By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 2 shipments in Japan cease today

007BondAgent said:
I don't get it, the PS2 is selling slightly less then the 360

Sometimes even more, yet the 360 is still being shipped over there?

Make's no sense

MS has to keep shipping in Japan for PR reasons.

Around the Network
smbu2000 said:
007BondAgent said:
I don't get it, the PS2 is selling slightly less then the 360

Sometimes even more, yet the 360 is still being shipped over there?

Make's no sense

Sony currently has the PS2/PS3/PSP/PSV and soon to be PS4. I'd imagine it would be hard for retailers to keep stocking so many systems in Japan, they have to cut something. They also have to keep stock of the DS (although they aren't really replenishing stock of this), Wii(will probably fade out the longer the Wii U is around), 3DS and Wii U. MS only has the 360 in Japan and it doesn't sell that much so keeping much stock isn't a problem.

They are also still releasing games for the 360, so that is not a problem. On the other hand I haven't seen a new PS2 game released in ages. The PS2 game sections in stores is also slowly dwindling.

RIP PS2. I've owned several JP PS2's over the years. I still have one JP PS2 under my tv now.

Not even PES and Fifa? You... have missed some things

UnknownFact said:

Not even PES and Fifa? You... have missed some things

I guess there is Fifa, The last Winning Eleven game didn't release on the PS2 (WE 2013), but they did release WE 2012 on it. I'm not interested in soccer anyway, so that's probably why it wasn't on my radar. ;-p

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

All hail the king of consoles. Its feat of 1.5 billion software sales is likely to remain unmatched for years.

beast of a system. as i was posting this i took a look at my original playstation 2 box over in the corner of my room. i still got it for some reason!!

Around the Network

I thought this day would never come. *sniffle Probably going to track down a brand new PS2 when I have some spare cash to keep around for nostalgia. I was 7 when the PS2 first came out. Now I'm 20. Dayum!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Thinking back on all of the awesome gaming I did on PS1, PS2, and PSP, makes me a bit sad when I look at how "few" PS3 games I have.

Personally, gaming's best for me was on SNES, PS1, and GC. But, PS2 has the most room for me to explore many many more games I never played. So, though PS2 is ending production, my adventures with it are far from over. :)

My hopes for new games that appeal to me are getting sparse these days. But, on the bright side, games I have overlooked gens 3-6 are still plentiful, and I still have stacks of games for those systems I haven't even opened yet, so it might be time for a back log marathon!!! :D

Dragon246 said:
All hail the king of consoles. Its feat of 1.5 billion software sales is likely to remain unmatched for years.

If we never get reliable figures for digital sales, it will likely never be matched.

the_dengle said:
Dragon246 said:

If we never get reliable figures for digital sales, it will likely never be matched.

We also have to account for the fact that digital only games are generally cheaper. Maybe its better to say ps2 like dominance will be a rare sight to see unless some hardware maker hangs up its boots.

Nsanity said:

Saw this over on NeoGaf

December 28, 2012, page introduces PlayStation 2 Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) ( here at that), shipments of the PlayStation 2 in Japan has completed has been announced today. Thus, what is new is only left in the market
PlayStation 2, released on March 04, 2000 as the successor to the PlayStation. While performing a model change, such as power saving and miniaturization, as popular game hardware stationary, it is supported by the game fans over a long period of time. In addition, since the DVD player also has the ability, I also helped its spread. The worldwide cumulative sales of more than 50 million 100 million.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201212/28026636.html

congratz, ps2! the most successful stationary console ever which won't have a successor saleswise. the title will be yours forever.

your success was a combination of good hardware, the success of psx, sega ceasing, nintendo's gamecube not reaching masses, great games, great new ideas for casuals (eyetoy, singstar) and a lot of marketing-effort.