By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony needs to drop Dust 514 and create a shooter from scratch

iceland said:
Halo generic? I see people say this but name a game that is even remotely close to halo.
"the skill requirement to be good is very low" To be good against bad players, you know like every other game.

Halo is a twitch shooter, but it isnt spray and pray like COD. 

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
shooters just aren't Sony's game this gen.

i don't think Sony should scrap Dust514. they should give dust a shot, and if it averages out, get the dev's of Dust to create a console shooter.

in-listing former bungie, infinity ward, ect people, doesn't guarantee anything. S.T.A.G.E. wishful thinking isn't your thing.

id say Sony should in-list, Platinum games, Visceral Games, a deal with epic for people can fly, or Crytec.

maybe even get lightbox interactive to create a shooter not related to starhawk.

Wishful thinking? Have you played Halo 4? Microsoft spared no expense to get the best of the best to breathe new life into Halo but keep Halo the way he knew it in gameplay. Dust looks old and dated, exactly like what you would expect from a free to play game. The movement seems clunky amongst other issues. In listing from Bungie and Infinity Ward doesn't guarantee anything, but it gives Sony a fighting chance. Crytek is in good with Microsoft so I dont think they are about to help Sony with anything but yes recruit the top members of those teams who have departed. I'll hire light box interactive to STFU. 

i hate Halo. i've yet to play 4 but Reach to me is the best one, and that's not saying much. hey! atleastnit's better then COD lol.

agreed.

STFU?

Best Halo since part three. I wasnt a fan of Reach at all.

Let them have Halo.

What the PlayStation needs is a definitive RPG. Sony needs to gather all their resources and make the ultimate classical rpg with the production value of uncharted, the easy to understand mechanics and complexity of god of war and long term dedication of grand turismo. They need a response to the Elder Scrolls. This rpg most have zero hiccups on the playstation, but have the graphics of The Last of Us.

They need a game that can be played for 100 hours single player with a campaign that rivals Game of Thrones , but still have competitive multiplayer and co-op.

Planetside 2 will come to PS4, you can bet on it, and I think Everquest Next will make it to ps4 as well.

Other than SOE I don't know any other Sony studio capable of doing an RPG, let alone the one i described above. i think Sony needs to make a new studio with the sole purpose of making classical RPGs. (maybe San Diego studio)

what can i say rpg is my jam...

El_Machete said:
Let them have Halo.

What the PlayStation needs is a definitive RPG. Sony needs to gather all their resources and make the ultimate classical rpg with the production value of uncharted, the easy to understand mechanics and complexity of god of war and long term dedication of grand turismo. They need a response to the Elder Scrolls. This rpg most have zero hiccups on the playstation, but have the graphics of The Last of Us.

They need a game that can be played for 100 hours single player with a campaign that rivals Game of Thrones , but still have competitive multiplayer and co-op.

Planetside 2 will come to PS4, you can bet on it, and I think Everquest Next will make it to ps4 as well.

Other than SOE I don't know any other Sony studio capable of doing an RPG, let alone the one i described above. i think Sony needs to make a new studio with the sole purpose of making classical RPGs. (maybe San Diego studio)

Agreed. I've recently been making a list of RPGs I want to play on my PS3 and damn, this list is so short! This gen is so bad when it comes to RPGs. It's nowhere near the level of RPG love of the PS2/PSX generations. A bad a$$ AAA RPG with the same amount of love as Uncharted or The Last of Us receive would be huge. Mass Effect is the only RPG series that gets that this gen, but it was an X-box exclusive for some time and is stronger there than on PS3.

Still, Sony needs a grand FPS game or two. Cause... why not? People want these games.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
shooters just aren't Sony's game this gen.

i don't think Sony should scrap Dust514. they should give dust a shot, and if it averages out, get the dev's of Dust to create a console shooter.

in-listing former bungie, infinity ward, ect people, doesn't guarantee anything. S.T.A.G.E. wishful thinking isn't your thing.

id say Sony should in-list, Platinum games, Visceral Games, a deal with epic for people can fly, or Crytec.

maybe even get lightbox interactive to create a shooter not related to starhawk.

Wishful thinking? Have you played Halo 4? Microsoft spared no expense to get the best of the best to breathe new life into Halo but keep Halo the way he knew it in gameplay. Dust looks old and dated, exactly like what you would expect from a free to play game. The movement seems clunky amongst other issues. In listing from Bungie and Infinity Ward doesn't guarantee anything, but it gives Sony a fighting chance. Crytek is in good with Microsoft so I dont think they are about to help Sony with anything but yes recruit the top members of those teams who have departed. I'll hire light box interactive to STFU. 

i hate Halo. i've yet to play 4 but Reach to me is the best one, and that's not saying much. hey! atleastnit's better then COD lol.

agreed.

STFU?

Best Halo since part three. I wasnt a fan of Reach at all.

i'll say this for Reach. it wasn't Halo. Reach was trying to do something(outside the campaign) that Bungie should have tried doing with whatever new game they are working on.

the first thing i play'd was the offline multiplayer, and after having not played a shooter in a yr. came in second. i had no idea how to do anything but shoot, and this was against guys that played avidly daily, but that doesn't mean i had no idea of what i was doing.

these guys get onlline and dominate. the idea was to take down KZ which kept coming in second lol. but i only came in second cause i killed the least and died the least. sometimes 24-12 or 12-4 lol. most the times being the only one with a positive record and always having a positive record. 

can't say that much for KZ lol.

most the battles i had were long range.

i played online a few times but the last time was the worse. i hadn't played a shooter in 4-6 months, and i was the only one to get any kills. but going 2 and (what ever the number was it was bad) out isn't anything to bragg about.

4 matches and only 2 kills in each match. the last 3 i managed not to die lol. all that extra crap was not Halo and shouldn't have been added in Reach.

again, me saying Reach is the best of the ones i've played, isn't saying much. i did the official Pre E3 Halo4 thread and liked wht i saw so i'll get my hands on 4 sometime soon. i'd likely have played it after christmas, if my brothr-inlaws brother wouldn't have tried to still it when his mother was buying it.

needless to say she opted out of the purchase.

Around the Network
El_Machete said:
Let them have Halo.

agreed

Planetside 2 coming to PS3 would be awesome. RPG's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KylieDog said:
Halo is very generic and dumbed down, the skill requirement to be good is very low, similar to CoD. BF3 is the same also and you'll notice BF3 sales have spiked compared to rest of series.

Is a reason both Halo and CoD and now BF3 are popular and more tactical and skill based shooters fail to sell such numbers.

Frankly, we don't need more dumbed down shooters.

As much as I don't like Halo 4 but calling Halo a generic, dumbed down shooter is redicules. Just check your profile and notice that you only ever play Halo Reach so you judging the series off that game. Halo multiplayer is by far the most skilled involve shooter on any home console that's maybe that's the reason I give up in Multiplayer.

bonkers555 said:
KylieDog said:
Halo is very generic and dumbed down, the skill requirement to be good is very low, similar to CoD. BF3 is the same also and you'll notice BF3 sales have spiked compared to rest of series.

Is a reason both Halo and CoD and now BF3 are popular and more tactical and skill based shooters fail to sell such numbers.

As much as I don't like Halo 4 but calling Halo a generic, dumbed down shooter is redicules. Just check your profile and notice that you only ever play Halo Reach so you judging the series off that game. Halo multiplayer is by far the most skilled involve shooter on any home console that's maybe that's the reason I give up in Multiplayer.

that statement makes no sense or maybe you should re word it

logic56 said:
bonkers555 said:
KylieDog said:

that statement makes no sense or maybe you should re word it

Sorry, my english is really bad it being my second language. I meant that Halo multiplayer require more skill then any other shooters out there.

@OP

While I agree with the gist of your sentiment. That Sony needs to find a answer for Halo, and that they need to get their shit in gear right now. I feel your solution is wanting, because it doesn't address the real problem. Namely that Senior management that is responsible for giving the go ahead on projects is either incompetent, unimaginative, or in all likelihood far too provincially minded. No amount of money, or reputable talent will ever overcome straight up bad taste, or bad direction.

I really think it is a problem with provincial thinking. The stories for both Killzone and Resistance read like they came straight out of Anime. Like someone was trying to create a concept that a Japanese executive might be able to relate enough to that they might sign off on a game. That said it is really to the developers credit that the games turned out as well as they did. In spite of such a obvious handicap out of the gate.

I think you probably have to understand why Rambo First Blood was a pretty cool fucking movie to appreciate what it is that North American audiences want. Anything that doesn't stem from that sentiment isn't likely to be a huge success, and anyone who doesn't think that movie is cool. Shouldn't be making choices about what the North American audience wants.