By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo! Wii U needs a media server capability now!

jake_the_fake1 said:

The Wii U needs no such function. Nintendo made the Wii U for games and games alone.

Nintendo's message is clear, this is why it doesn't have blu-ray play back despite having a blu-ray drive. The Wii U's main selling point is it's innovative tablet like controller, not it's media capabilities.

I'm actually quite surprised that Nintendo approved these video streaming apps, in all honesty they should be removed because it seems to be causing some confusion. If people want to visit these video streaming services they should do so from another device or just use the Wii U awesome browser.

I'm just sick and tired of people trying to have features which simply aren't in Nintendos DNA, Nintendo's DNA is all about innovation, gameplay, classic franchises which everyone loves, power efficient and price sensitive hardware. Not a power hungry graphics work horse, which is costly, and an over engineered piece of hardware who's main goal is the dominance of the living room through complete multimedia capabilities putting gaming in equal or second position.

kudos for Nintendo for being unique and different yet again. We who are fans of Nintendo games should rejoice for Nintnedo's bold direction and reject any direction which will put gaming in equal or second position, after all this is what allowed the Wii to be the sales monster that it was. In my opinion anyone who doesn't feel the same way may have a bias towards Sony or Microsoft.

This argument implodes on itself since there is absolutely nothing innovative about including a second touch screen in 2012.  It was innovative when DS did it back in 2005 but in tech terms that's a lifetime ago.   Add to that that the WiiU Premium (which is the only version worth owning) is not mass market friendly priced as you suggest.   Going back to dual analog set-up as their primary control scheme is even regressive with is why Wii-lovers like myself have no use for WiiU.  It's an HD GC with a poor-mans touchscreen added on which offers very little to gameplay, is overly expensive and (currently) has almost nothing to play on it (that isn't already out on other systems which cost less).

The only real benefit of the second screen is being able to play a game, or browse the internet while watching TV.  Of course, I can do that with a half dozen other devices in my house already.  Plus media stream from my PC too.

Around the Network
jake_the_fake1 said:

The Wii U needs no such function. Nintendo made the Wii U for games and games alone.

Nintendo's message is clear, this is why it doesn't have blu-ray play back despite having a blu-ray drive. The Wii U's main selling point is it's innovative tablet like controller, not it's media capabilities.

I'm actually quite surprised that Nintendo approved these video streaming apps, in all honesty they should be removed because it seems to be causing some confusion. If people want to visit these video streaming services they should do so from another device or just use the Wii U awesome browser.

I'm just sick and tired of people trying to have features which simply aren't in Nintendos DNA, Nintendo's DNA is all about innovation, gameplay, classic franchises which everyone loves, power efficient and price sensitive hardware. Not a power hungry graphics work horse, which is costly, and an over engineered piece of hardware who's main goal is the dominance of the living room through complete multimedia capabilities putting gaming in equal or second position.

kudos for Nintendo for being unique and different yet again. We who are fans of Nintendo games should rejoice for Nintnedo's bold direction and reject any direction which will put gaming in equal or second position, after all this is what allowed the Wii to be the sales monster that it was. In my opinion anyone who doesn't feel the same way may have a bias towards Sony or Microsoft.

Streaming services aren't going anywhere. Wii was the no.1 hardware for Netflix up until a year or so ago when the PS3 eclipsed it but no doubt that opened Nintendo's eyes tremendously and is why things like Nintendo TVii and the Wii U tablet's TV remote functionality was developed IMO.

I know a few people that use their Wii as basically their Netflix box almost exclusively these days (barely play any games on it). 

possible if they write the video codecs, support for matroska container, and multi-stream subtitle/audio capabilities that decode all audio formats into raw pcm, pretty sure they won't do it lol. hacks in the future maybe if there is amd's uvd we can use in the gpu part to decode high bandwidth h.264 or x264 formats in 10-bit.

Gamerace said:

Going back to dual analog set-up as their primary control scheme is even regressive with is why Wii-lovers like myself have no use for WiiU.  It's an HD GC with a poor-mans touchscreen added on which offers very little to gameplay, is overly expensive and (currently) has almost nothing to play on it (that isn't already out on other systems which cost less).

Preach it, brother!

Superchunk, have you checked out playon which snyps pointed out? I checked it out last year for the Wii but I saw some mixed reviews so I didn't bite. I believe this is what you are mainly wanting?

http://www.playon.tv/
http://www.playon.tv/supported-devices

You can even try their lite version which is supposedly free that

"PlayOn Lite and My Media

PlayOn Lite is the free, lighter version of PlayOn. It lets you stream music from Pandora to your TV with your new surround sound system, watch YouTube videos. The My Media channel lets you enjoy all of your cherished personal videos and photos from your PC on your TV. For a limited time only, you also get access to HBO GO."

Around the Network
superchunk said:

Nintendo needs to think outside the box and at least provide the option via eShop. Small fees to download the proper software makes sense and fits their channel based approach. The hardware is there, just software is required.

I agree, they do need to think outside the box.

So why in the hell would they bother thinking about video when every other console and innumerable other consumer electronics devices and services are chasing video, most to middling success at best? Throwing a half-baked, poorly supported media server with no long-term strategy that only you and a dozen other guys would ever use into the Wii U isn't just inside-the-box thinking. It's inside a dusty shoebox in the attic with a dead spider curled up in the corner of it.

"Well, this console has more games that I like, but ooooooh, that one has a media server! I'll take that one."

- Nobody

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:

I agree, they do need to think outside the box.

So why in the hell would they bother thinking about video when every other console and innumerable other consumer electronics devices and services are chasing video, most to middling success at best? Throwing a half-baked, poorly supported media server with no long-term strategy that only you and a dozen other guys would ever use into the Wii U isn't just inside-the-box thinking. It's inside a dusty shoebox in the attic with a dead spider curled up in the corner of it.

"Well, this console has more games that I like, but ooooooh, that one has a media server! I'll take that one."

- Nobody

Actually that is exactly why I bought a PS3 over X360.

Also why I'm considering one of the other two consoles before they even launch as I want a more media center device as well as Nintendo games.

I don't want it on my TV / dvd player as those are limited and gimped features on those devices.

I don't want to have to plug in my phone because then I don't have my phone.

I don't want to purchase another $200 to $500 device like a tablet just for those features.

I want it on a device I'm already buying for the other features/content it offers and I know I'm more like the mass consumer in this regards.

neXtBox will have this.
PS4 will have this.

Its about increasing value and usage for whole family. Parents/spouses/etc who don't play games, might consider a new console if they see value in it for themselves as well as what the gamer in the family wants.

I've never understood the stance against a more complete experience on a device you're already buying. Again, just have it be an eShop download for a specified low price. That would cover any cost to Nintendo.

sethnintendo said:
Superchunk, have you checked out playon which snyps pointed out? I checked it out last year for the Wii but I saw some mixed reviews so I didn't bite. I believe this is what you are mainly wanting?

http://www.playon.tv/
http://www.playon.tv/supported-devices
You can even try their lite version which is supposedly free that
"PlayOn Lite and My Media
PlayOn Lite is the free, lighter version of PlayOn. It lets you stream music from Pandora to your TV with your new surround sound system, watch YouTube videos. The My Media channel lets you enjoy all of your cherished personal videos and photos from your PC on your TV. For a limited time only, you also get access to HBO GO."
---------------

yeah i love the WiiU as a media server!

it can even do .mkv files! my favorite thing is controlling what i watch from the gamepad or taking the movie into the kitchen or where ever i go.

(^-^)

I don't care about this anyway.

Didn't even touched the features on my PS3 once, barely anyway. Watched a BlueRay or two back in '07 on the thing, before we found out the PS3's BlueRay quality sucked in comparison to a dedicated BlueRay player. Of the launch PS3 model anyways. Really, it's a difference like night and day, or NFS Most Wanted WiiU and NFS Most Wanted 360 .

But anyway, music too. Why would I want to listed to music on my games console when I already have a plethora of other, far more convenient ways of doing so. Ignoring the six music channels we got here on tv. Stuff like YouTube and the like are, accessable by browser anyway, superior on a PC or tablet with.

I really don't see the point, or why this would be a major selling point. It's nice and all if a console can do all that, but at the end of the day you'll just go back to using this stuff on other devices better suited for the task. The very definition of 'gimmick' by the way.

S.Peelman said:

I don't care about this anyway.

Didn't even touched the features on my PS3 once, barely anyway. Watched a BlueRay or two back in '07 on the thing, before we found out the PS3's BlueRay quality sucked in comparison to a dedicated BlueRay player. Of the launch PS3 model anyways. Really, it's a difference like night and day, or NFS Most Wanted WiiU and NFS Most Wanted 360 .

But anyway, music too. Why would I want to listed to music on my games console when I already have a plethora of other, far more convenient ways of doing so. Ignoring the six music channels we got here on tv. Stuff like YouTube and the like are, accessable by browser anyway, superior on a PC or tablet with.

I really don't see the point, or why this would be a major selling point. It's nice and all if a console can do all that, but at the end of the day you'll just go back to using this stuff on other devices better suited for the task. The very definition of 'gimmick' by the way.

In today's day and age, it's a question of common sense, low cost, and simple convenience. A video game console is a gaming platform, but it's only convenient that where you play your games, you also have the rest of your entertainment at your fingertips.

It's the future, it's today. Someone needs to send them the memo, but luckily they already got part of it.