By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japanese sales: 3DS 2013 vs DS 2006 (Week 41!)

Tagged games:

What will the 3DS's year-end sales be in Japan?

Over 8 mil! There's still hope! 37 31.62%

7-8 mil. Absurdly well, but not DS 06 level. 23 19.66%

5.5-7 mil. Better than la... 33 28.21%

5-5.5 mil. Over Nintendo... 13 11.11%

Under 5 mil. Dooooooom! 7 5.98%

Under 3 mil. SUPER DOOOOOOOOOM!! 2 1.71%

Total:115
postofficebuddy said:
The DS lite launch pretty much completely turned DS sales around back in 06. It's nothing but incredibly hard comparisons from here on out. Not a single week below 100k and sales mostly yo-yo'ing between 100k and 300k. I'm not saying it's impossible but 3DS has quite a road to plow.

Yeah, at this point I'm just about ready to throw in the towel. I'll keep up the chartz, of course, but I don't see how the 3DS could possibly keep up wth the DS from here. The 3DS has had a string of strong releases in the past few weeks, far stronger than the games released for DS in a comparable timeframe in '06, and it's struggling to maintain half the sales the DS will be having from now on. Basically, in order for this to happen, Luigi's Mansion has to be huge, Monster Hunter 4 has to be bigger than New Super Mario Bros, and Pokémon X & Y has to be bigger than Diamond & Pearl. With a few other surprises, maybe the 3DS can manage it, but it's very improbable.

Of course, I might note that the Lite cost a full $50 less than the basic 3DS model.

Around the Network

★DS★

week10 ~140k
week11 ~137k
week12 ~162k
week13 ~211k
week14 ~213k
week15 ~189k
week16 ~189k
week17 ~279k
week18 ~180k
week19 ~108k
week20 ~176k

Jesus! 3DS might be up but in a month it'll be losing O.o

Wait Wait Wait Wait! I kno 3DS has a 1% chance of winning, but how about Tomodachi Collection?

That can boost sales? Luigi Mansion 2 in March, Tomodachi Collection in April, MH4 summer time, Pokemon X/Y october!

RolStoppable said:

It was always hopeless, the Pokémon announcement didn't change that.

The 3DS costs 15k yen, I think the DSL costed the same.

That so? I don't know Japanese prices so well. And I never said it would be easy! I'm just having fun keeping score, haha.

tbone51 said:
Wait Wait Wait Wait! I kno 3DS has a 1% chance of winning, but how about Tomodachi Collection?

That can boost sales? Luigi Mansion 2 in March, Tomodachi Collection in April, MH4 summer time, Pokemon X/Y october!

3DS has a handful of games coming that could be very strong for it, or they could be completely useless. We'll have to wait and see. Tomodachi Collection will probably sell quite well, but pushing hardware is another matter. It's a pretty slim chance -- but that's what makes it interesting!

Had I not updated yet? Geez, I've been slacking.

Week 10!

DS 06 -- 140,392
3DS 13 -- 60,189

The DS continues to build momentum after the launch of the DS Lite in Week 9, while the 3DS continues to lose momentum without any major hardware-pushing games released since Dragon Quest VII in Week 6. This week, the DS more than doubles 3DS sales. No major titles were released for either system this week, although each saw a minor release: Far East of Eden II: Manji Maru for DS (6k FW), and Doraemon: Nobita to Himitsu Dougu Hakubutsukan for 3DS (12k FW).

Week 11 preview: DS sales fall by a measley 3k, with no noteworthy releases. Super Robot Wars UX is released for 3DS, and according to Famitsu & Media Create, it pushes 3DS sales up to about 69k. Another losing week for the 3DS.

The tally thus far:

DS 06 -- 716,598
3DS 13 -- 1,088,190
Adv 3DS +371,592

Around the Network

Depending on Tomodachi, We can see a better estimate around May. Im expecting week 15 to have 200k+ for japan only

People really forgot how much of a monster the DS was in 2006 ... 3DS is doing well, but DS 06 is a whole other level of dominance.

100k+ weeks were the norm even for weeks with no software releases at all.

I Think 3DS can still make it!

If there will be another great title like Zelda around December... than thinks may be different.

Switch!!!

No way 3DS can outperform DS's sales of 2006.

But, hey, anything is possible. Go 3DS!

3DS 13 WILL outsell DS 06.

I believe

Click HERE and be happy