By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japanese sales: 3DS 2013 vs DS 2006 (Week 41!)

Tagged games:

What will the 3DS's year-end sales be in Japan?

Over 8 mil! There's still hope! 37 31.62%

7-8 mil. Absurdly well, but not DS 06 level. 23 19.66%

5.5-7 mil. Better than la... 33 28.21%

5-5.5 mil. Over Nintendo... 13 11.11%

Under 5 mil. Dooooooom! 7 5.98%

Under 3 mil. SUPER DOOOOOOOOOM!! 2 1.71%

Total:115

tagged

Around the Network

Up 130k+!!!

Week 6!

DS 06 -- 10,291
3DS 13 -- 135,407

No surprise here, and yet -- damn. 3DS outsells the DS by greater than 13-to-1. We knew this was coming, but it's still crazy. 3DS is boosted to 135k by the release of Dragon Quest VII 3D, which achieved 836k first-week sales. DS falls to 10k, most likely due to the recent reveal of the DS Lite, despite the game QuickSpot releasing to modest first-week sales of 19k.

Week 7 preview: The DS recovers significantly from the knee-jerk reaction to the Lite announcement, rising to 51,512 hardware sales. To my knowledge, no major 3DS games were released the week ending Feb 16. It will most likely decline in sales from week 6, but should stay above 100k and sustain a 2:1 ratio over the DS.

The tally thus far:

DS 06 -- 356,643
3DS 13 -- 775,877
Adv 3DS +419,234

3DS Is just insane, in this area Nintendo has done it again! Let see what the future will be for the Wii U, if it's at least half this good it will be ok.

Japan eating up the 3DS like High-Grade Sushi.

Sadly, no one seems to care in NA until Pokemon comes out.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network

I have faith in the 3DS :) It definitely seems to be a very attractive option over there. It's making me want to get one more.... but I'll have to wait a few months

benao87 said:
Re-tagging this.

Wondering how will DSlite change the situation.

The Lite alone doesn't change everything, but it is the start of the change. Consider this: outside of launch week and the following week, the week of the price cut, the week of the XL launch, and the Holidays (Nov-Dec), the 3DS has never reached 150k sales in a single week in Japan. In 2006, the DS exceeded that amount 26 weeks of the year. It broke 200k 8 times before the Holidays even started. 3DS has to build and maintain its lead now while DS sales are weak -- and then it has to pray that its spring and summer lineup led by Luigi's Mansion and Monster Hunter 4 can propel it into the stratosphere. If sales are anything short of Earth-shattering, it will fall short.

135k is very impressive for the 3DS; I didn't anticipate sales that high. Dragon Quest certainly did its job. But 135k was a below-average week for the DS in 2006, even exempting the Holidays. 3DS needs nothing short of a miracle to have a snowball's chance in hell at this.

the_dengle said:
benao87 said:
Re-tagging this.

The Lite alone doesn't change everything, but it is the start of the change. Consider this: outside of launch week and the following week, the week of the price cut, the week of the XL launch, and the Holidays (Nov-Dec), the 3DS has never reached 150k sales in a single week in Japan. In 2006, the DS exceeded that amount 26 weeks of the year. It broke 200k 8 times before the Holidays even started. 3DS has to build and maintain its lead now while DS sales are weak -- and then it has to pray that its spring and summer lineup led by Luigi's Mansion and Monster Hunter 4 can propel it into the stratosphere. If sales are anything short of Earth-shattering, it will fall short.

135k is very impressive for the 3DS; I didn't anticipate sales that high. Dragon Quest certainly did its job. But 135k was a below-average week for the DS in 2006, even exempting the Holidays. 3DS needs nothing short of a miracle to have a snowball's chance in hell at this.

I've said this before but I think that they'll be even by the time October rolls in (With some spikes MH4,Mansion), then BAM all eyes are glued to the Pokemon vs Pokemon race.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

I guess it all comes down to how games like Luigi's Mansion and other moderate-sized games do, and whether the mega weeks of Pokemon and Monster Hunter can be sustained.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

the_dengle said:
benao87 said:
Re-tagging this.

Certainly, it will be an interesting year.

DS is truly a beast.