By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: PS3 will double WiiU in sales until E3 (PS3 leading 4.2:1)

How will this battle end (Dec 30th-Jun 7th, vgchartz)?

PS3 will more than double WiiU sales 99 62.26%

PS3 will double WiiU sales 13 8.18%

S3 will sell ~50% more than WiiU 7 4.40%

PS3 and WiiU will sell the same (essentially) 10 6.29%

WiiU will sell 50% more than PS3 8 5.03%

WiiU will double PS3 sales 13 8.18%

Other 9 5.66%

Total:159
kowenicki said:

resident evil is a JAPANESE classic.  oh dear oh dear.

Yes, I know.

The Last Of Us is similar in concept to Resident Evil, I don't think wheter its western or japanese matters...

Not saying I'm expecting the game to pull Resident Evil numbers though, but considering how westernized RE6 was and how well it sold I wouldnt' be surprised to see more games like this selling decently in Japan. We already got Call of Duty selling 200k at launch.

Around the Network

"How will this battle end"

What battle? The battle of the fanboys? I doubt that will end.

This will only result in a Wii U/Wii/3DS or DS vs PSVita thread.

What is the point of celebrating the poor sales of a console you have no interest in? Besides the obvious trolling...

kowenicki said:
ManUtdFan said:
kowenicki said:
ManUtdFan said:
kowenicki said:
ManUtdFan said:
kowenicki said:
ManUtdFan said:

I'd reiterate, PS3 sales are fairly steady. They certainly haven't 'died on their arse' yet, and they're not likely to in 2013. Japan especially, they like their role-playing games, so games like The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls going off past trends, are likely to shift significant numbers of hardware.

This point may be contentious, but why would 'previously' eager Wii owners with virtually no new titles to get excited about immediately upgrade to a WiiU, when its software line-up right now is in a similar state? There's still a wide gap in sales between Wii and PS3 in Japan, therefore why shouldn't some Wii owners be more tempted to invest in a PS3? keeping its sales fairly strong for another year. 

The Last Of Us and Beyond will shift significant numbers of hardware in Japan?!?!?

What!?

Sorry but your post is a load of old nonsense.

Don't you know how things work in Japan? Whenever a new game is released that registers huge sales, there's also a concurrent increase in the console sales the game is played on. Similar to how Call of Duty games shift hardware in the US.

Excuse me.  I know EXACTLY how they work.  But the Last of us and Beyond are NOT Japanese type games.  Not even remotely.

You are embarrassing yourself.

Actually, The Last of Us and Beyond are games that will very likely appeal to the Japanese even if they're not typical JRPGs. The proof will be in the sales of course.   

Using terms like 'total ignorance', 'load of old nonsense' and 'embarrassing yourself' will get you nowhere. You're probably treading a thin line though. 

Not at all.  You are miles off in your "analysis".  They aren typical JRPG's they arent even RPG's.

True, technically they're not RPGs, they're arcade adventures. For me there's overlap between the two. When playing Far Cry 3 I feel almost like I'm playing an RPG as much as a first-person-shooter. There are elements to the game similar to the quests in RPGs.

To my mind the more immersive an arcade adventure is, the closer it will 'feel' to a role-playing game. I'm sure though you will find fault with that 'analysis' because you need the objective interpretation, thereby the dictionary definition. 

I don't need to find fault with it, youv'e moved the discussion.  You originally said that Last of us and Beyond would move significant hardware in japan.

Its just not going to happen. They wont move any hardware in Japan.  I doubt you will find anyone that agrees with you.

I addressed your point concerning the definition of RPGs, so sorry if I went off topic. Point being, why should japanese be so close-minded as to be disinterested in games like Last of Us and Beyond when they could well be genre defining. Judging by japanese attitudes to video gaming/technology in general, they don't exactly strike me as lacking open-mindedness. Why then shouldn't they get hooked into these games, metal gear solid etc? imo aforementioned PS3 exclusives will shift hardware sales in all territories, including japan. If Last of Us and Beyond don't give japan incentive to buy PS3s no game will. But again you're probably going to have a problem with that. 

Jay520 said:

EDIT: source: http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_yoy.php?reg=Global&start_year=2009&end_year=2012&console=PS3

Also, there's another interesting fact looking at that link.

During January of 2010, the PS3 sold less than January of 2011. 

During February of 2010, the PS3 sold less than February of 2011.

So far, 2010 is tracking lower than 2011.

But the March, April, May, June and July months were bigger in 2010 than in any other region. 

When God of War 3 released, the PS3 had it's biggest March-July months ever.

Coincidence? I think not.

kowenicki said:

Yeah great.... now how many of those will increase console sales?

I'd say none. 

So using that logic, if all of those games were cancelled the PS3 would see the exact same amount of hardware sales?  Software affects hardware sales beyond the day it launches.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
Jay520 said:

EDIT: source: http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_yoy.php?reg=Global&start_year=2009&end_year=2012&console=PS3

But the March, April, May, June and July months were bigger in 2010 than in any other region. 

Looking at that graph re. March 2010, God of War 3 - American produced game - produced a big spike in PS3 sales. Turns out Japan isn't so close-minded to overseas games.   

S.T.A.G.E. said:
NintendoPie said:
Not unless Lego, Pikmin, and that other game releasing in Q1-ish have anything to say for it.
The Wii U should be able to keep up with the PS3. I'm not going to say sell better because then it won't due to my "luck."

Did you just say not  unless Lego & Pikmin have something to say about it?

Nice job overreacting to what I said. 

I never meant that those games would blow the PS3 out of the water. You would've known that if you read other posts/read the last sentence in the post you quoted.

VGKing said:
NintendoPie said:
Not unless Lego, Pikmin, and that other game releasing in Q1-ish have anything to say for it.
The Wii U should be able to keep up with the PS3. I'm not going to say sell better because then it won't due to my "luck."

A 3rd party game and an a weak new IP? I don't think so....

Just look at Pikmin 1 and 2 sales for Gamecube.

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Pikmin GC 2001 Strategy Nintendo 0.78 0.25 0.56 0.04 1.63
2 Pikmin 2 GC 2004 Strategy Nintendo 0.48 0.13 0.56 0.03 1.20

Why are all of you underestimating Lego games? The Lego series has had huge sales especially on Nintendo consoles. It will sustain/increase the Wii U's sales. I'm pretty sure of it.

(I deleted the sales of the Wii remakes for Pikmin because they were just that; remakes. Your statement was off about the "decline" in the series.)

However, you are right that Pikmin was never really a strong seller. I do fell though that Pikmin 3 will garner much better sales and way more media attention, it should be a system seller.

Jay520 said:
Jay520 said:

Thank you! My only point was that with Sony their HW is somewhat affected by the games at the later portion of the gen compared to the earlier parts where its majorly affected. People forget that these parts of the gen attract late adopters. Their sales can fluctuate from high to low based on the games they are putting out from month to month.

Lego games usually start off a little slow but continuing selling with very long legs. Will people buy a new console for a lego game, not convinced, but the wii-U should see a small increase in HW sales for the hardcore who decide they want a wii-U for this particular game... though i wouldnt be surprised to see this game go multiplatform at some point.

As for GOW and TLOU, I don't see them shifting lots of new hardware in Japan, maybe a 10K to 30K HW increase on release date. Japan is such a difficult market to judge but they are slowly getting more western in terms of games (very slowly but seeing some increases).