By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 2 shipments in Japan cease today

Will take many years before this happens everywhere in the world. Actually last quarter PS2 shipped more than Wii or DS.

Around the Network

About time

Switch!!!

It's lasted a lot longer than I would have thought. I wonder how long until this starts to occur worldwide and the console finally goes out of production. There maybe a couple of million still left in it.

What a damn good console. First console I personally saved up my own money to buy. My guess is Sony sent out a large last shipment to Japan, enough to last them for the rest of FY2012 and maybe slightly beyond, while it will still continue to ship PS2s to the smaller markets for another year or so. I believe they are still shipping to the US, as well. Considering the PS2 was still selling decent for a 12 year old console, this is most likely to make way for the production of the PS4. 2013 is looking more likely to be the launch year.

Oh, and all hail the king of ALL consoles.  (DS included.  )

007BondAgent said:
I don't get it, the PS2 is selling slightly less then the 360

Sometimes even more, yet the 360 is still being shipped over there?

Make's no sense

Makes a lot of sense since the PS2 is been dead for a while now when it comes to software releases and sales.

Around the Network

PS2 the indisputable (still being disputed by fellow DS devotees) king of home consoles. Unlike Wii, it was not only popular, but well respected by all gamers. Bid you farewell ! (In droid playstashion tone with accent)

Twelve years.

Goodnight sweet prince.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Thanks for the jak and daxter games :D