By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Who makes the best Asian movies?

All these thriller movies from south Korea made me realize how corrupt their justice system is.

Around the Network

Japan for me.

The movies of Kurosawa and Miyazaki -- two of the all-time greats -- push it over the top. Add the work of Ozu and that tips the scales even further in favor of Japan.

China has made some really huge strides in the past 20 years, mostly thanks to Zhang Yimou. Raise the Red Lantern and House of Flying Daggers are both masterworks.

Lafiel said:

^ I would also throw Red Cliff in there, but you should have some knowledge about chinese history (end of Han dynasty) for that (and it's very long, especially in the 2 part version)

Or you can just be a Dynasty Warriors fan.

I am not one of those guys that knows a lot of movies and such, but I'm liking what South Korea's been doing lately. I have high hopes on the future of Korean movies.

I happen to be a fan of those historical Chinese movies that involve epic field battles and/or martial arts. I think they're really well done.

North Korea

Seriously though, Japan. If you don't count anime, then Hong Kong (Infernal Affairs, anything by John Woo and Jackie Chan).

Around the Network

Based on what i've been seeing lately, i'de say Korean movies are among the best i've ever seen.

That being said, Japanese and Chinese movies are mostly good as well.

Chris Tucker.

China/Hong Kong because of Jackie Chan and all the other martial art films.
Then South Korea because of films like Old Boy.

Well excluding Anime I might vote for Korea. But since Japan has anime, well...

Some amazing movies I've seen from Korea in recent years: I saw the Devil, Chaser, Mother, The Man WIth No Name, Oldboy. TMWNN is one of my favorite movies of all time and Oldboy is probably my favorite movie ever.

It's just that simple.

Those chop chop movies have always been based in Hong Kong