By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New (depressing) FF-XIII: Lightning Returns news

I don't mind much of these knew changes actually. Sounds refreshing but I will say that making Lighting the one playable person in the game (as in no party members) is a stupid fucking idea. I love RPGs with multiple party members, which is why I enjoyed FFXIII and why i decided to give FFXIII-2 a try, which surprisingly is pretty good.

I really hope they add some party members, only MMORPGs should be single party RPGs.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network
KHlover said:
Soleron said:
That quote doesn't sound bad? Could you explain what the hidden meaning is?

I don't know your preferences, but only one playable character, no experience points, dumbed down combat and a time limit for the story mode don't sound too good for me, especially not in a Final Fantasy.

I haven't played FF so I don't know what's normal. Thanks for explaining.

Soleron said:
KHlover said:
Soleron said:
That quote doesn't sound bad? Could you explain what the hidden meaning is?

I don't know your preferences, but only one playable character, no experience points, dumbed down combat and a time limit for the story mode don't sound too good for me, especially not in a Final Fantasy.

I haven't played FF so I don't know what's normal. Thanks for explaining.

You're welcome^^

Hynad said:
Fusioncode said:
pokoko said:
bananaking21 said:
so could somebody explain to me whats happening with final fantasy? wasnt final fantasy one HUGE and people used to LOVE it? im not a fan or anything but i only hear people complaining and criticizing when it comes to final fantasy now days. whats up with square and why is all this happening? could somebody explain it to me?

The general public is never satisfied with Final Fantasy.  It's a situation where people will complain no matter what.  I remember a few years ago when all everyone talked about was how stale JRPGs had become, how everything was the same.  Then XIII changed some of the old formulas, some of which I thought was for the better, but it was met with anger that they'd dared to try something different.  It's really kind of funny and sad at the same time.

I remember a huge, long list someone made about all the differences XIII had compared to traditional RPGs.  There was this massive out-pouring of rage, even though I thought a  lot of the new elements were positive things.

The only thing Square can do and not be greeted with mass whining is to rehash VII over and over. The series will always be judged by what it's not, at this point; "it doesn't have this, it doesn't have that, and, OMG, the weapons and armor can be bought at the SAME PLACE -cuts wrist-".  Most people won't judge the Final Fantasy games separately, they just want to compare and moan about how things are not exactly the same.

Don't get me wrong, FF XIII did some things wrong, but it was a good game.  Had it been published without the "Final Fantasy" part, you would never have heard most of the complaints and the reception would have been much more positive.  That's because only the people who wanted to play THIS particular game would have bought it, not the people who just want FF7 re-skinned.

I have to disagree with you there, 13 was nothing but a rehash. The same exact characters we've already seen, and the same basic plotline. A group of teenagers team to stop an evil corporation using mysterious superpowers. Lightning is just another Cloud, Vanille is another Rikku, Sazh is a stereotypical black guy obsessed wth a chicken, Hope is another Tidus, Snow is another Zell, ano so on. The only things FF13 did different was simplify the combat and make the game extremely linear. This is why I'm anxiously awaiting Versus 13, because it looks like the first true evolution of the series since FF9. 

FF IX, an evolution? As much as I like FF IX, being on my top 3 in the series, to call it evolutionary is laughable at best.

FF XII was evolutionary, no matter if you enjoyed it or not.

Well I guess FF9 was more of a callback to the classic games, but after two games with a fairly futuristic artstyle, I would consider it an evolution. FF12 was a big change in the series, but the same basic plot and character structure remained intact. Except now it was a single player MMO, probably my least favorite game in the series. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
Hynad said:
Fusioncode said:
pokoko said:
bananaking21 said:
so could somebody explain to me whats happening with final fantasy? wasnt final fantasy one HUGE and people used to LOVE it? im not a fan or anything but i only hear people complaining and criticizing when it comes to final fantasy now days. whats up with square and why is all this happening? could somebody explain it to me?

The general public is never satisfied with Final Fantasy.  It's a situation where people will complain no matter what.  I remember a few years ago when all everyone talked about was how stale JRPGs had become, how everything was the same.  Then XIII changed some of the old formulas, some of which I thought was for the better, but it was met with anger that they'd dared to try something different.  It's really kind of funny and sad at the same time.

I remember a huge, long list someone made about all the differences XIII had compared to traditional RPGs.  There was this massive out-pouring of rage, even though I thought a  lot of the new elements were positive things.

The only thing Square can do and not be greeted with mass whining is to rehash VII over and over. The series will always be judged by what it's not, at this point; "it doesn't have this, it doesn't have that, and, OMG, the weapons and armor can be bought at the SAME PLACE -cuts wrist-".  Most people won't judge the Final Fantasy games separately, they just want to compare and moan about how things are not exactly the same.

Don't get me wrong, FF XIII did some things wrong, but it was a good game.  Had it been published without the "Final Fantasy" part, you would never have heard most of the complaints and the reception would have been much more positive.  That's because only the people who wanted to play THIS particular game would have bought it, not the people who just want FF7 re-skinned.

I have to disagree with you there, 13 was nothing but a rehash. The same exact characters we've already seen, and the same basic plotline. A group of teenagers team to stop an evil corporation using mysterious superpowers. Lightning is just another Cloud, Vanille is another Rikku, Sazh is a stereotypical black guy obsessed wth a chicken, Hope is another Tidus, Snow is another Zell, ano so on. The only things FF13 did different was simplify the combat and make the game extremely linear. This is why I'm anxiously awaiting Versus 13, because it looks like the first true evolution of the series since FF9. 

FF IX, an evolution? As much as I like FF IX, being on my top 3 in the series, to call it evolutionary is laughable at best.

FF XII was evolutionary, no matter if you enjoyed it or not.

Well I guess FF9 was more of a callback to the classic games, but after two games with a fairly futuristic artstyle, I would consider it an evolution. FF12 was a big change in the series, but the same basic plot and character structure remained intact. Except now it was a single player MMO, probably my least favorite game in the series. 

A single player MMO... What an oxymoron.

The play style changed slightly, you don't have to mindlessly press the confirm button to achieve the same task over an over again to go through the regular battles.  For the battles that did matter though, you had to prepare carefully, just like in the other titles.

The battle system changed in the way you input your choices, but the choices given to you were still the same.

Around the Network

ff12 was a piece of crap in my opinion, was nothing more than a gimped ff11:online, without the online part. i almost gave up on ff series all together because of that game. but ff13 got me to like the series again and i am glad it was made and its sequels because i am enjoying the hell out of them. :)

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
ff12 was a piece of crap in my opinion, was nothing more than a gimped ff11:online, without the online part. i almost gave up on ff series all together because of that game. but ff13 got me to like the series again and i am glad it was made and its sequels because i am enjoying the hell out of them. :)

Why don't you just grow up. Final Fantasy sucks and it has a really gimped inline aspect as well.

Meh, bargin bin purchase for me.

It only depressing because Square takes 8 years to make Versus 13.
It just won't release that game... and keep releasing 13 sequels.

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:

I've heard a few people who have felt the same way, but I really liked FF12. Not so much for it being great or anything, but the soundtrack was really good, it was fun gameplay to the point I put in over 100+ hours in it... it wasn't the best, but it was a decent, good RPG. I wouldn't say it was very unique, except the gameplay... which really surprised me how much I liked it. The story isn't very memorable though, but some of the characters were, if that makes any sense... I don't remember much about the levels, the plot, or anything at all... I could replay it and it would feel like a new game now. I just remember it being a great gameplay to pass the time when I was bedridden... and having a really good soundtrack.

I haven't played 13, but I think it's kinda been understood that at about 12, we started to believe we were seeing the decline of the series. I honestly don't have as much interest in what Squeenix does anymore... I liked 12, but you could tell they have forgot their magic potion somewhere.

pokoko said:
bananaking21 said:

What you said makes no sense, you say the general public is never satisfied with FF but yet you say that all the want is to rehash FF7? Well that means at some point that people were VERY satisfied. Matter of fact, 13 and maybe to a lesser extent 12 are the only real mainline polarizing FF games. People are still buying FF7, so maybe you got a point in the rehash, but isnt Lighting just a rehash of Cloud? No one was mad that they tried something different, at least not most. They were mad that it didnt reall work. And what did they try different? They didnt add anything, all they did was take stuff away, battle system was different, which I thought it was ok at the very least. But the game was really just a dungeon which we've seen for years. I think people would rather have familiar elements that work that play something that tries to be different but isnt nearly as fun as whay they've played before...works for Mario, COD, most other series.

I still dont see why this game shouldnt be judged by all the other FF games, that never made sense to me, do people no Judge Mario or Zelda based on the others, theres a thread going on like that right NOW for Zelda doing just that, for the sake of argument Ill agree with you, but you have to judge it by JRPG standards. IMHO I can throw a dart at a wall of PS1 JRPGs and ill probably hit a better game than FF13, Grandia was better than it, IMHO>.

I get you like the game, I didnt and thats cool, whats not cool is trying to dismiss people's greivances with simply saying "they just hating" Its not that much different than saying if you liked the game, "you must not be a true fan or just plain stupid" (not saying that BTW)  People are annoyed that 13-3 is being made because it is taking away resources from games that have been waiting to play, its that simple. We still dont have Versus, we dont know WTF is going on with localization with Type-0(that could be SOny's stupid fault), Ff14 remix or WE is still not in beta and they keep cramming KH portable games down our throats hoping we wont notice the absence of 3. I can see where people are coming from, personally I dont care. Stop caring about Versus awhile ago, never cared for MMOs so it doesnt matter how well they can turn 14 around, KH no longer makes sense so to hell with that. THe only thing that is grinding my gears is no Type-0 which sucks because that game is good, but that has nothing to do with whats going on with 13 so meh.