By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: PS3 will double WiiU in sales until E3 (PS3 leading 4.2:1)

How will this battle end (Dec 30th-Jun 7th, vgchartz)?

PS3 will more than double WiiU sales 99 62.26%

PS3 will double WiiU sales 13 8.18%

S3 will sell ~50% more than WiiU 7 4.40%

PS3 and WiiU will sell the same (essentially) 10 6.29%

WiiU will sell 50% more than PS3 8 5.03%

WiiU will double PS3 sales 13 8.18%

Other 9 5.66%

Total:159
NintendoPie said:

Why are all of you underestimating Lego games? The Lego series has had huge sales especially on Nintendo consoles. It will sustain/increase the Wii U's sales. I'm pretty sure of it.

The thing with the LEGO game, Pie, is that it's not perhaps as safe as some of the other titles.  Mostly, they've all been "LEGO: ___" (where ___ is a famous film, book, videogame or TV franchise, or a combination of all of them).

If you look at a list of top selling LEGO games here, you have to go all the way down to #29 to find one which is based on original LEGO IP (I think), which is "LEGO Battles" for the DS, which sold just over a million.

Personally, I do think the game will shift some hardware because it looks decent, but I don't think it'll do anything sustained to the console's sales.  Like I've mentioned in another thread somewhere (can't remember where :P), I feel like LEGO games are more the kind of thing you pick up to fill a gap in a console's library once you own it, rather than spending £280 on a console because you MUST have that LEGO game!

Unless Nintendo advertise the shit out of it and bundle it, of course, in which case it could well take off.

I'll happily be wrong, though.  If it turns out to be a killer app for the console then I'm all for that, because it looks like a lot of fun.

Around the Network

Regarding the God of War/Last of Us boosting hardware in Japan sentiments, don't be ridiculous. Comparing them to MGS or Resident Evil just isn't right, because both those games are Japanese classics which are still made in Japan.

I'm with Kowen on this one, I don't think either of those titles will boost PS3 in Japan by anything noticable. Heck, Yakuza 5 and Resi 6 barely boosted Japanese sales this year, even with limited edition consoles.

It's possible, I mean it's already happening (577k vs 247k) but i think the PS3 will sell on average no more than 50% extra on the Wii U. It's quite hard to see what Wii U will sell like in 3 to 6 months time, as i don't see PS3 really affecting it either

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Kresnik said:
NintendoPie said:

Why are all of you underestimating Lego games? The Lego series has had huge sales especially on Nintendo consoles. It will sustain/increase the Wii U's sales. I'm pretty sure of it.

The thing with the LEGO game, Pie, is that it's not perhaps as safe as some of the other titles.  Mostly, they've all been "LEGO: ___" (where ___ is a famous film, book, videogame or TV franchise, or a combination of all of them).

If you look at a list of top selling LEGO games here, you have to go all the way down to #29 to find one which is based on original LEGO IP (I think), which is "LEGO Battles" for the DS, which sold just over a million.

Personally, I do think the game will shift some hardware because it looks decent, but I don't think it'll do anything sustained to the console's sales.  Like I've mentioned in another thread somewhere (can't remember where :P), I feel like LEGO games are more the kind of thing you pick up to fill a gap in a console's library once you own it, rather than spending £280 on a console because you MUST have that LEGO game!

Unless Nintendo advertise the shit out of it and bundle it, of course, in which case it could well take off.

I'll happily be wrong, though.  If it turns out to be a killer app for the console then I'm all for that, because it looks like a lot of fun.

I've never even heard of Lego Battles so... Yeah.

I hope that Nintendo really does market the hell out of this game because it could be quite a good system seller. It's mostly up to Nintendo and Lego  to decide if they want to market this game/make it a pack in. I think if they do those things then you're, it could take off.

JWeinCom said:
Mazty said:
NintendoPie said:
Mazty said:
NintendoPie said:
Not unless Lego, Pikmin, and that other game releasing in Q1-ish have anything to say for it.
The Wii U should be able to keep up with the PS3. I'm not going to say sell better because then it won't due to my "luck."

Those games don't have a wide audience. The Wii U has failed to keep up with either the xbox or PS3. I can't see the wii u matching sales with it's rivals...ever. Maybe only in the fortnight of a big release but that's it.

That's a very outlandish and untrue statement. I'm sorry, you're wrong, on all fronts.

No you're wrong on all fronts.

Seriously if you're going to make such a statement, at least give it some substance because you're not omniscient. Lego is a childs toy. Pikmin is an old Nintendo franchise. Not exactly CoD are they? 

The Lego franchise has 30 million selling SKUs.  It has a wider audience than pretty much anything that will be released Q1.  It's a pretty big franchise.

Things you don't like =/= things nobody likes

No it does not have a wide audience because you're not going to find many teenagers+ playing lego games. It's aimed at kids. That is a very, very narrow audience. Plus I'm not sure you're using SKU correctly - I thought it meant a type of the product. 30 mill + means there are over 30 million different types of Lego games/packages.

Around the Network
Vinniegambini said:
Mazty said:
NintendoPie said:
Mazty said:
NintendoPie said:
Not unless Lego, Pikmin, and that other game releasing in Q1-ish have anything to say for it.
The Wii U should be able to keep up with the PS3. I'm not going to say sell better because then it won't due to my "luck."

Those games don't have a wide audience. The Wii U has failed to keep up with either the xbox or PS3. I can't see the wii u matching sales with it's rivals...ever. Maybe only in the fortnight of a big release but that's it.

That's a very outlandish and untrue statement. I'm sorry, you're wrong, on all fronts.

Seriously if you're going to make such a statement, at least give it some substance because you're not omniscient. Lego is a childs toy. Pikmin is an old Nintendo franchise. Not exactly CoD are they? 

Lego being a child's toy does not make it any lesser of a success than COD. If properly marketed, Lego City Undercover with their toys will help move hardware considerably.

Furthermore, back in 2007 the Sony PS2 was outselling the PS3 by 4 to 1 so your argument in regards to ''Wii U has failed to keep up with either the xbox or PS3'' only personifies your ignorance towards gaming cycles.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/08/23/us-games-ps-idUSL2374018520070823?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&sp=true

Yes it does because it being a childs toy means that your aimed market cannot actually afford the game. Children tend not to have an income; you are relying on gift giving. 
The PS2 was not competiting with the PS3. The Wii U is competiting with the PS3/360 until it manages to seperate itself from the 7th gen with an 8th gen game e.g. what PGR3 was for the 360.

I'm not ignorant to gaming cycles; please keep such unsubstantiated comments to yourself as they merely look personal rather then objective.  What has been shown is your lack of understanding where the Wii U resides within this market as of current. 

pezus said:
Baron said:
"How will this battle end"

What battle? The battle of the fanboys? I doubt that will end.

This will only result in a Wii U/Wii/3DS or DS vs PSVita thread.

What is the point of celebrating the poor sales of a console you have no interest in? Besides the obvious trolling...

Do you see me celebrating? I'm predicting sales, not celebrating

Still too obvious mate. Especially because in other comments (don't know if it was this thread or that other PS3 beat Wii U thread) you used the word celebrate yourself.

kowenicki said:
VGKing said:
kowenicki said:

resident evil is a JAPANESE classic.  oh dear oh dear.

Yes, I know.

The Last Of Us is similar in concept to Resident Evil, I don't think wheter its western or japanese matters...

Not saying I'm expecting the game to pull Resident Evil numbers though, but considering how westernized RE6 was and how well it sold I wouldnt' be surprised to see more games like this selling decently in Japan. We already got Call of Duty selling 200k at launch.

I repeat, this is about moving hardware.

Repeat? This is the first time you've said it.....
The Last of Us won't move any hardware. At least not anything noticeable in Japan.

Mazty said:
Vinniegambini said:
Mazty said:
NintendoPie said:
Mazty said:
NintendoPie said:

Lego being a child's toy does not make it any lesser of a success than COD. If properly marketed, Lego City Undercover with their toys will help move hardware considerably.

Furthermore, back in 2007 the Sony PS2 was outselling the PS3 by 4 to 1 so your argument in regards to ''Wii U has failed to keep up with either the xbox or PS3'' only personifies your ignorance towards gaming cycles.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/08/23/us-games-ps-idUSL2374018520070823?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&sp=true

Yes it does because it being a childs toy means that your aimed market cannot actually afford the game. Children tend not to have an income; you are relying on gift giving. 
The PS2 was not competiting with the PS3. The Wii U is competiting with the PS3/360 until it manages to seperate itself from the 7th gen with an 8th gen game e.g. what PGR3 was for the 360.

I'm not ignorant to gaming cycles; please keep such unsubstantiated comments to yourself as they merely look personal rather then objective.  What has been shown is your lack of understanding where the Wii U resides within this market as of current. 

1. ''a child toy means that your aimed market cannot actually afford the game'' - The Skylander's and Pokémon franchise is geared towards a younger crowd and yet the franchise has crossed the billion dollar revenue. I fail to see your argument, they shift hardware.

2. ''the Wii U is competing with the PS3/360 until it manages to seperate itself from the 7th gen with an 8th gen game'' - That exactly is the point of gaming cycles... Older gen will always outsell the newer gen in the first year until proven otherwise (content, games, etc.). PS2 outsold Xbox 360 and PS3 within first year on market. Again, I fail to see your point on Wii U launch being a failure despite outselling the Xbox 360 and PS3 (including Europe) launch period in times where a worldwide recession did not affect people's spending habits.

The PS3 sold around 12 million units in 2012 and with the announcement of the PS4 and "XBox 720" I don't think the PS3 will sell nearly as well this year. For consumers to still see a lot of value in the PS3 the PS3 would probably need a significant price cut and/or the PS4 would have to be expensive and lack backwards compatibility; after all, who would spend $300 on a PS3 if the PS4 was $350/$400 and could play PS3 games?

With that said, I'm not sure Sony can afford to cut the price of the PS3 to a level to attract the customers they desire so I anticipate that sales will decline; and I suspect this will translate to sales of 8 to 10 million PS3 systems in 2013. At the same time, I expect Nintendo to sell 8 to 12 million Wii U systems.

This means that I expect the Wii U to perform somewhere between "roughly equal to the PS3" to selling "50% more than the PS3"