By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Gun control debate issues that bother me. Will Libertarians and Republicans please address these?

killerzX said:
Scoobes said:
killerzX said:
Scoobes said:
HappySqurriel said:

If anything, you're argument has a major lack of logic. Cars are in everyday use, all the time and all over the US. Of course more accidental deaths are going to be caused by cars. If everyone that owned a gun had to empty a magazine/clip of ammo everyday for every gun that they owned and in a open access/public environment, then you might have a point. As it is, most people don't have to shoot their gun in this manner just to get by in their daily lives.

If all the guns in the US were to magically disappear, you would probably suffer a little in terms of the economy. If cars got taken out of America, you'd be fucked because cars are far more essential both socially and economically than guns.

The car comparison really is a pathetic one. The argument also assumes that since we can't eliminate all avoidable deaths, that we should never take any measures to decrease avoidable deaths, which is quite frankly, silly in the extreme.

And you didn't actually disprove anything I said. Restrictions for driving a car are more strict. If you want to legally drive a car on public roads (it's primary use), you need to take a written and practical test. If you want a gun for self-defence (normally cited as its primary use) do you need to take a written or practical test to prove your proficiency and responsibility in its use?

Like I said originally, I don't think outright banning guns would work anyway, but the arguments from the pro-gun crowd can be so faulty.

Anyway, I'm going to read sc94597 reply/post. He actually provided some useful information rather than rhetoric.

actually millions of gun owners shoot their guns every day, millions more, use there guns buy carrying it around on their person everyday. my point was to spotlight how stupid the claim of "guns sole purpose is to kill" first of all thats untrue, 2nd it kills a lot less thn things thats apparent purpose is not to kill.

also in order to carry o a gun in public, yes you do need to take a test to prove you competency in its use and handling.

Lastly owning guns is a RIGHT! driving cars is not.

the lack of logic and lack of knowledge on the gun topic of the anti-constition, anti-self defense croud is humous if not sad.

OK, so what's the purpose of using a gun? Usually, if you use a gun, it's to kill, incapacitate or maim something. If you own a gun, it's usually to stop someone from doing one of the above to you, by doing the same to them first. Or they're used to hunt... which is essentially killing, right?

What else does it do?

And don't most gun owners keep their gun (for self-defence) in the house?

Around the Network
Scoobes said:

OK, so what's the purpose of using a gun? Usually, if you use a gun, it's to kill, incapacitate or maim something. If you own a gun, it's usually to stop someone from doing one of the above to you, by doing the same to them first. Or they're used to hunt... which is essentially killing, right?

What else does it do?

Guns can also be used in recreational and sport activities or as a collection (engineering or historical significance.) The responsibilities with owning a gun can also be a means to teach discipline, which is why most boy scouts learn to use guns very young. These are all secondary purposes, but purposes nevertheless. If we are all to be selfless in the matter, then we she get rid of cars that have only aesthetic features that might have secondary harmful effects, any car that is a certain age, because they're dangerous and not build with the best safety measures, or any car that goes faster than 80 mph should be rid of, because in the United States we don't have any speed limits faster than that and if somebody is drunk they might go that fast and kill themselves. If we only owned what we needed then many products in the world wouldn't exist. Hence, why it's a riduclous question to ask, "why do you need it?" when referring to private ownership of something. Hence, outright bans of certain weapons at all shouldn't be the legislature, because those who show they are responsible enough to not harm others have the right to own private property regardless of purpose. 

By the way, something I learned today. With $5 somebody can make a wooden han!dgun! That's awesome and scary! With $100 they can make an automatic weapon. That's mostly scary!  So those are reasons enough for why prohibition would be a problem. Of course, you're not arguing for prohibition, but I just want to bring up this information anyway. 

Oh this video might be useful for this thread by the way. It explains what "assault weapons" are and how they're different from "assault rifles."  Skip to 5:58 if you don't wanna know the history. 

I do not think gun control will FIX the problem, but I think it needs to be addressed because it is too easy to get your hands on one now. Making it harder to get will make the crime harder to commit. The second thing that needs to be done is finding a way to prevent the crime from happening in the first place. However, that is infinitely more difficult that implementing gun control.

Around the Network
nuckles87 said:

I don't need to use the term "clips" properly to read a graph or chart that shows that the United States has a far higher violent crime rate then most other countries with better gun control laws or conscription (keep in mind I saaid most, not all, as I'm sure some exceptions exist).

That's actually not true.  Most countries have stricter gun control laws... and have more violent crime.

Of course, differing country data is stupid to use because of tons of cultural and other differences.  What would be better to use would be info from the same country, with different laws.

So you have this.

VS

sc94597 said:
betacon said:
sc94597 said:
betacon said:

to get a knife licence in Australia,

Holy crap, one needs a license to own (or carry?) a knife in Australia? It does tell me something, but not what it told you. 

Yes you can't cary even a pocketknife into public and to purchase a knife you need a license which you still can't bring into a public area, yes this is over the top "nanny state" both between Australia and America there's middle ground .

The problem is that there is always a "middle ground" It reminds me of Zeno's paradox and how one might seemingly never reach their destination if they keep moving half the distance they moved before, but essentially the sum of the limit of each adds up to a finite number. So with each "compromise" we get closer and closer to that nanny state, and it only remains a nanny state when it's benevolent, otherwise it turns totalitarian. No thank you! I value freedom very much, and invidual liberties are very important for living a "good life" albeit not necessarily a totally safe one. However; these idealisms always lead to dissapointment and often ruin (substantiated by history.) Hence, when it comes to individual liberties there is no compromise which deals with the state's involvement. Compromise must be within the society, which is a separate and distinct entity from the state and which has a different origin and different values. The state is meant to protect our liberties as long as they don't intrude upon the liberties and freedoms of others. Hence, lawful citizens should be able to own what they want. There ARE other solutions, and it is clear with the diversity found among the various states in the U.S, in which many have many guns but few homicides. 

The thing about the "nanny state" argument is that if you live in a society where the citizens can't be trusted to govern themselves voluntarily, and manage to prevent mentally unstable people from getting guns, then the state will have to increasingly babysit the citizens and act like a nanny, for their safety.  Complaining about a "nanny state" and trying to win an argument, doesn't address people's concerns, and does nothing to reduce the shootings, or getting people concerned about them.

Also, I have to ask about the "gun-free school" initiative, and if people here thimnk that parents want to send their kids to schools where there are armed individuals about, and kids can bring their own guns to school.

richardhutnik said:
sc94597 said:
betacon said:
sc94597 said:
betacon said:

to get a knife licence in Australia,

Holy crap, one needs a license to own (or carry?) a knife in Australia? It does tell me something, but not what it told you. 

Yes you can't cary even a pocketknife into public and to purchase a knife you need a license which you still can't bring into a public area, yes this is over the top "nanny state" both between Australia and America there's middle ground .

The problem is that there is always a "middle ground" It reminds me of Zeno's paradox and how one might seemingly never reach their destination if they keep moving half the distance they moved before, but essentially the sum of the limit of each adds up to a finite number. So with each "compromise" we get closer and closer to that nanny state, and it only remains a nanny state when it's benevolent, otherwise it turns totalitarian. No thank you! I value freedom very much, and invidual liberties are very important for living a "good life" albeit not necessarily a totally safe one. However; these idealisms always lead to dissapointment and often ruin (substantiated by history.) Hence, when it comes to individual liberties there is no compromise which deals with the state's involvement. Compromise must be within the society, which is a separate and distinct entity from the state and which has a different origin and different values. The state is meant to protect our liberties as long as they don't intrude upon the liberties and freedoms of others. Hence, lawful citizens should be able to own what they want. There ARE other solutions, and it is clear with the diversity found among the various states in the U.S, in which many have many guns but few homicides. 

The thing about the "nanny state" argument is that if you live in a society where the citizens can't be trusted to govern themselves voluntarily, and manage to prevent mentally unstable people from getting guns, then the state will have to increasingly babysit the citizens and act like a nanny, for their safety.  Complaining about a "nanny state" and trying to win an argument, doesn't address people's concerns, and does nothing to reduce the shootings, or getting people concerned about them.

Also, I have to ask about the "gun-free school" initiative, and if people here thimnk that parents want to send their kids to schools where there are armed individuals about, and kids can bring their own guns to school.

Yet how can one trust the state when states are much more prone to mass-murder than citizens, as substantiated by history? (Last century 170 million people died by states)

I'm not saying give kids guns, as that was a mistake in our history, even though it was a time when people were far less "worried" about them. However; parents have no choice when kids go to supermarkets or playgrounds or anywhere and there are people concealed carrying, why should they have a choice if the students are with teachers who conceal carry, who are probably the most trustworthy people when it comes to guns. 

I'd also like to add that 99.96% of gun owners do self-govern properly by the way.

sc94597 said:
Scoobes said:

What else does it do?

Guns can also be used in recreational and sport activities or as a collection (engineering or historical significance.) The responsibilities with owning a gun can also be a means to teach discipline, which is why most boy scouts learn to use guns very young. These are all secondary purposes, but purposes nevertheless. If we are all to be selfless in the matter, then we she get rid of cars that have only aesthetic features that might have secondary harmful effects, any car that is a certain age, because they're dangerous and not build with the best safety measures, or any car that goes faster than 80 mph should be rid of, because in the United States we don't have any speed limits faster than that and if somebody is drunk they might go that fast and kill themselves. If we only owned what we needed then many products in the world wouldn't exist. Hence, why it's a riduclous question to ask, "why do you need it?" when referring to private ownership of something. Hence, outright bans of certain weapons at all shouldn't be the legislature, because those who show they are responsible enough to not harm others have the right to own private property regardless of purpose. 

By the way, something I learned today. With $5 somebody can make a wooden han!dgun! That's awesome and scary! With $100 they can make an automatic weapon. That's mostly scary!  So those are reasons enough for why prohibition would be a problem. Of course, you're not arguing for prohibition, but I just want to bring up this information anyway. 

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks. 

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasjeff411888.html#EctDwDlfmKYkqBDq.99 

Thomas Jefferson