By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's chances of going bankrupt in the next two years

SpartenOmega117 said:
Sony will continue to lose money but the Japanese gov will not allow them to fall. Sony is one of those companies IMO that will never go down.

actually, generally the way zaibatsu corporations work is that when problems get too great, they have another company take a dive for them. They don't rely on the government, i think.

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
always fun when people don't read the op and just comment the title. pezus his thread was also a great example for that.

Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod.

If the Bank of Japan yields to Shinzo Abe (ironic that the conservatives in Japan are the ones calling for loose money), then Sony shall be saved.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

The real problem Sony faces is that their net liabilities are at $140 Billion, their net icome is at -$5 Billion, and their debt to equity ratio is at 83% ...

At the current rate, in the not too distant future (2 to 3 years) Sony will have a book value of $0. There best option is to file for chapter 11, convince debt holders to take a haircut (probably resulting in liabilities being reduced by 50% to 75%) by diluting shareholder equity, and to restructure the company to return to profitability.

Sony are in trouble, there is no doubt about that. But they are a very very big company, with their fingers in many different fields of business. They would begin selling off the 'less profitable' portions of their business, including patents, before they simple go bankrupt. They will be around for a great deal longer, though their former glory of the 90's will probably never return

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Around the Network
Barozi said:
crissindahouse said:
always fun when people don't read the op and just comment the title. pezus his thread was also a great example for that.

Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod.

Ich schiebe es auf Legasthenie

Wont Happen, they will drop a division eg TV, stereo's, before Bankruptcy happens. There gaming devison is strong and its here 2 stay. SONY is going 2 be here for a long time.

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

I'm surprised by the number of posts that seem to believe bankruptcy is the same as going out of business ...

HappySqurriel said:
I'm surprised by the number of posts that seem to believe bankruptcy is the same as going out of business ...

Likely because a lot of game industry bankruptcies are usually by companies in bad enough condition to lead to straight-up liquidation.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

thehusbo said:
z101 said:
I think in two years Sony will be history, perhaps some parts of Sony survive, but the playstation brand will be gone. Face the facts the "Playstation" is not a big name anymore. 10 years ago it was the synonyme for consoles for many people, and perhaps better recognized as "nintendo" but today the playstation brand has lost its recognition value.

The PS3 has lost billions of dollar and is the third (last) place in the current consoles cycle. The PSP got only popular in Japan. PSP redesigns like the PSPgo were big flops. The Vita is a worldwide flop. With the very cheap look-and-feel of the last PS3 redesign Sony hurts the playstation brand brand even brown.

Sonys gaming division loses money every year since six years. There has been some marginally profitable quarters but overall the gaming division burned billions of dollars.

If (to be honest it is not an "if", IT WILL HAPPEN only the point in time in the next two years is unknown) Sonys is a the end and will be liquidated the gaming division will be one part that will get not many attention. It not has lost as many money as other parts of Sony but it has lost money always. There will be not many interest to continue the playstation brand because obviously there is no future for the PS4 without investing billions of dollars. But with PS3 and Vita already money burner no investors would raise an eyebrow for this. Perhaps the brand will be sold and use for other technical things (like brands like "commodore" and "atari" has been) a few years after commodore (C64, AMIGA) collapsed.

And it will not suddenly turn out good in the end. Face the facts, Sony is at the end of its history and will be liquidated soon. Many people already wrote facts based articles (me too: http://www.zimmer101.de/wiiu-spiele/sonys-niedergang.html ). Even so I prefer Nintendo games I feel bad about Sonys slow death. In the next ten years we will see if and how Microsoft and Nintendo survive.

Right so playstation isn't a big name anymore. Yet the ps3 still managed to outsell the 360 in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012, and the wii for the past 2 years. Despite launching at $600 and over a year later than the 360 its on the verge of passing it. You tell me how that's a brand that's lost all its recognition value.

What's wrong with you? Did you identify him as 360-fan and felt you have to bring this into argumentation? z101 is a nintendo-fanboy, your profiling failed.