By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo! Wii U needs a media server capability now!

Nintendo aren't even capable of coding this.

Around the Network

Netflix and Hulu+ is all I need. Actually, I wouldn't mind a Pandora app.

jake_the_fake1 said:

The Wii U needs no such function. Nintendo made the Wii U for games and games alone.

Nintendo's message is clear, this is why it doesn't have blu-ray play back despite having a blu-ray drive. The Wii U's main selling point is it's innovative tablet like controller, not it's media capabilities.

I'm actually quite surprised that Nintendo approved these video streaming apps, in all honesty they should be removed because it seems to be causing some confusion. If people want to visit these video streaming services they should do so from another device or just use the Wii U awesome browser.

I'm just sick and tired of people trying to have features which simply aren't in Nintendos DNA, Nintendo's DNA is all about innovation, gameplay, classic franchises which everyone loves, power efficient and price sensitive hardware. Not a power hungry graphics work horse, which is costly, and an over engineered piece of hardware who's main goal is the dominance of the living room through complete multimedia capabilities putting gaming in equal or second position.

kudos for Nintendo for being unique and different yet again. We who are fans of Nintendo games should rejoice for Nintnedo's bold direction and reject any direction which will put gaming in equal or second position, after all this is what allowed the Wii to be the sales monster that it was. In my opinion anyone who doesn't feel the same way may have a bias towards Sony or Microsoft.

Yeah, because media encode/decode requires a power horse...

Maybe Nintendo's old DNA was like that, but times have changed, and people are using their consumer electronics for multi-functional purposes. Nintendo know this, and that's why they have streaming video. Maybe that answers your question, they got the memo.

jake_the_fake1 said:

The Wii U needs no such function. Nintendo made the Wii U for games and games alone.

Nintendo's message is clear, this is why it doesn't have blu-ray play back despite having a blu-ray drive. The Wii U's main selling point is it's innovative tablet like controller, not it's media capabilities.

I'm actually quite surprised that Nintendo approved these video streaming apps, in all honesty they should be removed because it seems to be causing some confusion. If people want to visit these video streaming services they should do so from another device or just use the Wii U awesome browser.

I'm just sick and tired of people trying to have features which simply aren't in Nintendos DNA, Nintendo's DNA is all about innovation, gameplay, classic franchises which everyone loves, power efficient and price sensitive hardware. Not a power hungry graphics work horse, which is costly, and an over engineered piece of hardware who's main goal is the dominance of the living room through complete multimedia capabilities putting gaming in equal or second position.

kudos for Nintendo for being unique and different yet again. We who are fans of Nintendo games should rejoice for Nintnedo's bold direction and reject any direction which will put gaming in equal or second position, after all this is what allowed the Wii to be the sales monster that it was. In my opinion anyone who doesn't feel the same way may have a bias towards Sony or Microsoft.

WiiU doesn't have BD playback because they are too cheap to pay the royalty fees, not because it's a gaming device. Same thing happened with the Wii and DVD. My Wii had no issue playing DVDs once I modded it.

Nowadays people want multifunctional devices, not just a device that does games and games alone. I want my next console to stream movies, stream music, play games and more. Just like my PS3 does now.

You might not think it's important, but a whole lot of us do.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
jake_the_fake1 said:

WiiU doesn't have BD playback because they are too cheap to pay the royalty fees, not because it's a gaming device. Same thing happened with the Wii and DVD. My Wii had no issue playing DVDs once I modded it.

Nowadays people want multifunctional devices, not just a device that does games and games alone. I want my next console to stream movies, stream music, play games and more. Just like my PS3 does now.

Netflix, Hulu+, and Amazon are already offered. I suppose you want more.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Euphoria14 said:

No, that's not what he meant. Reread jake_the_fake1's post and you'll understand what Euphoria means.

e.g. Jake was saying that Nintendo refused BD, DVD because they only focus on games. Maybe for DVD it was possible, but that was reactionary to the PS (Yamauchi was a bitter man). In fact, Nintendo had the Playstation vision before the Sony Playstation even came out. But when BD came along, it was more a matter of saving on pennies than being orthodox about games.

sethnintendo said:

This and the post above nail this. Why should Nintendo waste effort on video delivery when they can easily partner with companies whose core business is video? The TVii service makes sense, because Nintendo is in a position as a hardware vendor to offer a way to control all the hardware in the living room, but video is far outside of Nintendo's core competencies and hasn't proven to be much of a competitive advantage in the console race.

Sony burned billions trying to be the definitive video console. That got them massive losses, third place in console sales, and they got to watch while everybody bought $100 BluRay players, Roku boxes or Apple TVs.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
sethnintendo said:

This and the post above nail this. Why should Nintendo waste effort on video delivery when they can easily partner with companies whose core business is video? The TVii service makes sense, because Nintendo is in a position as a hardware vendor to offer a way to control all the hardware in the living room, but video is far outside of Nintendo's core competencies and hasn't proven to be much of a competitive advantage in the console race.

Sony burned billions trying to be the definitive video console. That got them massive losses, third place in console sales, and they got to watch while everybody bought $100 BluRay players, Roku boxes or Apple TVs.

What the hell are you talking about? All they needed to do was add the capability to read Windows media server. Its just not that complicated and a VERY simple add in to your product. Hence why I can get a free one for my phone in two seconds.

The lack of allowing the BD player in the WiiU read bluray movies is just cost associated. Frankly, I would rather have the option to download a video player for $9.99 than no option at all.

Nintendo needs to think outside the box and at least provide the option via eShop. Small fees to download the proper software makes sense and fits their channel based approach. The hardware is there, just software is required.

sethnintendo said:

You know that we all don't live in the States, right? Netflix is slowly expanding but isn't available everywhere. It launched last year in Europe and it is available in Ireland, UK and Scandinavia. LoveFilm (owned by Amazon) is available in Germany, UK and Scandinavia.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

seriously?

if u live in the usa you had a chance to subscribe to playon.tv for FREE until dec 26th. now its $40 a year. i would gladly pay now that i know the value.

Not only do you get a media server on your gamepad compatable with every filetype. You get hulu+ free and like a hundred cable channels like comedy central, history, etc.

playon.tv you wont be sorry!