By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's chances of going bankrupt in the next two years

I know this will sound crazy, but I think Sony needs to make a bold, ground shaking move in the video game and cell phone business.

Call Nintendo. Call Iwata. Kaz Hirai is a game guy too, they can talk shop.

Look past the 3DS, give Nintendo a sweetheart deal to collaborate on a handheld platform that can be integrated into cell phones and tablets. Make it a partnership, 50-50, both sides have hardware input.

Nintendo sooner or later is going to need a partner to get into the cell/tablet business IMO. They won't do it themselves and it will be a cold day in hell before they pimp out Mario to the 99 cent iOS market. They want to retain control of hardware, licensing fees (or at least a bulk of them) ... but they will need a partner.

Look past the foolish fanboy system wars, it's 2013 now, just as Sony is now working with Panasonic (of all companies) on TVs, it's time to bring together the two Japanese game giants as well. Get to Nintendo, Sony. Before Apple or Samsung or Microsoft or Google or Disney does.

Nintendo will never go third party in a conventional sense, but I think in the next few years, the window will open where they would consider a mutually beneficial partnership, with the preference being a Japanese company that doesn't have the funds to attempt a hostile take over. Sony fits the bill and brings video game expertise to the table as well.

Around the Network

Bankrupt? lol. Most likely cut several divisions where they need to. Lets post logic here. Not live in some fantasy world.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

CCFanboy said:
Bankrupt? lol. Most likely cut several divisions where they need to. Lets post logic here. Not live in some fantasy world.

That massive debt doesn't just magically go away if they shut down some divisions. 

Soundwave said:
CCFanboy said:

That massive debt doesn't just magically go away if they shut down some divisions. 

Bankruptcy also doesn't necessarily mean liquidation and going out of business.  What it does mean is having the courts dismiss your debt.  There will be reorganization.  What would end up happening, if bankruptcy went through, is Sony would end up cutting several divisions and reorganizing, coming out more streamlined.  

Personally, I am aware on this, but I would rather not think on it.  Considering the state of the videogame industry and losses now, I could see Sony going bankrupt could have a smaller effect than what happen when Atari reported record losses back in the day and got spun off by Time-Warner.  I see a mini version of the crash of the 1980s, so I don't want to thijnk of it.

looks like things are going well. better then the sector itself.

Around the Network

I really don't think Sony will go bankrupt in the next two years.

If anything they have hit their low and are slowly starting to turn things around (mostly due to Kaz Hirai taking action).

Just looking at the past month, Sony's stock is up 18.78%