By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japanese sales: 3DS 2013 vs DS 2006 (Week 41!)

Tagged games:

What will the 3DS's year-end sales be in Japan?

Over 8 mil! There's still hope! 37 31.62%

7-8 mil. Absurdly well, but not DS 06 level. 23 19.66%

5.5-7 mil. Better than la... 33 28.21%

5-5.5 mil. Over Nintendo... 13 11.11%

Under 5 mil. Dooooooom! 7 5.98%

Under 3 mil. SUPER DOOOOOOOOOM!! 2 1.71%

Total:115

Week 11!

DS 06 -- 137,263
3DS 13 -- 68,856

Despite having no noteworthy releases at all, DS sales fall by a minuscule 3k. Dat Lite momentum. Super Robot Wars UX (118k FW) is released on 3DS, pushing it up by about 8k from the week before. So the 3DS just barely manages not to be outsold 2-to-1.

Week 12 preview: DS sales start to get ridiculous next week. Pokémon Ranger is released alongside a couple of smaller titles, driving DS hardware above 160k, a point the 3DS has never reached outside of a Holiday, price cut, or hardware launch week. Nevertheless, the 3DS is also set to receive a major boost next week with the release of Luigi's Mansion 2.

The tally thus far:

DS 06 -- 853,861
3DS 13 -- 1,157,046
Adv 3DS +303,185

Around the Network

Hopefully luigi mansion pushes hardware, Tomodachi collection release week will be massive. It opens up with a bundle 3ds xl and a new color xl!

3DS could pull it off this year, or least be damn close. It's a difficult comparison though, because the PS Vita price drop and flush of software releases has definitely had an impact on Nintendo's 3DS business. 3DS has been steadily below 80k per week since early March, which isn't encouraging if we're looking for the console to break 100+k per week.

It will be very interesting to see the impact of Luigi's Mansion on hardware and software sales. I predict a large increase in hardware/software, but with the lack of a bundle, I have my doubts that it will bring 3DS hardware over 100k in it's debut week.

Monster Hunter 4 and Pokemon X/Y seem far more likely to cause dramatic increases on hardware sales than Luigi's Mansion or Shin Megami. I see Luigi and Megami as merely stopping the bleeding and helping sales remain steady.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Screamapillar said:
3DS could pull it off this year, or least be damn close. It's a difficult comparison though, because the PS Vita price drop and flush of software releases has definitely had an impact on Nintendo's 3DS business. 3DS has been steadily below 80k per week since early March, which isn't encouraging if we're looking for the console to break 100+k per week.

It will be very interesting to see the impact of Luigi's Mansion on hardware and software sales. I predict a large increase in hardware/software, but with the lack of a bundle, I have my doubts that it will bring 3DS hardware over 100k in it's debut week.

Monster Hunter 4 and Pokemon X/Y seem far more likely to cause dramatic increases on hardware sales than Luigi's Mansion or Shin Megami. I see Luigi and Megami as merely stopping the bleeding and helping sales remain steady.

your forgetting Tomodachi Collection! in about 3-4 weeks you'll see a massive 3ds bump

The OP of this thread considers the 3DS done for (compared to DS)?

Welp, I guess you're a goner, 3DS of '13. < _ >

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:

how you kno that lol, it has a small chance, depending on how much Tomodachi+Pokemon+MH4 pull!

tbone51 said:

how you kno that lol, it has a small chance, depending on how much Tomodachi+Pokemon+MH4 pull!

I think the drugs were doing the talking here... it's okay, though, Tbone. We'll all make it through.

NintendoPie said:
tbone51 said:

I think the drugs were doing the talking here... it's okay, though, Tbone. We'll all make it through.

wat lol, Did people think 3DS in 2011 would sell 13mil? Nope. There's a small chance. Dont forget it

NintendoPie said:

It looks very unlikely at this point, but I won't say it's a certainty. We have no clue what Monster Hunter 4 will do to 3DS sales. None at all. 3G was one thing... this is a whole new ballgame. Tomodachi is another wild card, and who knows what games will be coming in the second half of the year? Kirby? Zelda? More DQ, or FF? It's impossible to predict the 3DS's autumn lineup in Japan -- which makes it impossible to predict sales. All I can say is that I expect greater than last year, so over 6 million, which is already very impressive.

wow, didn't know the ds was such a beast during it's early years.

the 3ds was never going to catch it though, unfortunately :(