By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Who makes the best Asian movies?

Japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
foodfather said:
Hong Kong for me. John Woo and Wong Kar Wai are master film makers.

yeah, Wong Kar Wai

you know that he's a pretty important director when Jude Law, Rachel Weiss, Natalie Portman and David Straithorn all jumped at the chance to make a movie with him....

really talented filmmakers make the best Asian movies

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

brendude13 said:
The only Asian films I can think of off the top of my head are Ip Man and the Bruce Lee films, so I would say China too.

well Bruce Lee was Hong Kong, and I think Ip Man was Hong Kong too, I think, or was it mainland China?

Lafiel said:

.. are you guys kidding ? I like Hero,House of the flying Daggers and Red Cliff, but it's Japan by a landslide

even Akira Kurosawa's fantastic movies like Yojimbo, Shichinin no Samurai or Ran alone tip it into their favor, but additionally there are things like Zatoichi, the various horror movies like Ringu or Dark Water and ofcourse the ever fun Battle Royale

and I'm not even counting the fabulous anime movies from Ghibli and Satoshi Kon yet

Meh, Chinese movies are more entertaining especially if you include Honk Kong cinema. 

Around the Network

Korea has stepped their game up this past decade, lots of future classics.

Of all time though, it'd be HK, then Japan.

^_^

skeezer said:
Korea has stepped their game up this past decade, lots of future classics.

Of all time though, it'd be HK, then Japan.

All time, I think it might be Japan because of Akira Kurosawa.  I mean Kurosawa influenced legendary Hollywood Icons like George Lucas, Francis Ford Copalla, and Steven Spielberg.  Plus anime too.

Hong Kong would be second all time I think.

Peter Jackson.

Chris Hu said:
Lafiel said:

.. are you guys kidding ? I like Hero,House of the flying Daggers and Red Cliff, but it's Japan by a landslide

even Akira Kurosawa's fantastic movies like Yojimbo, Shichinin no Samurai or Ran alone tip it into their favor, but additionally there are things like Zatoichi, the various horror movies like Ringu or Dark Water and ofcourse the ever fun Battle Royale

and I'm not even counting the fabulous anime movies from Ghibli and Satoshi Kon yet

Meh, Chinese movies are more entertaining especially if you include Honk Kong cinema. 

*shrugs* I feel there is not enough diversity in HK cinema, but despite my first post in this thread I am aware that I actually didn't dive deeply enough into asian movie scenes apart from the japanese one to form an "objective opinion" (oxymoron) about which one is the best (right now/historically).

think-man said:
Peter Jackson.

I didn't realize that Peter Jackson made asian movies!

LOL!