By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have Sony and Microsoft lost their minds?

Would you release a new PS or Xbox in 2013?

Yes it's time for a new PS. 84 35.00%

Yes it's time for a new Xbox. 74 30.83%

Nope, I would stick to the PS3 10 year plan. 65 27.08%

Nope, I would wait until ... 17 7.08%

Total:240
20happyballs said:
The thing is, MS and Sony are not working with each other. They cant say, "hey, let's not release a new console until 201X". If Sony were to release a new console and MS did not have theirs ready, then The XBox would stop selling and vice versa. Sure the xbox 360 and ps3 could last more years, but consumers definetely are ready for something new. If someone provides it, then the current generation consoles would quickly be abandoned.

Business success involves constant evolving. Those businesses who are too slow to release new things could easily be left behind. A good example would be Blockbuster. They were number one in video rentals, but services like Metflix came along and took alltheir business. MS and Sony are trying to avoid those situations. A situation where their consoles become obsolete and they need to play catch up.

Agreed.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

Around the Network

@DaRev: Actually, due to the headstard, among other things, Sony lost a huge amount of exclusives. When last gen started, Sony was in far better position than it is now; everyone wanted their games on PS3, while on PS4, they can't think any game being granted (atleast exclusively). PS4 is going to have a much harder start than PS3. And in the same way, MS needs not to give Sony a headstart if they want to beat Sony this gen.

And what about if Wii U had sold 20-25M units before 720 and PS4 are out. Well, it would be rather a game over for both.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I don't think we'd need another round of hardware if the games were good enough to last 10 years. Too many Halo's, CoD's is what is killing the games market not hardware. Just not having software houses with imagination is what will kill the console

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Apparently you haven't been listening to Naughty Dog. The reason they didnt make Uncharted 4 on the PS3 is because every game they make has a graphical leap. If Uncharted 4 was going to have a graphical leap, Last of Us P4 would've left the PS3 version in the dust. You get used to this type of quality with Naughty Dog and truly believe them because they deliver.

Sony is known to give a lot of freedom to developers they can trust. If they didn't Sony Japan and Polyphony studios would be on Sonys shit list. They are good with second party as well. 

Anyway, the reason the Last of Us is the perfect farewell to the PS3 before the next gen begins is because it could just be starting a new franchise that could stand the test of time. Its a strong IP to attract westerners and also the 'Walking Dead' is written all over that. Gaming fans will definitely love to get their hands on any action like that, especially if its made by Naughty Dog. That and the installed base of the PS3 is at peak potential to see where its top sales land. The first game could see anywhere from 2-3 million sales. The anticipation for that game has grown to huge levels. That would make it the perfect platform for next gen to have a sequel, think about it.

Alan Wake came out in 2010 whatever it sold it deserved. Playstation Battle Royale cannot be compared as its existence is controversial much like DMC. Gears of War was marketed very well from the beginning and westerners ate it up. Uncharted didnt sell stellar until time went by, which is why Sony is always noted for their legs. Sony has legs, Microsoft has quick bursts of sales and then it goes down unless they bundle it.

I didnt spin a thing. Alan Wake and Battle Royale shouldn't be said in the same breath. It didnt sell as well initially as it could've because of bad commercialization and bias from Smash fans who couldnt open their mind up to a new game. That game has more in common with DMC because its a controversial title that has to overcome a lot of hatred from a conservative fanbase. Gears and Uncharted didnt start off the same, Uncharted went under the radar and Gears hit the ground runnning. The Uncharted franchise wasnt fully appreciated until Uncharted 2.

OH GIVE ME A BREAK!!  You sound like you've been brainwashed!!

Uncharted started selling well because it was the first game outside of Super Stardust HD and Pain to have Trophies.  Uncharted 3 was NOT a "Huge graphical leap" over Uncharted 2.  Most devs will tell you that the beginning of a new gen is when people will try new IP's.  That's why Saints Row, Lost Planet, Bioshock, Dead Rising, Mass Effect, etc. all come out at a gen's beginning.  And The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess says "Hi".  It's a game that got pushed from Gamecube to Wii and released to great praise.  If The Last of Us is a good game (and, from your P.O.V., it will be because Naughty Dog can do no wrong) it could have done big numbers on the PS4 if there is going to be a PS4.  I still say 2015 before PS4 hits.  Remember God of War 2?  To this day, many people criticize the PS3 launch and said that they should have held back on GoW2 so that it could be a PS3 launch title.

And Smash fans own Nintendo consoles.  Playstation All-Stars is a Sony game on a Sony platform.  It was up to Sony fans to make that game a success and they showed that they just weren't excited for that game.  Stop drinking the Kool-Aid, man! 

DaRev said:
Mandalore76 said:

That would pre-suppose that Microsoft will wait to release 720 until 2015 or later, which is probably not the case.  Even if MS doesn't release a new console this year, they would more than likely do so in 2014.  Do you really think that Sony would sit a generation out for nearly 4 years, and give Microsoft a 2 year headstart (minimum) on building an install base over them?  That, after Sony has spent PS3's entire lifetime chasing XBox 360's sales trying to make up for a 1 year headstart?  Once the next XBox releases, I don't see a way for Sony to wait until 2016 to come out with a PS4.  And, as 360's sales continue trending downward, I don't see a way that they go another 4 years without releasing something new either.  If they both did that, it would only play into Nintendo's hands.  The Wii U games will only look better as developers become more accustomed to developing on the system.  More and more people would flock to it simply because it is the only "new" game system available and multiplats would look better on Wii U than PS3/360 anyway.  A 4 year install base would be pretty formidable, don't you think?

Well I agree with most of what your saying. Mainly that no one can really afford to give the over a headstart and I certainly don't expect Sony or MS to give the other a headstart in any future console gen. However, with that said, the 1 year headstart 360 had over Wii was obliterated and successfully chased down by the PS3., which is of course different from the dominace in the market the PS2 had when it released ahead of the original Xbox and Gamecube. So anything can happen, good to not so great, with a headstart. I assume that the headstart the Wii U has is not really going to make much of a difference, i.e that it will not dominate like the PS2 did, but will probably be more like the 360 and manage to keep steady pace or even a lead on the other consoles for a good number of years, but will not dominate.

And no doubt, what will contribute to that leveling out/restricting of the sales of the new consoles is the fact that the PS360 will still be selling well for about the next 2 years, I think, unless MS and Sony really decide to kill them off. To put my OP into context, the PS720 could end up in a situation like the Vita finds itself, actively being beaten by its predecessor for 1 or 2 years to come.

I think we will find that PS360 have much more life in them than other consoles did at the end of previous generations. Hence I don't see the real reason for abandoing PS360 just yet and especially not in 2013.  

That I won't dispute.  I do agree that they could both go another year.  I just don't see either one sitting out all of 2014 and especially not through 2015.  They would, or Sony at the very least, would continue to sell their current console, but also need to have a new console out and building an install base by then.