By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: PS3 will double WiiU in sales until E3 (PS3 leading 4.2:1)

How will this battle end (Dec 30th-Jun 7th, vgchartz)?

PS3 will more than double WiiU sales 99 62.26%

PS3 will double WiiU sales 13 8.18%

S3 will sell ~50% more than WiiU 7 4.40%

PS3 and WiiU will sell the same (essentially) 10 6.29%

WiiU will sell 50% more than PS3 8 5.03%

WiiU will double PS3 sales 13 8.18%

Other 9 5.66%

Total:159
kowenicki said:
ManUtdFan said:
kowenicki said:

I see the PS3 dying on its arse in Japan during this year. 

No chance. Not with the exclusives coming out for PS3 this year. It'll continue its steady sales for another year, as has been evident with the PSP.  

I love it when people post fro a standpoint of total ignorance of what is actually happening.

"Steady sales"

Salis in Japan of the PS3 are down 21% (that is the biggest drop globally for the PS3) and I'd say you are looking at 25 to 30% down in Japan this year.  

Probably less than 1m for the year.

I'd reiterate, PS3 sales are fairly steady. They certainly haven't 'died on their arse' yet, and they're not likely to in 2013. Japan especially, they like their role-playing games, so games like The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls going off past trends, are likely to shift significant numbers of hardware.

This point may be contentious, but why would 'previously' eager Wii owners with virtually no new titles to get excited about immediately upgrade to a WiiU, when its software line-up right now is in a similar state? There's still a wide gap in sales between Wii and PS3 in Japan, therefore why shouldn't some Wii owners be more tempted to invest in a PS3? keeping its sales fairly strong for another year. 

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
ManUtdFan said:

I'd reiterate, PS3 sales are fairly steady. They certainly haven't 'died on their arse' yet, and they're not likely to in 2013. Japan especially, they like their role-playing games, so games like The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls going off past trends, are likely to shift significant numbers of hardware.

This point may be contentious, but why would 'previously' eager Wii owners with virtually no new titles to get excited about immediately upgrade to a WiiU, when its software line-up right now is in a similar state? There's still a wide gap in sales between Wii and PS3 in Japan, therefore why shouldn't some Wii owners be more tempted to invest in a PS3? keeping its sales fairly strong for another year. 

The Last Of Us and Beyond will shift significant numbers of hardware in Japan?!?!?

What!?

Sorry but your post is a load of old nonsense.

Don't you know how things work in Japan? Whenever a new game is released that registers huge sales, there's also a concurrent increase in the console sales the game is played on. Similar to how Call of Duty games shift hardware in the US.

kowenicki said:
ManUtdFan said:
kowenicki said:
ManUtdFan said:

The Last Of Us and Beyond will shift significant numbers of hardware in Japan?!?!?

What!?

Don't you know how things work in Japan? Whenever a new game is released that registers huge sales, there's also a concurrent increase in the console sales the game is played on. Similar to how Call of Duty games shift hardware in the US.

Excuse me.  I know EXACTLY how they work.  But the Last of us and Beyond are NOT Japanese type games.  Not even remotely.

You are embarrassing yourself.

Actually, The Last of Us and Beyond are games that will very likely appeal to the Japanese even if they're not typical JRPGs. The proof will be in the sales of course.   

Using terms like 'total ignorance', 'load of old nonsense' and 'embarrassing yourself' will get you nowhere. You're probably treading a thin line though. 

Everyone's talking about new games, but the games that matter are already out. People will buy ps3 has a great exixting collection that anyone buying it doesn't have, and there are millions of people who want to play nsmbu. The question for me is how many people want ps3 that don't already have it, and is the market receptive to wiiu. I think wiiu's potential market is infinitely bigger, but a ps3 price drop could change that.

ManUtdFan said:
kowenicki said:
ManUtdFan said:
kowenicki said:
ManUtdFan said:

What!?

Excuse me.  I know EXACTLY how they work.  But the Last of us and Beyond are NOT Japanese type games.  Not even remotely.

Actually, The Last of Us and Beyond are games that will very likely appeal to the Japanese even if they're not typical JRPGs. The proof will be in the sales of course.   

Using terms like 'total ignorance', 'load of old nonsense' and 'embarrassing yourself' will get you nowhere. You're probably treading a thin line though. 

Kowenicki is actually right. The Last of Us and Beyond are not games that appeal to the Japanese masses. Furthermore, your anology of PS3 sales being steady is not true, sales have been down 35% in Japan - see compartive chart on Neogaf

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505590

People fail to realize that Nintendo has Japan pretty much locked for next generation. Square Enix CEO in 2011 said that Nintendo has become the only 'Japanese' centric company and considers Sony a Western one due to the shift of mentality. Hence, you will see JRPGs coming to the Wii U more than the next PS4. Japanese developers are supporting the 3DS and not the Vita, the same is going to happen for thePS4: Wii U will get the support, PS4 will fall behind the cracks. If I were Sony, I would seriously be worried.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
Not unless Lego, Pikmin, and that other game releasing in Q1-ish have anything to say for it.
The Wii U should be able to keep up with the PS3. I'm not going to say sell better because then it won't due to my "luck."

A 3rd party game and an a weak new IP? I don't think so....

Just look at Pikmin 1 and 2 sales for Gamecube.

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Pikmin GC 2001 Strategy Nintendo 0.78 0.25 0.56 0.04 1.63
2 Pikmin 2 GC 2004 Strategy Nintendo 0.48 0.13 0.56 0.03 1.20

The franchise declined even further during the Wii era.

3 New Play Control! Pikmin Wii 2008 Strategy Nintendo 0.26 0.09 0.19 0.04 0.58
4 New Play Control! Pikmin 2 Wii 2009 Strategy Nintendo 0.04 0.12 0.20 0.01 0.37

I think Wii-U may sell more than PS3,in march until E3, cuz alot of people r waiting for Raymen Legends & Pikmin 3

IMSM

kowenicki said:
ManUtdFan said:
kowenicki said:
ManUtdFan said:
kowenicki said:
ManUtdFan said:

What!?

Not at all.  You are miles off in your "analysis".  They aren typical JRPG's they arent even RPG's.

Resident Evil isn't an RPG either thats really popular in Japan.
I expect The Last Of Us to sell better than Uncharted did in Japan.(that's if it is promoted well of course)

kowenicki said:
ManUtdFan said:
kowenicki said:
ManUtdFan said:
kowenicki said:
ManUtdFan said:

What!?

Not at all.  You are miles off in your "analysis".  They aren typical JRPG's they arent even RPG's.

True, technically they're not RPGs, they're arcade adventures. For me, there can be overlap between the two. When playing Far Cry 3 I feel almost like I'm playing an RPG as much as a first-person-shooter. There are elements to the game similar to the quests in RPGs.

To my mind the more immersive an arcade adventure is, the closer it will 'feel' to a role-playing game. I'm sure though you will find fault with that 'analysis' because you need the objective interpretation, thereby the dictionary definition. 

kowenicki said:

It just doesnt work like this in Qtr1.  

For example. March 2010: In the same week Yakuza4 and God of War 3 are released.... Result: PS3 sales fall 1%.

You seem shocked, so you must be very confident of boosts.  Care to hang a number on them?

Funny you bring up March 2010.

March 2010 was one of the PS3's best months ever. During that month, the PS3 sold more than every other month every year except for Nove-Dec months and September 2009 which is when the Slim released. March 2010 numbers are tied with September 2011 numbers (which is when the PS3 had a price cut). During every other month, the PS3 sold less than what it sold March of 2010.

It really is impressive when you think about it.

December months > > > November months > > > September 2009 > > > September 2011 = March 2010 > > > > > every other month.

Why do you think March 2010 sales for the PS3 were so impressive? Battlefield: Bad Company 2?

EDIT: source: http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_yoy.php?reg=Global&start_year=2009&end_year=2012&console=PS3