to developing on the system.  More and more people would flock to it simply because it is the only "new" game system available and multiplats would look better on Wii U than PS3/360 anyway.  A 4 year install base would be pretty formidable, don't you think?

DaRev said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Wait.. your the same guy who made a thread about Halo 4 right?

yeah, about it being overrated. that didn't get very far, too many Halo fans in here I guess.

It didn't go far because you made a thread that calls Halo 4 overrated. You made a series of  reasons but that only made you look like your ranting about a game that you haven't even thoroughly played. 

Therefore a mod had to lock it.

Yay!!!

TeddostheFireKing said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
Well MS has the right state of mind. Gears of War and then ride XBLA and multiplats till November. Solid plan.

Sony is just releasing too many exclusives in the supposed year of the PS4. They were better off making some of these games launch titles.

Sony had no choice, the release dates were pushed back. What are they going to do, launch a bunch of dumbed down last gen titles? No doubt they would slaughter in the beginning Microsoft if The Last Guardian and FFVersusXIII got pushed back but we'll  have to wait after E3 for the fallout. The 360 and PS3 are going to be running 2013 with their multiplats alone regardless of whether the new consoles are coming.

Last of Us would make a great launch title.

Apparently you haven't been listening to Naughty Dog. The reason they didnt make Uncharted 4 on the PS3 is because every game they make has a graphical leap. If Uncharted 4 was going to have a graphical leap, Last of Us P4 would've left the PS3 version in the dust. You get used to this type of quality with Naughty Dog and truly believe them because they deliver.

You make it seem like they would refuse Sony if they demanded it. If Sony orders it, they would do it, personal philosophies be damned.

Just saying from a business perspective, LOU is better suited as a launch title.

Sony is known to give a lot of freedom to developers they can trust. If they didn't Sony Japan and Polyphony studios would be on Sonys shit list. They are good with second party as well. 

Anyway, the reason the Last of Us is the perfect farewell to the PS3 before the next gen begins is because it could just be starting a new franchise that could stand the test of time. Its a strong IP to attract westerners and also the 'Walking Dead' is written all over that. Gaming fans will definitely love to get their hands on any action like that, especially if its made by Naughty Dog. That and the installed base of the PS3 is at peak potential to see where its top sales land. The first game could see anywhere from 2-3 million sales. The anticipation for that game has grown to huge levels. That would make it the perfect platform for next gen to have a sequel, think about it.

I dunno....just going off the time tested fact that new IPs late in the gen tend to fail and new IPs at starts of the gen have a greater chance of seeing greater sales and sequels.

Off the top of my head.....Gears of War and Uncharted. Late gen examples....Alan Wake, Battle Royale.

Alan Wake came out in 2010 whatever it sold it deserved. Playstation Battle Royale cannot be compared as its existence is controversial much like DMC. Gears of War was marketed very well from the beginning and westerners ate it up. Uncharted didnt sell stellar until time went by, which is why Sony is always noted for their legs. Sony has legs, Microsoft has quick bursts of sales and then it goes down unless they bundle it.

Be a DJ, cause I like how you spin.

On topic:

Hardware sales are going down, but are managing to be held together, but software sales are nearing death, it's time for a fresh start. The sooner the better.

BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAA!!! 

Yay!!!

Around the Network
Nsanity said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
AgentZorn said:
They are releasing a new console because they don't want to be left behind by the Wii U.

lol Nintendo is on its own. Microsoft HAS to launch because they have no more exclusives left. Sony doesnt have to but they cannot let Microsoft gun for more of their marketshare. Why do you think Microsoft has the marketshare they have this gen? They took a large bite out of Sonys.

How is launching an entirly new system going to give them more excluisves than they previously had?

It doesn't, but once you launch a new console, everyone will want to see new iterations of each franchise.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

d21lewis said:
Why not just....I don't know....lower the price of their current consoles? Wouldn't that help hardware sales?

Sure that would help some.  But that also depends on how much they want to cut into their profit margins and how cheap they have been able to get their manufacturing costs down.

The other issue is I doubt that would do much to help software sales.  People jumping in this late just don't care about gaming as much, so they are unlikely to buy lots of games.  I would think that they are also more likely to buy used.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

i think people is expecting too much from next gen, i cant wait to Sonysoft to release launch dates/games and specs

The thing is, MS and Sony are not working with each other. They cant say, "hey, let's not release a new console until 201X". If Sony were to release a new console and MS did not have theirs ready, then The XBox would stop selling and vice versa. Sure the xbox 360 and ps3 could last more years, but consumers definetely are ready for something new. If someone provides it, then the current generation consoles would quickly be abandoned.

Business success involves constant evolving. Those businesses who are too slow to release new things could easily be left behind. A good example would be Blockbuster. They were number one in video rentals, but services like Metflix came along and took alltheir business. MS and Sony are trying to avoid those situations. A situation where their consoles become obsolete and they need to play catch up.

Mandalore76 said:
DaRev said:
Mandalore76 said:
DaRev said:

Sony even said that they had a 10 year plan for PS3 – but it’s only been six years so far since the launch of the PS3.

Everyone who talks about Sony's "10 year plan" for consoles does realize that the PS1 released in 1994, the PS2 in 2000, and the PS3 in 2006?  Those are six year intervals exactly.  To have no console out before 2016 with the new generation having already started in 2012 would be ludicrous.  They are clearly referring to the fact that they will continue to support the software for the console even after their next gen console has released.  The PS1 was supported for about 11 years after release, and the PS2 about 12 years.  But, each console had significant overlap with the release of it's successor.  PS4 will absolutely release within "the 10 year plan" of the PS3.

OK, but why can't the overlap come begining 2016 (or maybe a bit earlier) instaed of 2013? Yes a new console gen has started, but is Wii U that much of a threat to the PS360 with their already established installed user base and 3rd party support? So much so to warrant the uncertainty of new concole sales?

That would pre-suppose that Microsoft will wait to release 720 until 2015 or later, which is probably not the case.  Even if MS doesn't release a new console this year, they would more than likely do so in 2014.  Do you really think that Sony would sit a generation out for nearly 4 years, and give Microsoft a 2 year headstart (minimum) on building an install base over them?  That, after Sony has spent PS3's entire lifetime chasing XBox 360's sales trying to make up for a 1 year headstart?  Once the next XBox releases, I don't see a way for Sony to wait until 2016 to come out with a PS4.  And, as 360's sales continue trending downward, I don't see a way that they go another 4 years without releasing something new either.  If they both did that, it would only play into Nintendo's hands.  The Wii U games will only look better as developers become more accustomed to developing on the system.  More and more people would flock to it simply because it is the only "new" game system available and multiplats would look better on Wii U than PS3/360 anyway.  A 4 year install base would be pretty formidable, don't you think?

Well I agree with most of what your saying. Mainly that no one can really afford to give the over a headstart and I certainly don't expect Sony or MS to give the other a headstart in any future console gen. However, with that said, the 1 year headstart 360 had over Wii was obliterated and successfully chased down by the PS3., which is of course different from the dominace in the market the PS2 had when it released ahead of the original Xbox and Gamecube. So anything can happen, good to not so great, with a headstart. I assume that the headstart the Wii U has is not really going to make much of a difference, i.e that it will not dominate like the PS2 did, but will probably be more like the 360 and manage to keep steady pace or even a lead on the other consoles for a good number of years, but will not dominate.

And no doubt, what will contribute to that leveling out/restricting of the sales of the new consoles is the fact that the PS360 will still be selling well for about the next 2 years, I think, unless MS and Sony really decide to kill them off. To put my OP into context, the PS720 could end up in a situation like the Vita finds itself, actively being beaten by its predecessor for 1 or 2 years to come.

I think we will find that PS360 have much more life in them than other consoles did at the end of previous generations. Hence I don't see the real reason for abandoing PS360 just yet and especially not in 2013.  

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.