By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Avengers: The Most Overrated Movie of the Year?

I'd say so, yes. It was quite boring imo. TDKR would be number 2 though.

Around the Network

I can't stand it when people go into an action movie like Avengers, Iron Man, Transformers, whatever, and come out criticizing it for not having emotion depth or some garbage like that. These are movies based on comic books, toys, kids shows, etc... Do people really walk in expecting an epic drama with emotional depth and oscar-worthy character development?? Do you walk into a burger joint and rate it poorly for not being a top-tier steakhouse?

It's an ACTION MOVIE, and a very good one at that, so no, not overrated.

According to that poll it would easily win the most overrated. They should have included Batman and some different movies. None of the other movies on that poll were ever promoted as top notch. I'm getting sick of action hero movies. I wonder what happens in the end? The good guys win overcoming some bullshit.  I'd rather see The Last Action Hero movie over any action movie that came out in 2012.  Actually, I'm getting tired of almost all pure action movies.  Bad guys not being able to shoot gets old.

Definitely agree, it was pretty poor. I don't mind over the top action flicks, this just wasn't a very good one.

That really unfair, not putting TDKR in there (I love TDKR). It's like "What's the most overrated movie? The highest grossing movie since Avatar, or these random movies no one cares about?".

Around the Network

There is no such thing as "overrated". The movie is rated the way it is rated and that's that.

I found the movie boring to watch since it wasn't my style, but the ratings are obviously still perfectly accurate. My sole insignificant opinion doesn't change that. Nor does a poll that only attracts extreme, biased opinions.

pezus said:
Jay520 said:
I'd say so, yes. It was quite boring imo. TDKR would be number 2 though.

Where would Skyfall be? Oh shit, I forgot to give you a new sig

NOWHERE!

timmah said:
I can't stand it when people go into an action movie like Avengers, Iron Man, Transformers, whatever, and come out criticizing it for not having emotion depth or some garbage like that. These are movies based on comic books, toys, kids shows, etc... Do people really walk in expecting an epic drama with emotional depth and oscar-worthy character development?? Do you walk into a burger joint and rate it poorly for not being a top-tier steakhouse?

Some comics these days can get quite emotional and dramatic. I do agree that people shouldn't expect this from overy comic book movie, though. It is just an action movie. Most of the time, they don't even resemble the original source material. Deep emotional dramas just isn't the goal most of the time, either. People just don't get that.

4 ≈ One

timmah said:

I mostly agree, I think there can be emotional depth, but it is meant to be a simple action movie that doesn't take itself too seriously

The same cannot be said for the Dark Knight Rises, the worst film I have seen in a very long time

It was a good film. Nothing more really. Special effects were excellent and the film worked well in 3d. But the story was a bit weak really. If like me you hadn't seen captain America and Thor beforehand the story was a bit confusing. Only after watching those films did I fully understand the avengers. Also, would anyone else agree that way too much time was spent on the plane. There was too much talking and not enough action. It took until the last 30 minutes for it to really start I thought.

And to be honest, Captain America is just a pathetic super hero. Hulk is too epic though.