By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Gun control debate issues that bother me. Will Libertarians and Republicans please address these?

sc94597 said:

@dsgrue If you were declared as a terrorist, but you were in fact innocent, how would you maintain your innocence without due process? The issue isn't that it happened, but what it means to give congress and the president such power over citizens with only a manipulation of arbitrary terminology to determine those entitled to due process and those who are not entitled.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Until the government abuses the legislation in this manner, I have no issue with it. But I do see your point. 

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
sc94597 said:

@dsgrue If you were declared as a terrorist, but you were in fact innocent, how would you maintain your innocence without due process? The issue isn't that it happened, but what it means to give congress and the president such power over citizens with only a manipulation of arbitrary terminology to determine those entitled to due process and those who are not entitled.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Until the government abuses the legislation in this manner, I have no issue with it. But I do see your point. 

Given NDAA, warentless wiretapping, and other measures... They're doing a pretty swell job.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
dsgrue3 said:
sc94597 said:

Given NDAA, warentless wiretapping, and other measures... They're doing a pretty swell job.

I meant in regard to the NDAA, not the Patriot Act or any other legislation. 

dsgrue3 said:
mrstickball said:
dsgrue3 said:
sc94597 said:

Look at how they're using all of the other legislation. Its only a matter of time until they start using what's contained in the bills they pass.

mrstickball said:
dsgrue3 said:
mrstickball said:
dsgrue3 said:
sc94597 said:

Look at how they're using all of the other legislation. Its only a matter of time until they start using what's contained in the bills they pass.

Yeah, I understand. I'm not blind to corruption, but killing innocents isn't exactly on the agenda.

The Awlaki incident is special because of certain situations concerning it.

1) He posed an imminent threat.

2) He was fighting alongside an enemy of the United States - Al Queda

3) In the chaos of Yemen, there was no way to arrest him.

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
mrstickball said:

Yeah, I understand. I'm not blind to corruption, but killing innocents isn't exactly on the agenda.

The Awlaki incident is special because of certain situations concerning it.

1) He posed an imminent threat.

2) He was fighting alongside an enemy of the United States - Al Queda

3) In the chaos of Yemen, there was no way to arrest him.

Killing innocents is on the agenda when they're deemed collateral damage from a drone strike, among other things.

dsgrue3 said:
Kasz216 said:
dsgrue3 said:
Kasz216 said:
http://www.infowars.com/myth-busted-yes-the-ndaa-does-apply-to-americans-and-heres-the-text-that-says-so/

"The key to subsection 1021(e) is its claim that sec. 1021 does not “affect existing law or authorities” relating to the detention of persons arrested on U.S. soil. If the President’s expansive view of his own power were in statute, that statement would be true. Instead, the section codifies the President’s view as if it had always existed, authorizing detention of “persons” regardless of citizenship or where they are arrested. It then disingenuously says the bill doesn’t change that view."

It finalizes things that already allowed it, albeit through more temporary measures.

Again, doesn't do anything in regard to US citizens. The key to this is it is now under the purview of the President's Authority to detain people, which previously was not the case.

US citizens are still protected by due process.

Tell that to the American citizen that Obama ordered the assassnation of.  

Which is the point.  The law codifies what is essentially Obama's opinion on what does and doesn't count as due process.

For another example using the other aisle.  If this happened during the Bush presidency with this wording, but was a bill on torture.  The bill would codify in law, Bush's stance that waterboarding is not torture.

LMFAO, Anwar al-awlaki? He was Al Queda, US citizen or not. That is a known terrorist. Justice was served. If you don't want to be killed, don't be or associate with terrorists. Pretty simple.

He was a "terrorist" who as far as anybody could prove only worked for their PR branch.

In otherwords.  He was killed... without trial.  For using his first ammendment right.

There is a reason the ACLU took up his case.

Hell he wasn't even ever indicted for anything.

Kasz216 said:
dsgrue3 said:
Kasz216 said:
dsgrue3 said:
Kasz216 said:
http://www.infowars.com/myth-busted-yes-the-ndaa-does-apply-to-americans-and-heres-the-text-that-says-so/

"The key to subsection 1021(e) is its claim that sec. 1021 does not “affect existing law or authorities” relating to the detention of persons arrested on U.S. soil. If the President’s expansive view of his own power were in statute, that statement would be true. Instead, the section codifies the President’s view as if it had always existed, authorizing detention of “persons” regardless of citizenship or where they are arrested. It then disingenuously says the bill doesn’t change that view."

It finalizes things that already allowed it, albeit through more temporary measures.

Again, doesn't do anything in regard to US citizens. The key to this is it is now under the purview of the President's Authority to detain people, which previously was not the case.

Which is the point.  The law codifies what is essentially Obama's opinion on what does and doesn't count as due process.

For another example using the other aisle.  If this happened during the Bush presidency with this wording, but was a bill on torture.  The bill would codify in law, Bush's stance that waterboarding is not torture.

LMFAO, Anwar al-awlaki? He was Al Queda, US citizen or not. That is a known terrorist. Justice was served. If you don't want to be killed, don't be or associate with terrorists. Pretty simple.

He was a "terrorist" who as far as anybody could prove only worked for their PR branch.

In otherwords.  He was killed... without trial.  For using his first ammendment right.

And failed to prove their case as per my previous post.

Look, again, the NDAA does not allow the President to start murdering civilians without trial. This was a special circumstance wherein trial was not possible. go take some medication, you're all paranoid.

dsgrue3 said:
Kasz216 said:
dsgrue3 said:
Kasz216 said:
dsgrue3 said:
Kasz216 said:

And failed to prove their case as per my previous post.

Look, again, the NDAA does not allow the President to start murdering civilians without trial. This was a special circumstance wherein trial was not possible. go take some medication, you're all paranoid.

So based on that logic we should be sending a drone into france to take out Roman Polanski right?

killerzX said:
the2real4mafol said:

If anything the amount of guns you have should be restricted, as should the amount of ammo available at a single time. i'm personally against gun, but am willing to compromise. Although that NRA guy is a nut

so Bill clinton, and pretty much every democratic politician is nuts too? because suggesting police officers be at schools isnt a new or controversial idea, until now that is. but thats only because the NRA proposed an idea, that pretty much everybody supported in the first place. Bill Clinton suggested this a decade ago.

an even more reasonable and cost effective idea, would be to actually allow teachers not have to shed their rights at the school doors, and allow them to protect themselves, and their students.

remind me again, how having a police officer at a school is nuts?

anyway, how is me having 4 guns any more deadly than me having 1. can i somehow kill 4 timez as manyz people with 4 gunz! as oppossed to 1 gun. What if a guy had 50 gunzz, he could kill like a gazzilion peoplez!!! if i wanted to kill a bunch of people, i wouldnt use a dozens of guns because i cant use them all, I can only use 1 at a time. i would use a max 2 guns, a pistol and a carbine.

and what kind of limit would you put on ammo? because 99% of homocides involving guns, only have one victim, so that means 1 bullet is needed. would you limit it to 10, 100, 1000. how is that going to work. a bad guy only needs 1. but with this, not thought out proposal of yours, you would only harm people like me, who use hundreds of bullets at a time when I go to the range. So unless you want to make my range time suck by limiting me to a bullet or 2, and make purchases an awful and frequent experience, by not allowing me to buy in bulk like i do know, i have like 5000 rounds of ammuntion stored up. im not planning on using that to kill 5000 people.

well maybe they are, because people generally don't want to grow up and live in an armed society. It's not having a police officer at the schools that's nuts, it's the fact that the guy said they need to be armed, that is nuts. Surely, there is a greater risk for injury and mistakes, if you carry a gun around, as much as it's supposed to protect. And who's saying these armed police officers would protect the schools? What if they went mental and started a rampage? People can change easily, if there life is shit.

But i would limit to just 2 magazines of ammo, unless it's proven to be for leisure of any kind.

I'm sure you wouldn't go on a massacre, but how are other people to know? people can go hostile quickly, although most people are generally sane.

i'm just anti-gun and live in a anti-gun country 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018