By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Gun control debate issues that bother me. Will Libertarians and Republicans please address these?

sc94597 said:
richardhutnik said:
sc94597 said:
betacon said:
sc94597 said:
betacon said:

to get a knife licence in Australia,

Holy crap, one needs a license to own (or carry?) a knife in Australia? It does tell me something, but not what it told you. 

Yes you can't cary even a pocketknife into public and to purchase a knife you need a license which you still can't bring into a public area, yes this is over the top "nanny state" both between Australia and America there's middle ground .

The problem is that there is always a "middle ground" It reminds me of Zeno's paradox and how one might seemingly never reach their destination if they keep moving half the distance they moved before, but essentially the sum of the limit of each adds up to a finite number. So with each "compromise" we get closer and closer to that nanny state, and it only remains a nanny state when it's benevolent, otherwise it turns totalitarian. No thank you! I value freedom very much, and invidual liberties are very important for living a "good life" albeit not necessarily a totally safe one. However; these idealisms always lead to dissapointment and often ruin (substantiated by history.) Hence, when it comes to individual liberties there is no compromise which deals with the state's involvement. Compromise must be within the society, which is a separate and distinct entity from the state and which has a different origin and different values. The state is meant to protect our liberties as long as they don't intrude upon the liberties and freedoms of others. Hence, lawful citizens should be able to own what they want. There ARE other solutions, and it is clear with the diversity found among the various states in the U.S, in which many have many guns but few homicides. 

The thing about the "nanny state" argument is that if you live in a society where the citizens can't be trusted to govern themselves voluntarily, and manage to prevent mentally unstable people from getting guns, then the state will have to increasingly babysit the citizens and act like a nanny, for their safety.  Complaining about a "nanny state" and trying to win an argument, doesn't address people's concerns, and does nothing to reduce the shootings, or getting people concerned about them.

Also, I have to ask about the "gun-free school" initiative, and if people here thimnk that parents want to send their kids to schools where there are armed individuals about, and kids can bring their own guns to school.

Yet how can one trust the state when states are much more prone to mass-murder than citizens, as substantiated by history? (Last century 170 million people died by states)

I'm not saying give kids guns, as that was a mistake in our history, even though it was a time when people were far less "worried" about them. However; parents have no choice when kids go to supermarkets or playgrounds or anywhere and there are people concealed carrying, why should they have a choice if the students are with teachers who conceal carry, who are probably the most trustworthy people when it comes to guns. 

Are you going to require teachers carry their own guns with them to school?  If they don't have one, are you going to add the costs of a gun and ammo to the other expenses they have?  Is a prerequisit that teachers MUST have guns before they go?  And if there are substitutes, do they need to carry them also?

And the point of "gun free schools" which is to be blamed for this mess by the NRA, is that it was to keep guns out of the hands of students.

And here is the NRA's approach to guns in schools:

http://wtvr.com/2012/12/21/bonus-read-nras-complete-statement-on-conn-school-shooting/

It looks like the NRA coming up with a solution that would be implemented and funded with federal grants.  Idea of the NRA training people, and armed individuals patrolling the playgrounds, looks like the direction they have.  So, you up for armed individuals connected with the NRA patrolling the playgrounds, perhaps getting federal funding to do so?

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
sc94597 said:
richardhutnik said:
sc94597 said:
betacon said:
sc94597 said:
betacon said:

Are you going to require teachers carry their own guns with them to school?  If they don't have one, are you going to add the costs of a gun and ammo to the other expenses they have?  Is a prerequisit that teachers MUST have guns before they go?  And if there are substitutes, do they need to carry them also?

And the point of "gun free schools" which is to be blamed for this mess by the NRA, is that it was to keep guns out of the hands of students.

http://wtvr.com/2012/12/21/bonus-read-nras-complete-statement-on-conn-school-shooting/

It looks like the NRA coming up with a solution that would be implemented and funded with federal grants.  Idea of the NRA training people, and armed individuals patrolling the playgrounds, looks like the direction they have.  So, you up for armed individuals connected with the NRA patrolling the playgrounds, perhaps getting federal funding to do so?

you asked this stupid question already. and it was adressed already.

noone, no one is suggesting forcing teachers to carry a gun. no one is suggesting the students bring guns. the NRA isnt suggesting teachers or students have guns. others though are suggesting teachers at least be allowed to carry a weapon. it is their choice to do so or not. theirs not yours or mine. if they want to carry they can. if they dont fine. you nor me should or will pay for them. what kind of question is that.

the NRA's plan isnt even their plan, its bill clintons. a plan that wasnt deemed as crazy until now. its a fine plan but it is flawed. the cost would be that flaw. but if local school district and the local communty want an armed and want to pay for it they should. but the armed guard solution should be in conjunction with armed staff. 

MDMAlliance said:
I do not think gun control will FIX the problem, but I think it needs to be addressed because it is too easy to get your hands on one now. Making it harder to get will make the crime harder to commit. The second thing that needs to be done is finding a way to prevent the crime from happening in the first place. However, that is infinitely more difficult that implementing gun control.

I don't know about that, if you don't have a license in my state, the gun shop basically calls the FBI to do a full background check on you, and if you are trying to buy a pistol, you have to wait a week for pick up while they run all your background and FBI checks at the local police department of where you live. If you have a license though, it's like same day everything, but they take your prints and everything when you apply for a license, and that by itself takes about a month. If you want to get a surpressor, you have to apply for that too and that shit takes months and months, same for fully automatic weapons made before 1986, and the tax is really heavy on special permits. No off the street dumb ass will spend like 20-30k USD just so they can do shoot outs at school. Gun control is already there for different states, a lot of people are just oblivious to them.

dahuman said:
MDMAlliance said:
I do not think gun control will FIX the problem, but I think it needs to be addressed because it is too easy to get your hands on one now. Making it harder to get will make the crime harder to commit. The second thing that needs to be done is finding a way to prevent the crime from happening in the first place. However, that is infinitely more difficult that implementing gun control.

I don't know about that, if you don't have a license in my state, the gun shop basically calls the FBI to do a full background check on you, and if you are trying to buy a pistol, you have to wait a week for pick up while they run all your background and FBI checks at the local police department of where you live. If you have a license though, it's like same day everything, but they take your prints and everything when you apply for a license, and that by itself takes about a month. If you want to get a surpressor, you have to apply for that too and that shit takes months and months, same for fully automatic weapons made before 1986, and the tax is really heavy on special permits. No off the street dumb ass will spend like 20-30k USD just so they can do shoot outs at school. Gun control is already there for different states, a lot of people are just oblivious to them.

I know that gun control exists, however the thing is that we have too many guns available that are way too easy to get.  Going around that process is easy enough.  All you need to have is knowledge on where the person who has one is.  

richardhutnik said:
sc94597 said:
richardhutnik said:
sc94597 said:
betacon said:
sc94597 said:
betacon said:

Holy crap, one needs a license to own (or carry?) a knife in Australia? It does tell me something, but not what it told you. 

Yes you can't cary even a pocketknife into public and to purchase a knife you need a license which you still can't bring into a public area, yes this is over the top "nanny state" both between Australia and America there's middle ground .

The problem is that there is always a "middle ground" It reminds me of Zeno's paradox and how one might seemingly never reach their destination if they keep moving half the distance they moved before, but essentially the sum of the limit of each adds up to a finite number. So with each "compromise" we get closer and closer to that nanny state, and it only remains a nanny state when it's benevolent, otherwise it turns totalitarian. No thank you! I value freedom very much, and invidual liberties are very important for living a "good life" albeit not necessarily a totally safe one. However; these idealisms always lead to dissapointment and often ruin (substantiated by history.) Hence, when it comes to individual liberties there is no compromise which deals with the state's involvement. Compromise must be within the society, which is a separate and distinct entity from the state and which has a different origin and different values. The state is meant to protect our liberties as long as they don't intrude upon the liberties and freedoms of others. Hence, lawful citizens should be able to own what they want. There ARE other solutions, and it is clear with the diversity found among the various states in the U.S, in which many have many guns but few homicides. 

The thing about the "nanny state" argument is that if you live in a society where the citizens can't be trusted to govern themselves voluntarily, and manage to prevent mentally unstable people from getting guns, then the state will have to increasingly babysit the citizens and act like a nanny, for their safety.  Complaining about a "nanny state" and trying to win an argument, doesn't address people's concerns, and does nothing to reduce the shootings, or getting people concerned about them.

Also, I have to ask about the "gun-free school" initiative, and if people here thimnk that parents want to send their kids to schools where there are armed individuals about, and kids can bring their own guns to school.

Yet how can one trust the state when states are much more prone to mass-murder than citizens, as substantiated by history? (Last century 170 million people died by states)

I'm not saying give kids guns, as that was a mistake in our history, even though it was a time when people were far less "worried" about them. However; parents have no choice when kids go to supermarkets or playgrounds or anywhere and there are people concealed carrying, why should they have a choice if the students are with teachers who conceal carry, who are probably the most trustworthy people when it comes to guns. 

The important part is still parental education on the issue, if you are going to train your children in how to use a gun, you have to teach them the right ethics and burn that shit into their brains. If they have mental conditions, then as a parent, you need to find them help. We need to stop blaming other things or people for the mistakes that belong to us. Too many people are turning this into an issue due to fear, but fear is in not understanding as our basic instinct until we learn the facts.

Oh and NRA's solution is retarded, they are just playing the game, just like the government is.

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:
dahuman said:
MDMAlliance said:

I know that gun control exists, however the thing is that we have too many guns available that are way too easy to get.  Going around that process is easy enough.  All you need to have is knowledge on where the person who has one is.  

I think that's an ethics issue more than a gun issue though.

richardhutnik said:
sc94597 said:
richardhutnik said:
sc94597 said:
betacon said:
sc94597 said:
betacon said:

Did you you read my freaking post? Nobody is being required to do anything. Less government involvement is the answer, not more. More societal involvement is the answer, not less. And no I don't like the NRA either becuase they're only in the business of "protecting the second amendment" to gain money. A police state isn't the answer. Seriously, read the damn thread you made because you obviously haven't. 

sc94597 said:
richardhutnik said:
sc94597 said:
richardhutnik said:
sc94597 said:
betacon said:
sc94597 said:
betacon said:

Did you you read my freaking post? Nobody is being required to do anything. Less government involvement is the answer, not more. More societal involvement is the answer, not less. And no I don't like the NRA either becuase they're only in the business of "protecting the second amendment" to gain money. A police state isn't the answer. Seriously, read the damn thread you made because you obviously haven't. 

this. people keep citing the NRA as some no compromise 2nd amendment purists. they aren't. sure they are a mostly good organization, that admittedly does a lot to further the protections of our liberties. but not always. they have done numerous things at the federal and at my state to undermine the true intent of the 2nd amendment becuase they got a good deal out of it. 

if you really want to cite/be part of a pro-liberty, pro-constition gun rights orginization. Gun Owners of America is where its at.

Just so you get an idea of what Feinstein is trying to push. Not only semi-automatic weapons but also shotguns and handguns by name, and registration on any banned weapons which one wants to be grandfathered.  So handguns and shotguns which millions own will be treated as machine guns, which are regulated to impossibility. 

Kasz216 said:
http://www.infowars.com/myth-busted-yes-the-ndaa-does-apply-to-americans-and-heres-the-text-that-says-so/

"The key to subsection 1021(e) is its claim that sec. 1021 does not “affect existing law or authorities” relating to the detention of persons arrested on U.S. soil. If the President’s expansive view of his own power were in statute, that statement would be true. Instead, the section codifies the President’s view as if it had always existed, authorizing detention of “persons” regardless of citizenship or where they are arrested. It then disingenuously says the bill doesn’t change that view."

It finalizes things that already allowed it, albeit through more temporary measures.

Again, doesn't do anything in regard to US citizens. The key to this is it is now under the purview of the President's Authority to detain people, which previously was not the case.

US citizens are still protected by due process.