By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japanese sales: 3DS 2013 vs DS 2006 (Week 41!)

Tagged games:

What will the 3DS's year-end sales be in Japan?

Over 8 mil! There's still hope! 37 31.62%

7-8 mil. Absurdly well, but not DS 06 level. 23 19.66%

5.5-7 mil. Better than la... 33 28.21%

5-5.5 mil. Over Nintendo... 13 11.11%

Under 5 mil. Dooooooom! 7 5.98%

Under 3 mil. SUPER DOOOOOOOOOM!! 2 1.71%

Total:115

3DS next week will be big! DQ7 according to COMG has over 1600pts! That should push hardware over 150k imo!

Around the Network

nice! didn't know DQ would come out next week

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

tbone51 said:
3DS next week will be big! DQ7 according to COMG has over 1600pts! That should push hardware over 150k imo!

150k is pretty high. For comparison, the 3DS has never hit 150k in Japan outside of its first two weeks (launch), the week of the price cut, the week of the XL launch, and various Nov/Dec weeks. The one-two of Kid Icarus and Kingdom Hearts back-to-back weeks pushed it to 119k. DQ Monsters pushed it to 100k.

Actually, it hasn't had many 100k weeks, either. Rarely without the aid of a Holiday, price cut, or remodel boost. So I wouldn't get my hopes up higher than 120k.

im gonna still go with 150k, even though being realistic, it'll be around 110k-125k!

Japan only? Seems like it will sell tons, maybe Nintendo will release 3DS lite. Also needs more games for the June-Pokemon area.

Around the Network

It will be pretty amazing if the 3DS can keep up with the DS after the release of the DSlite. That was when DS sales exploded worldwide.

So far so good!

I think HW this week could be anywhere between 120 and 150k, though that may be a little optimistic...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Re-tagging this.

Wondering how will DSlite change the situation.

DQ7 did wonders. Looking forward to update

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

RolStoppable said:
Not going to happen with the currently known games. For an 8m+ year there needs to be something new that draws in the masses. With these established IPs alone it will already have trouble to hit 7m in 2013.

On a sidenote, the DS has distorted the perception of people. I think the peak year for a non-Nintendo system in Japan was only in the ballpark of 4m. But here we are and call 5.5m "respectable".

I don't think the 3DS will beat the DS's record, but lifetime sales in Japan are a different story. If third parties drop the PSV, then the 3DS will have a much longer tail than the DS.

Did you miss the Pokémon game announcement?

edit: Nevermind, just noticed this was a slight necro thread.