By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New (depressing) FF-XIII: Lightning Returns news

No QTEs? Sold.

Around the Network

in b4 ban

I don't want to sound bitter, but I'm not exactly sure what information is new here. I thought most of this was already known for months. Like, around the time the game was announced/revealed. Except for the QTE's thing. That I didn't know, but I'm glad to here they are absent. Also, I'm not sure what is meant by the character custimization thing. I would need clarification on what is meant by that.

Soleron said:
KHlover said:
Soleron said:
That quote doesn't sound bad? Could you explain what the hidden meaning is?

I don't know your preferences, but only one playable character, no experience points, dumbed down combat and a time limit for the story mode don't sound too good for me, especially not in a Final Fantasy.

I haven't played FF so I don't know what's normal. Thanks for explaining.

This game will be like Majora's Mask. It's trying a couple of new ideas for the franchise and people will hate it for it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

LOL wut?

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
Hynad said:
Fusioncode said:
pokoko said:
bananaking21 said:
so could somebody explain to me whats happening with final fantasy? wasnt final fantasy one HUGE and people used to LOVE it? im not a fan or anything but i only hear people complaining and criticizing when it comes to final fantasy now days. whats up with square and why is all this happening? could somebody explain it to me?

The general public is never satisfied with Final Fantasy.  It's a situation where people will complain no matter what.  I remember a few years ago when all everyone talked about was how stale JRPGs had become, how everything was the same.  Then XIII changed some of the old formulas, some of which I thought was for the better, but it was met with anger that they'd dared to try something different.  It's really kind of funny and sad at the same time.

I remember a huge, long list someone made about all the differences XIII had compared to traditional RPGs.  There was this massive out-pouring of rage, even though I thought a  lot of the new elements were positive things.

The only thing Square can do and not be greeted with mass whining is to rehash VII over and over. The series will always be judged by what it's not, at this point; "it doesn't have this, it doesn't have that, and, OMG, the weapons and armor can be bought at the SAME PLACE -cuts wrist-".  Most people won't judge the Final Fantasy games separately, they just want to compare and moan about how things are not exactly the same.

Don't get me wrong, FF XIII did some things wrong, but it was a good game.  Had it been published without the "Final Fantasy" part, you would never have heard most of the complaints and the reception would have been much more positive.  That's because only the people who wanted to play THIS particular game would have bought it, not the people who just want FF7 re-skinned.

I have to disagree with you there, 13 was nothing but a rehash. The same exact characters we've already seen, and the same basic plotline. A group of teenagers team to stop an evil corporation using mysterious superpowers. Lightning is just another Cloud, Vanille is another Rikku, Sazh is a stereotypical black guy obsessed wth a chicken, Hope is another Tidus, Snow is another Zell, ano so on. The only things FF13 did different was simplify the combat and make the game extremely linear. This is why I'm anxiously awaiting Versus 13, because it looks like the first true evolution of the series since FF9. 

FF IX, an evolution? As much as I like FF IX, being on my top 3 in the series, to call it evolutionary is laughable at best.

FF XII was evolutionary, no matter if you enjoyed it or not.

Well I guess FF9 was more of a callback to the classic games, but after two games with a fairly futuristic artstyle, I would consider it an evolution. FF12 was a big change in the series, but the same basic plot and character structure remained intact. Except now it was a single player MMO, probably my least favorite game in the series. 

FFIX, without any question or doubt, is my favorite game of all time. I love more than any experience I've ever had and I have to disagree. It wasn't evoluntary in terms of innovation or steps in the series. It took a lot of older ideas and improved on them. And FFXII was still turn-based and the gambit system was completely optional. I didn't use them on whatever character I was controlling and let the CPU use the other party members with me still overriding their commands every now and then.

outlawauron said:
Soleron said:
KHlover said:
Soleron said:

I don't know your preferences, but only one playable character, no experience points, dumbed down combat and a time limit for the story mode don't sound too good for me, especially not in a Final Fantasy.

This game will be like Majora's Mask. It's trying a couple of new ideas for the franchise and people will hate it for it.

Ironically adding a time travel mechanic to this story would be exactly what people want.

DCOK said:
If all of that remains true until launch day, it will prove the untold theory floating around some people's minds who are FED UP with this "Lightning Saga" that this final game is just a shell sent out to make a quick few bucks.

They should have stopped after the first game-XIII, for quality's sake.

All I have to say is that I sincerely hope LR is terrible, I hope it has terrible reviews, and I hope even the XIII fans (of which may constitute half of the Final Fantasy fan base, with the other half hating this trilogy) hate this game. Maybe then will the sales be dreadful and SE will quit screwing us over and get back to making quality games and not just visually pretty linear monstrosities.

And I say all of that for all of our sake as FF fans and gamers. Despite whether you genuinely liked XIII and it's sequels, the fact that SE has decided to drain this as far as it can and soaked up the $$$ with a cheap and overused product, is sad and needs to stop.

Where is Versus XIII? Where is Kingdom Hearts 3? Where is a playable version of FF XIV?

Those are 3 MAJOR titles that needed work and released before 3 freaking XIII "Lightning Saga" games.

Closed Beta for FFXIV starts in mid-February with information coming out in January. I'm a Legacy Member because of my account, so I'm automatically going to be in the Beta for FFXIV: ARR from the start. Oh, and the Alpha was awesome; it felt like what FFXIV should have been, even though there was limited content, it was its own game. Trust me, that game is going to be nothing but the best game it possibly can be. It's pure fan-service as there are elements, themes, NPCs/monsters from past FF games. The development team of FFXIV is split from the other teams in S-E. Oh, and FFXI is getting it's 5th expansion pack in March I may start that game up again and get my character back up to speed as my friends from my in-game LS on FFXIV are going to help me on their server.

Soleron said:
outlawauron said:
Soleron said:
KHlover said:
Soleron said:

Ironically adding a time travel mechanic to this story would be exactly what people want.

Time Travel is the foundation of Final Fantasy XIII-2.

outlawauron said:
Soleron said:
outlawauron said:
Soleron said:
KHlover said:
Soleron said:

Time Travel is the foundation of Final Fantasy XIII-2.

I mean having unlimited playtime via the Majora's Mask style, instead of fixed time as stated.