By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Blu-ray stomps all over HD-DVD

Squall_Leonhart said:
I find it funny when people bring DVD into this type of conversation... This is all about sales of Blu-ray vs HD-DVD nothing to do with normal DVD...

just like bringing the wii in the ps3 vs xbox360 fight huh?

Around the Network

Well it seams that putting in those BR players into the PS3 wasnt such a bad decision afther all :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

@mods

Exactly... Some people just don't get it i guess!

Wow, maybe this will shut people up....STAND ALONE PLAYERS! Meaning no ps3's included & blu-ray is still whooping butt. Lol, 93% vs. 7%

HD-DVD = Betamax

Toshiba needs to grow up and throw in the towel for the sake of HD & consumer confidence.

It's sort of funny though because blu-ray is SLAUGHTERING HD-DVD SO badly!
Glad my investment in over 70 blu-rays isn't worthless.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Griffin said:

Blu-ray Hardware Sales Quickly Outpace HD-DVD

Following Warner’s decision to exclusively back the Blu-ray format, sales of standalone Blu-ray players have soared. New sales figures from the NPD group show Blu-ray taking nearly 93 percent of the market in the week ending January 12. Compare these figures to the week before Warner’s announcement, when there was a near 50-50 split between the two competing formats.

It should be noted that the above sales figures do not include sales of Sony’s PlayStation 3 console or the Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on drive. Considering that PS3 sales have also been on the rise, things are looking great for Blu-ray.

http://exophase.com/ps3/blu-ray-hardware-sales-quickly-outpace-hd-dvd-3109.htm

Well, I'd like to see unit volume sales numbers for both but regardless, if BD sales stay even as they were as far as volume and the numbers stay skewed like this for a month or two, I can't believe Universal and Paramount wouldn't make a move in panic.  That is an incredible fall.  We'll have to see if it's sustained, but if so, the HD-DVD group doesn't have a prayer of even carving out a beta-max type niche, IMO.