By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Konami: "No chance" for a Wii U version of Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2

Veknoid_Outcast said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
All this talk of Castlevania inspired me to look up the games. They really haven't sold well :(

My favorite, Aria of Sorrow, is arguably the best GBA game and it didn't break 300,000.

Anyway, back on topic, if I was an executive at Konami I don't think I would bother making the game for Wii U. It's just a risky proposition. Although they could have some fun with connectivity between the 3DS game and the Wii U version...something like the relationship between Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime.

Castlevania broke even which is why it got a sequel. A very underrated hit to be exact. There are games that have sold worse like Sleeping Dogs, for instance which is horrible, because that game was a bitchslap to GTA IV and a wakeup call to how combat should be done in GTA style games. The Castlevania reboot deserves the Demon Souls/ Batman:AA treatment because it is quite a challenging hack n slash on the hardest settings and a great story, with awesome production value. Its no God of War, but I would say its truly a great mixture of God of War, Castlevania and Shadow of the Colossus. If you like all three of those games, you really cannot lose. This is where the word underrated is thrown around, because its rather true.

I'm really looking forward to playing it. I got it for Xmas this year for 360 so there's no excuse not to play it.

I'm a sucker for Castlevania games. SoTN, Rondo of Blood, Aria of Sorrow, I even like the N64 Castlevania!

I just hope the franchise stays alive and well. In the end I don't really care if Wii U gets it or not. I just want to make sure we as fans get it.

Got it used didnt ya. But yes I agree, its a great game that deserves to be played. Hopefully it will make the sales it deserves next time. There are parts of that game that will shock you. LOL

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
All this talk of Castlevania inspired me to look up the games. They really haven't sold well :(

My favorite, Aria of Sorrow, is arguably the best GBA game and it didn't break 300,000.

Anyway, back on topic, if I was an executive at Konami I don't think I would bother making the game for Wii U. It's just a risky proposition. Although they could have some fun with connectivity between the 3DS game and the Wii U version...something like the relationship between Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime.

Castlevania broke even which is why it got a sequel. A very underrated hit to be exact. There are games that have sold worse like Sleeping Dogs, for instance which is horrible, because that game was a bitchslap to GTA IV and a wakeup call to how combat should be done in GTA style games. The Castlevania reboot deserves the Demon Souls/ Batman:AA treatment because it is quite a challenging hack n slash on the hardest settings and a great story, with awesome production value. Its no God of War, but I would say its truly a great mixture of God of War, Castlevania and Shadow of the Colossus. If you like all three of those games, you really cannot lose. This is where the word underrated is thrown around, because its rather true.

I'm really looking forward to playing it. I got it for Xmas this year for 360 so there's no excuse not to play it.

I'm a sucker for Castlevania games. SoTN, Rondo of Blood, Aria of Sorrow, I even like the N64 Castlevania!

I just hope the franchise stays alive and well. In the end I don't really care if Wii U gets it or not. I just want to make sure we as fans get it.

Got it used didnt ya. But yes I agree, its a great game that deserves to be played. Hopefully it will make the sales it deserves next time. There are parts of that game that will shock you. LOL

No! Brand new, straight off of Amazon :)

Veknoid_Outcast said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

No! Brand new, straight off of Amazon :)

LOL I need to start using Amazon to buy new but get better prices.

oniyide said:
zarx said:
Jumpin said:

Castlevania hasn't been big since Castlevania 4. This one will sell a few hundred K at most.

3D Castlevania games also have a history of being terrible and uninspired.

The first game sold 1.3m copies and is aparently the fastest selling entry in the series...

So you could argue the series has never been bigger lol. Tho I wouldn't be surprised if Symphony of the Night sold more with all the rereleases.

SotN is the best selling one, so i dont know what the hell Jumpin is on

You're going by the data on this site, which is incorrect. According to this site, Castlevania 1-3, three of the most popular games on NES each sold 0 copies, and that Castlevania 4 sold 250K units in Japan but 0 copies outside of Japan. Even with just the 250K sales for Super Castlevania, it is still the highest recorded Castlevania game in Japan by a significant margin.

Everyone who owned an NES knows that Castlevania was one of the biggest series on it. Castlevania is more of a niche series today.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

meh love castlevania series got lords of shadow on my xbox and that game is...well to put nicely i hate it

Around the Network
Alphachris said:
Well, despite the huge sales figures of the Wii it wasn't really a good place for singleplayer story-focused action-adventures...

I have read through the top 50 selling games of the Wii and these were the singleplayer story-oriented games (or at least no simulations, party or sports games):

Mario:
05) New Super Mario Bros Wii
09) Super Mario Galaxy
15) Super Mario Galaxy 2
32) Super Paper Mario
40) Super Mario Allstars

Zelda:
17) Twilight Princess
30) Skyward Sword

LEGO:
20) Lego Star Wars complete Saga
38) Lego Batman
49) Lego Indiana Jones
50) Lego Harry Potter

Rest:
19) Donkey Kong Country Returns
35) Disney Epic Mickey
39) Sonic and the Secret Rings
44) Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure

So in the top 50 there is no game that shows that there is a dedicated fanbase of a game like Castlevania Lord of Shadow with a Dark athmosphere and storytelling, Horror elements, etc. The PS3 has God of War in the top 50 and games like Dante's Inferno sold almost 2 million copy among both consoles and Darksiders 1 million. Castlevania on the Wii sold 140.000 copies (but this was an other genre, to be fair).

Giving this facts a 2D Sequel to Symphony of the Night would have been worth a try on the Wii. But I personally can understand why Konami is not bringing Castlevania Lords of Shadow to the Wii U.

What game was even on Wii U that was like Lords of Shadow?

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

mushroomboy5 said:
oniyide said:
mushroomboy5 said:
oniyide said:
mushroomboy5 said:
They already alienated their fanbase with the original Lord of shadows game...clearly they're aiming for the smallest audience possible.

(note:no offence, i thought it was great but lets face it noone bought it and a lot of castlevania fans seemed to hate it as fans hate it when companies fuck with the formula)

sigh i just wish they'd stuck with the 'symphony' style games on the nintendo handhelds...

thats funny considering that LoS sold better than any of the DS Castlevania games

yes so funny I fear my sides have split!!!!

Doesn't mean it's a better game. (besides LOS didn't exactly sell well, 1.2 million if you combine both systems...pretty piss poor for a hyped up reboot intended to appeal more  to the god of war kids of today than the longtime fans)

didnt say anything about it being better, dont try to put words in my mouth. Im just giving accurate info, take it how you want it. And FYI the average Castlevania on Ninty handheld sell about 300,000 copies, if you think LOS didnt sell well then the Castlevania on handhelds must have done horrible.

No I never said you said it was better... you merely implied it by suggesting sales were more important than personal preference and taste (and to be fair maybe they are to you)...all I was saying was that I liked those older style 2d castlevania games (some of which were on the ds, others on other systems) and wish they'd make em still on some console (don't really care which one FYI...I usually own em all anyway which is why I'll still buy los2 regardless).

Yet I'm still fairly confident LOS would have ranked a bigger disappointment financially for konami than any of those 'dud' ds games... The ps3 version alone didn't even crack 1 million and would have cost a hell of a lot more to produce than those old 2d games. Whether it outsold previous castlevania games or not it was still a failure (in terms of sales). Konami would have known the ds games where aimed at a niche market and weren't exactly big budget hd games, while Lord of Shadows was a definate attempt to make the series a viable mainstream franchise, which it didn't really do (maybe its popularity will grow with the sequel but I'll wager if the sequel sells as poorely as the first, we wont see another and konami will try another reboot with different company at some point).

OT I suspect the real reason LOS 2 is not coming to wii u is mainly cos at this stage it's too much of a financial risk given that the game may not even sell over a million on the more established consoles combined, more than anything to do with console bias.

Anyway, gotta go...all thsi castlvania talk has made me wanna replay Lord of Shadows.

never implied anything I like the 2d castlevanias but whether you and I like it is not important to Konami. They see that LoS sold 1.WE mil copies it sold and they see where they can go with the franchise, even though I do agree with you on the cost of the 2d ones versus the 3d ones. But you might wanna kill that dream of seeing a a 2d one on a console. Unless its through DL. They will make it 3d for consoles and 2d on handhels and it will work. Hell you're still buying the sequel anyway so it has worked.

Jumpin said:
oniyide said:
zarx said:
Jumpin said:

Castlevania hasn't been big since Castlevania 4. This one will sell a few hundred K at most.

The first game sold 1.3m copies and is aparently the fastest selling entry in the series...

So you could argue the series has never been bigger lol. Tho I wouldn't be surprised if Symphony of the Night sold more with all the rereleases.

You're going by the data on this site, which is incorrect. According to this site, Castlevania 1-3, three of the most popular games on NES each sold 0 copies, and that Castlevania 4 sold 250K units in Japan but 0 copies outside of Japan. Even with just the 250K sales for Super Castlevania, it is still the highest recorded Castlevania game in Japan by a significant margin.

Everyone who owned an NES knows that Castlevania was one of the biggest series on it. Castlevania is more of a niche series today.

No not even close, we all know that any games prior to the PS era i hard to track. Even if Castlevania 4 sold just as well in America and Europe as it did in Japan that would still put it under SotN numbers and im not even counting ports or DL sales. Funny how all of a sudden you dont trust this site's numbers when it doesnt make your company of choice look good. How about this you find some actual for those NES games and the SNES one, until then SotN is the BEST selling game in the series deal with it.

Mr Khan said:
think-man said:
Nintendo fans had the wii to prove they were going to support third party....A few games sold good most sadly didn't, you made your bed now lie on it.

Don't you dare say that. We should not be expected to be a bunch of guinea-pigs, expected to buy crap in order to "earn" good third party support. Either give us good third party support or we aren't going to buy anything.

Don't ever say that again. Ever.

Fair point, I shouldn't have been so harsh with my wording, In fact I was wrong it's the devs fault for making bad ports not the fans.

Jumpin said:
oniyide said:
zarx said:
Jumpin said:

CastleVania is a cult series rather than a mass one. CastleVania 3 an Vampire's Kiss often fetch well in excess of £200. There weren't actually that many copies of a lot of the games pumped out.

Even Symphony of the Night (inc the Limited Edition) hit the bargain bucket relatively quickly at time of release. I'm kicking myself now for not picking up loads of £10 brand new and sealed copies in like 1998 lol. I'd have been minted! It'd be interesting to know how most of the have sold.

I think the most common ones are actually the 1st on NES and 4th on NES in the "old school" bunch.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.