By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Ps3 will FINALLY pass the xbox360 at some point,so what,s the big deal?it,s only 2013

Hubris. Some people still think PS3 will pass Wii eventually.

It all boils down to sales. They enjoy PS3 for its games, but they want the mental stability of owning something that isn't last in marketshare. But its been 7+ years....its hardly meaningful now.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
GameAnalyser said:
Nevermore said:
It probably will overtake the xbox, but even if it does by a margin, I would still consider the PS3 the looser of this gen (sales wise). Why? While selling a couple more console will give Sony a nice chunk of change in their pockets, it doesn't remotely cover the extra money MS made with software sales during all that time in which they had a bigger market share. This gen will be long over by the time Sony would have truly equalled MS.

Anyway, that's just the money perspective. I still prefer the Sony exclusives over the MS and Nintendo ones.

The PS3 still continues to sell at a pace that matters for Sony. And consistency was kept up round the years since 2009's slim launch. Although sales-wise the true impact wasn't created with respect to MS software sales  in US, I would still say Sony emerged from loosing this gen to ultimately winning it from behind by gradually improving the market share over the years.

Well, this depends on how you define 'winning' a generation. Your definition, as I take it, is to estimate the market share and/or buying strength of the consumer base at the end of the generation and see who has the biggest market. In this case, Sony has a strong case going for it, having a faster growing and only marginally smaller market share than the competition and healthy software sales. However, I think this would ignore the timespan in which Sony had a much lower market share, during which MS and Nintendo had lots of time to reap profits from their game sales.

I'd be interested to see how much first and third party software was sold in total for the respective consoles (perhaps with the sales of the first-party titles adjusted to account for the development costs) so you can really see how much money each platform made through software.

Dragon246 said:
Looks like MS fans are already preparing their "It doesn't matter" speeches.

Ive been saying this since 2010. We all know its gonna happen at some point. 

But for the former #1 brand in gaming to crawl to 2nd place after 7+ years and in all likelihood after the next xbox is released, not to mention the marketshare gains Xbox has made at the expense of Sonys.......to celebrate victory is to celebrate lowering the bar for your faction.

So by all means, celebrate

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I wonder when people will realise that out of the millions of 360's that RRoD'd (most on multiple occasions) how many more sales did the 360 get from that because of kids parents buying them a new one?

Oh and Sales2099, GT5 has sold more than double what Forza 4 has, and before you say "it came out 1 year before Forza 4", just look at PS3 to 360 sales, PS3 came out 1 year later but is on the brink of surpassing the 360 sales, and I believe it already would be past the 360 sales if millions of people didn't have to go and by another 360 because the 1st one RRoD'd...

Oh dear what am I saying, I'm defending Sony, god forbid I do such a thing?!!

Legend11 said:
VGKing said:
I think the fact that PS3 will surpass 360 itself isn't that important, its what it means that gets people mad. It means the Playstation brand is still strong and once it surpasses the 360...it means its stronger. It also means that next-gen Sony has the chance to take the lead much earlier since the Playstation brand has recovered.

(No, Playstation Vita isn't any indication of the strength of the Playstation brand)

The 360 sold 50+ million more than the last console, has the biggest third party franchises on its platform, and is dominant in North America so I doubt any 360 fans will care if the PS3 ever does manage to pass the 360 (other than to roll their eyes at people trying to spin what amounts to a massive decline in marketshare and mindshare from last generation). 

As for the Playstation brand having recovered, from where I'm sitting it doesn't dominate North America, Japan, UK, etc and Vita is basically a massive flop so to me that isn't even close to a recovery for the brand.  As for that chance of taking the lead next generation we'll have to wait and see what happens but this past year has shown they're still far from their old selves.

Pretty much exactly this. As someone who enjoys both MS and Sony consoles, the only thing that matters to me is that the 360 is dominant in the US and has a strong footing in Europe as well. Since those are the two biggest markets in gaming, that ensures the 360 has a large userbase and thus is supported for a long time. I loved the original Xbox but it did terrible in sales compared to the PS2 and support was dropped very fast. It wouldn't bother me for MS to finish in 3rd, so long as it isn't a distant 3rd that affects the console. Hell last gen it wasn't even 3rd, it was 2nd, and was still a bad enough beatdown that it made MS move on from the console early.

As far as caring about this "milestone", the only people who really care are Sony fanboys. They'll view it as some sort of huge win, even though as you said, the brand is still weaker, and it's just 2nd place. I'd still be worried if I were a Sony fanboy. As someone who owns both consoles and just enjoys the games, I am glad they sell a similar amount because it means both stay around longer and get more games. I couldn't care less that the PS3 sells better in irrelevant places like Japan and Guatemala.

To the fanboys griping about how other people downplay the potential passing of the 360, maybe if you guys didn't predict it every year and make way too many threads about it, a bigger deal would be made by other people? Just a suggestion to take into account for next gen. Let the game come to you.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Hubris. Some people still think PS3 will pass Wii eventually.

It all boils down to sales. They enjoy PS3 for its games, but they want the mental stability of owning something that isn't last in marketshare. But its been 7+ years....its hardly meaningful now.

That sounds a bit rich coming from you. 

sales2099 said:
Dragon246 said:

But for the former #1 brand in gaming to crawl to 2nd place after 7+ years and in all likelihood after the next xbox is released, not to mention the marketshare gains Xbox has made at the expense of Sonys.......to celebrate victory is to celebrate lowering the bar for your faction.

PS3 has outsold Xbox360 every full year on the market except for 2008. In direct competition, the 360 has lost. Nothing you say can change this fact.

dsgrue3 said:
sales2099 said:
Dragon246 said:

PS3 has outsold Xbox360 every full year on the market except for 2008. In direct competition, the 360 has lost. Nothing you say can change this fact.

No no no. It's not selling more yearly than the competition but it still won because compared to last gen, the brand sold more. 

That's twisting. But who cares. I want the system I make love with to win. So any way I can look at it to make it shine and win, then that's what I'll do.

Oh, and of course, all of this while hypocritically accusing the other "factions" (for lack of a better word) of doing the same.

dsgrue3 said:

That may be true, but it's worth acknowledging that the 360 has consistently outsold PS3 in the US and UK, even if nowhere else (though not sure about Canada or Mexico).  

ethomaz said:
It will pass Wii... so the 360 is not a big deal.

LOL....What?

how much did you drink on new years? I think it may still be affecting you.