By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Blu-ray stomps all over HD-DVD

The rest of the world made its choice a while back, its about time America did the same.

Around the Network

HD-DVD did what MS needed it to do.

HD-DVD slowed Blu-Ray adoption which allowed the 360 to take a pretty sizeable lead over the PS3 and keep PS3 costs higher (More competition over components that both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray units need).

Libraries sell systems not individual games

Good news anyway! I hope that this leads to an end to this war as dragging it on is only worse for the industry... Toshiba should really take the high road and bow out gracefully... But thats not going to happen!

Finally, Sony (and others) Domination! w00t.

Sweet! I just snagged two HD DVDs yesterday ... can't wait for the fire sales - I'll be picking up some titles on the cheap.

OT: I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and saw two Blu Ray players. One was like $388 and the PS3s. There were like 3 HD DVD players. One was like $148. And the HD DVD section is 3 vertical shelves vs. 5-6 for BR.

You really should hope for a slow death for HD DVD, because they are the only reason for the lower priced BR players. They were never gonna come down to lower prices quickly without competition.

Around the Network
madskillz said:

You really should hope for a slow death for HD DVD, because they are the only reason for the lower priced BR players. They were never gonna come down to lower prices quickly without competition.

Exactly.  I can't believe people are so dillusional they can't see this. 

modsgonecrazy said:
tmbh said:
For those that don't like pie charts:

Here's how the January Week 1 unit sales looked for each format (week ending 1/5)...

Blu-ray Disc - 15,257 units
HD-DVD - 14,558 units

That was prior to the Warner announcement, which came on 1/4. Now here's how the January Week 2 unit sales data for each format looked AFTER the announcement (for the week ending 1/12)...

Blu-ray Disc - 21,770 units
HD-DVD - 1,758 units

source:

http://www.digitalbits.com/

Scroll down the page

wooow that much :OOOO sales are pretty low if you ask me

even the psp sells more

Heres the DVD hardare sales for a comparison:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/cemadvdsales.html

Data only upto July 07 but sales are 100x more than Blu-Ray!

Interesting ...

For the record, we didn't get the charts from NPD... we created them ourselves based on the actual NPD unit sales data. And here, in the interest of transparency, is that actual sales data. Again, these numbers do NOT include the PS3 or the Xbox 360 add-on drive - these are just straight set-top players.

Here's how the January Week 1 unit sales looked for each format (week ending 1/5)...

Blu-ray Disc - 15,257 units
HD-DVD - 14,558 units

That was prior to the Warner announcement, which came on 1/4. Now here's how the January Week 2 unit sales data for each format looked AFTER the announcement (for the week ending 1/12)...

Blu-ray Disc - 21,770 units
HD-DVD - 1,758 units

As you can see, the HD-DVD player numbers dropped dramatically. However, it's also true that 21,770 isn't a doubling of the 15,257 of the previous week, so we stand corrected on the Blu-ray comment - Blu-ray player sales did not double, but they did increase significantly. It was always our intention that the data would speak for itself, which is why we were very careful in accurately creating the pie charts, and it's why we're posting the unit sales data for you now. We think the data DOES speak for itself, but now you can all draw your own conclusions.

While we're at it, here are the unit sales numbers for the month of December as well (weeks ending 12/8 to 12/29)...

Blu-ray Disc - 115,132 units
HD-DVD - 76,148 units

So there you go. FYI, we will post the numbers for the second half of January as they become available, to track how sales of both formats are affected by the various recent sales and discounts.

Source: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Basically, yeah, the units sold were under 2K for HD DVD, but ... that chart, made by the blogger and NOT NPD makes it look even worse.

HD DVD isn't going into the great beyond yet ...

I find it funny when people bring DVD into this type of conversation... This is all about sales of Blu-ray vs HD-DVD nothing to do with normal DVD...

The blu ray is destroying hd dvd since the announcement of the warner! The format war is coming to the end ... But the DVD is far from over! There is a long way for sony to implente BR...