By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Gun control debate issues that bother me. Will Libertarians and Republicans please address these?

i own this thread

Around the Network
nuckles87 said:

Lastly, owning a gun isn't a right, its a priveledge. 

Millions of Americans and the founders disagreed.  It's a right which can be taken away, yes, but its a right nevertheless. To own a gun one does not need permission, nor should one need permission to defend themselves. The constitution tells the federal government what it CAN do. The Bill of Rights is just an explicit notation of inherent rights all people inherently knew about, and even the founding fathers viewed it as redundant, because certainly these things are common sense.  You might disagree that owning a gun enables one to defend themself and therefore falls under the right to life and the right to self-defence; and if you and many others do you can repeal the second amendment. However; the illegal means by which these laws are made, not aligned with the ocnstitution and not fullfilling the appealing process is illegal and treason ( yes, treason) to the oath these officals have made to the U.S Constitution. Go to Nazi Germany, today's Middle East, Stalin Russia, and tell them that guns are not necessary to secure their lives and I'm sure they'd (if given the freedom to do so) would disagree. The man who has the gun has power. 

sc94597 said:
nuckles87 said:

Lastly, owning a gun isn't a right, its a priveledge. 

Millions of Americans and the founders disagreed.  It's a right which can be taken away, yes, but its a right nevertheless. To own a gun one does not need permission, nor should one need permission to defend themselves. The constitution tells the federal government what it CAN do. The Bill of Rights is just an explicit notation of inherent rights all people inherently knew about, and even the founding fathers viewed it as redundant, because certainly these things are common sense.  You might disagree that owning a gun enables one to defend themself and therefore falls under the right to life and the right to self-defence; and if you and many others do you can repeal the second amendment. However; the illegal means by which these laws are made, not aligned with the ocnstitution and not fullfilling the appealing process is illegal and treason ( yes, treason) to the oath these officals have made to the U.S Constitution. Go to Nazi Germany, today's Middle East, Stalin Russia, and tell them that guns are not necessary to secure their lives and I'm sure they'd (if given the freedom to do so) would disagree. The man who has the gun has power. 

i own this htread and i lock it and ban you ya fool and you are the worst troll

nuckles87 said:
killerzX said:

there are age restrictions on owning firearms, there are age restrictions for carrying firearms. there are age restrictions on buying ammunition. there are training requirements for carrying a firearm in public.

You need nothing more than enogh money to buy a car. you dont need a license, a permit, insurance, nothing, no test to pass. just walk in a buy it.

and do you realize how ridiculous pointing out that cars primary purpose isnt to kill but to drive. as that just proves how inneffective guns are at killing, because apparrently their primary purpose is to kill, yet they kill 1/4 of the amount of people as cars do, yet cars arent even designed to kill. and there are more than twice as many guns as there are cars. So a tool not designed to kill, kills 4 times more people than a tool that has over twice as many laying around, and supposedly sole purpose is to kill.

One can only imagine in horror what kind of carnage would ensue if they started making cars with the primary use to kill. 100k, 200k dead, maybe more.

and lastly owning firearms is a RIGHT! not a privledge. 

This has to be....one of the whackiest pro-gun/anti car things I have ever read.

Cars kill far more people then guns because far more people rely on cars then guns then guns for everyday use.

Most people don't use guns to go to work, or catch a movie, or go shopping. They use guns either for killing things, attempting to kill things or (most commonly, I imagine) target practice.

Guns and cars...aren't even comparable, and as assault/homicide devices, cars are far less versatile and far more unweildy then pretty much any other implement of death you could choose. Sure, you can kill someone with a car, but you better hope they don't....I don't know, jump out of the way, run into a building or an alley or any of the numerous other places where a car just can't go. Cars can kill, sure, but they aren't really the most effective means of mass murder. You cite that "guns only kill a quarter of the people that guns do", but there is one key thing you are leaving out: the vast majority of those deaths are vehicle ACCIDENTS. People aren't using cars to rob convenience stores. They aren't using them to mowdown people in movie theatres or Sikh temples. They aren't using them in mass vehicular homicides. Hell, go ahead, look them up. I just did, and I couldn't even find statistics for how many people a year a purposefully killed by cars, because its just not a common means of murder. It happens, sure, but guns are still the preferred weapon because they are just better at murder then cars are. Indeed, the same can be said for most weapons. Knives? I looked up mass knifings, and the thing that kept coming up was a serious of mass knifings in China, committed mostly against children. The highest death toll from these knifings? Eight. Thats on the lean side for a US mass killing.

Bombs are about the only other weapon aside from guns that are seriously effective at mass murder, but even they have their issues. You can't hold up a convienience store with a bomb. Utilizing bombs effectively in murder, especially if you have certain targets in mind, requires forethought and planning. You either have to be able to plant the bombs ahead of time where you know people will gather, or you have to go in like a suicide bomber and blow yourself up once your content with the number of people around you. In other words, you can't go on a rampage across an area ala Virginia Tech and Sandyhook.

In the end though, I see people say "well if they didn't use guns, they'd just use something else", I can't help but think....then why don't they use something else? Why don't we have people using cars to commit mass murder? Why don't we have anyone choosing knives to commit mass murder instead? I mean, knives are FAR more common then guns. I don't have a gun, but I have several knives I could use to attempt a mass killing in my kitchen. Then there's bombs, which you can download blue prints of on the internet and build using items that can be legally bought. Yet we haven't been getting very many reports of mass bombings either, despite the fact that, unlike guns or cars, bombs could actually be pretty effective, if used right.

Time and time again though, the weapon of choice has been guns, and I think the answer why is pretty simple: guns are far more versatile and far more deadly then any other weapon. Get a gun with a large enough clip and you can drop a dozen people without even needing to stop to reload. You aren't limited to a certain blast radius, you aren't forced to blow yourself up. You aren't limited to a road or parking lot. You can do it in doors, out doors, and you've got plenty of range. There's a reason the phrase "don't bring a knife to a gun fight" exists. It's because the world isn't an anime, and guns trump knives, and indeed most weapons, every single time.

Lastly, owning a gun isn't a right, its a priveledge. One that should only be granted to responsible, sane citizens like you and me. There are certain people who aren't allowed to drive. There are also certain people who shouldn't own guns. Like the psychos who have been shooting up malls, schools, sikh temples and movie theatres over the last year. There are also certain guns that we just shouldn't own, such as assault weapons and thirty round clips.

i guess my jesting manner flew way over your head.

also you used the term 'clip', that alone makes your argument invalide, and wrong. People who are going to argue against something, at least have the decency to know what the hell you are talking about.

also please google Bill of RIGHTS

Around the Network
killerzX said:
nuckles87 said:
killerzX said:

there are age restrictions on owning firearms, there are age restrictions for carrying firearms. there are age restrictions on buying ammunition. there are training requirements for carrying a firearm in public.

You need nothing more than enogh money to buy a car. you dont need a license, a permit, insurance, nothing, no test to pass. just walk in a buy it.

and do you realize how ridiculous pointing out that cars primary purpose isnt to kill but to drive. as that just proves how inneffective guns are at killing, because apparrently their primary purpose is to kill, yet they kill 1/4 of the amount of people as cars do, yet cars arent even designed to kill. and there are more than twice as many guns as there are cars. So a tool not designed to kill, kills 4 times more people than a tool that has over twice as many laying around, and supposedly sole purpose is to kill.

One can only imagine in horror what kind of carnage would ensue if they started making cars with the primary use to kill. 100k, 200k dead, maybe more.

and lastly owning firearms is a RIGHT! not a privledge. 

This has to be....one of the whackiest pro-gun/anti car things I have ever read.

Cars kill far more people then guns because far more people rely on cars then guns then guns for everyday use.

Most people don't use guns to go to work, or catch a movie, or go shopping. They use guns either for killing things, attempting to kill things or (most commonly, I imagine) target practice.

Guns and cars...aren't even comparable, and as assault/homicide devices, cars are far less versatile and far more unweildy then pretty much any other implement of death you could choose. Sure, you can kill someone with a car, but you better hope they don't....I don't know, jump out of the way, run into a building or an alley or any of the numerous other places where a car just can't go. Cars can kill, sure, but they aren't really the most effective means of mass murder. You cite that "guns only kill a quarter of the people that guns do", but there is one key thing you are leaving out: the vast majority of those deaths are vehicle ACCIDENTS. People aren't using cars to rob convenience stores. They aren't using them to mowdown people in movie theatres or Sikh temples. They aren't using them in mass vehicular homicides. Hell, go ahead, look them up. I just did, and I couldn't even find statistics for how many people a year a purposefully killed by cars, because its just not a common means of murder. It happens, sure, but guns are still the preferred weapon because they are just better at murder then cars are. Indeed, the same can be said for most weapons. Knives? I looked up mass knifings, and the thing that kept coming up was a serious of mass knifings in China, committed mostly against children. The highest death toll from these knifings? Eight. Thats on the lean side for a US mass killing.

Bombs are about the only other weapon aside from guns that are seriously effective at mass murder, but even they have their issues. You can't hold up a convienience store with a bomb. Utilizing bombs effectively in murder, especially if you have certain targets in mind, requires forethought and planning. You either have to be able to plant the bombs ahead of time where you know people will gather, or you have to go in like a suicide bomber and blow yourself up once your content with the number of people around you. In other words, you can't go on a rampage across an area ala Virginia Tech and Sandyhook.

In the end though, I see people say "well if they didn't use guns, they'd just use something else", I can't help but think....then why don't they use something else? Why don't we have people using cars to commit mass murder? Why don't we have anyone choosing knives to commit mass murder instead? I mean, knives are FAR more common then guns. I don't have a gun, but I have several knives I could use to attempt a mass killing in my kitchen. Then there's bombs, which you can download blue prints of on the internet and build using items that can be legally bought. Yet we haven't been getting very many reports of mass bombings either, despite the fact that, unlike guns or cars, bombs could actually be pretty effective, if used right.

Time and time again though, the weapon of choice has been guns, and I think the answer why is pretty simple: guns are far more versatile and far more deadly then any other weapon. Get a gun with a large enough clip and you can drop a dozen people without even needing to stop to reload. You aren't limited to a certain blast radius, you aren't forced to blow yourself up. You aren't limited to a road or parking lot. You can do it in doors, out doors, and you've got plenty of range. There's a reason the phrase "don't bring a knife to a gun fight" exists. It's because the world isn't an anime, and guns trump knives, and indeed most weapons, every single time.

Lastly, owning a gun isn't a right, its a priveledge. One that should only be granted to responsible, sane citizens like you and me. There are certain people who aren't allowed to drive. There are also certain people who shouldn't own guns. Like the psychos who have been shooting up malls, schools, sikh temples and movie theatres over the last year. There are also certain guns that we just shouldn't own, such as assault weapons and thirty round clips.

also you used the term 'clip', that alone makes your argument invalide, and wrong. People who are going to argue against something, at least have the decency to know what the hell you are talking about.

You said the word "invailde" making your argument invalid and wrong. People who argue for something should to use real words.

Since I hate it when people use that as an argument, I would just like the point out that I'm joking there. I don't need to use the right terminology to be able to present facts like guns being the weapon of choice for mass murder in America . But yes, your jesting flew right over my head, because I've seen people use that as a genuine argument.

I googled to second amendment while I was writing that. Pretty sure that's close enough.

nuckles87 said:
killerzX said:
nuckles87 said:
killerzX said:

You said the word "invailde" making your argument invalid and wrong. People who argue for something should to use real words.

Since I hate it when people use that as an argument, I would just like the point out that I'm joking there. I don't need to use the right terminology to be able to present facts like guns being the weapon of choice for mass murder in America . But yes, your jesting flew right over my head, because I've seen people use that as a genuine argument.

I googled to second amendment while I was writing that. Pretty sure that's close enough.

sorry my finger hit the 'E' key at the same time as the 'D'.

however, that doesnt excuse your ignorance on a topic that your have clearly demonstated you know nothing about. throughing around terms like high capacity clips assualt weapons and the like are not ways to be taken very seriously when it comes to the topic of gun control.

it puts you in line with these people.

I don't need to use the term "clips" properly to read a graph or chart that shows that the United States has a far higher violent crime rate then most other countries with better gun control laws or conscription (keep in mind I saaid most, not all, as I'm sure some exceptions exist). I do not need to use the term "clips" properly to know that, during the Tuscon shooting it was not an armed person (who was among the people in the crowd) who stopped the gunman, but rather several people who tackled the shooter when he had to reload after firing 30 bullets and shooting 19 people. Your argument here is a cop out and nothing more. And speaking of copping out, thats something I unfortunately need to do here.

This was all I was actually planning to write here. I found both sides of the argument in this thread to be rather extreme and disgusting, so I haven't really read much of it. As I am late for something else I was going to do, I'll end with this.

I'm finding this thread very difficult to read through. I'm beginning to question why I come to this forum to look at these kinds of discussions.

A "total gun ban" is stupid and unrealistic. Guns are too ingrained in our culture. We need them for hunting. Many people rely on them for a feeling of security in the home. Many people use them for recreation. Guns are weapons, but they are also tools, and tools shouldn't be banned, regardless of how even the staunchest anti gun advocates interpret the second amendment. I do believe guns are considered a priveledge, because a right is something you shouldn't be denied under any circumstances, and there are certainly certain people out there who should be denied guns, due to their inherently deadly nature.

That being said, saying that "we shouldn't legislate because we don't have that many mass shootings a year" is utterly disgusting, and doesn't even properly understand the problem. We don't lose 5-10 people a year to mass shootings. We lose over 55. That's 385 people since the assault weapons ban expired. Australia only needed one mass shooting to get its act to get its act together, and its all the better for it.

http://www.kieranhealy.org/files/misc/assault-deaths-oecd-ts-all.png

This is a chart of assault deaths in OECD countries, minus Mexico (which has a major gun issue largely thanks to us) and Estonia. I don't know the individual gun laws of each of these countries, but from what I know MOST of these countries either have stricter gun laws or a conscription service that requires all men to serve in the military. Clearly, these countries are doing something right in regards to violent crime that we have not gotten yet.

And frankly, this strange submission that there is "absolutely nothing we can do" to stop these mass shootings is absolute bunk. No law is perfect, some criminals will find ways to get their hands on lethal weapons, but its a matter of fact that making these weapons more difficult or impossible to get can reduce these kinds of incidents:

http://election.princeton.edu/2012/12/14/did-the-federal-ban-on-assault-weapons-matter/

The amount of damage you can do with a ten clip pistol is less then what you can do with a 30 clip pistol. Or an assault weapon. The assault weapons ban did very little to prevent smaller shootings, but the much larger shootings, such as the sort that occurred at Newton, Tuscon, Aurora and Oak Creek, were far fewer under this law. They weren't completely eliminated, but there were far fewer, and THAT is what's important.

I'll leave off with this: Australia is a perfect example of how effective good gun control laws should be.

"Australia has much in common with the United States. It was initially settled by teeming masses — in its case, largely convicts — fleeing England. Its identity was forged in the populating of its vast, empty spaces. And today it retains a considerable frontier mentality, and a considerable amount of ranching and hunting.

But the similarities end when it comes to guns. While gun ownership has been a part of Australians’ way of life, they have a much more utilitarian view of their purpose.

So, when a gunman killed 35 people in 1996 with a semiautomatic rifle in the tourist town of Port Arthur, on the island of Tasmania, the Australian people decided it was time for a change.

A new law, backed by a conservative prime minister, divided firearms into five categories. Some of the deadliest assault-style weapons and large ammunition clips are now all but impossible for individuals to lawfully own.

Firearms are subject to a strict permitting process, and dealers are required to record sales, which are tracked by the national and territorial governments. What’s more, the law encouraged people to sell their firearms back to the government, which purchased and destroyed about 700,000 of them.

The results are hard to argue with. According to a Harvard University study, 13 gun massacres (in which four or more people died) occurred in the 18 years before the law was enacted. In the 16 years since there has been none. Zero.

The overall firearm homicide rate dropped from 0.43 per 100,000 in the seven years before the law to 0.25 in the seven years after. By 2009, the rate had dropped further, to just 0.1 per 100,000, or one per million.

In the USA, the 2009 firearm homicide rate was 3.3 per 100,000, some 33 times higher than Australia’s.

There are, to be sure, some significant differences between Australia and the United States. Australia has 3million guns; America has roughly 300 million. The U.S. has greater constitutional protections for keeping and bearing arms. And the gun lobby in Australia is nowhere near as powerful as the National Rifle Association is in the U.S.

But the Australian experience demonstrates what can be accomplished if a people gets serious about gun violence.

The key is not merely to adopt new gun laws, but to undergo a cultural shift. Similar shifts have occurred around such issues as smoking and excessive drinking, especially when driving is involved.

The early signs are that the massacre in Newtown, Conn., will cause a significant push for tighter gun restrictions, which the White House endorsed on Tuesday.

As the debate takes shape in coming weeks, lawmakers would do well to focus on the successes in Australia. That country has shown how tighter gun laws, and sensible attitudes about the role of guns in society, can make a real difference.

We could learn much from our friends down under."

http://www.sheboyganpress.com/article/20121221/SHE06/312210143/Editorial-Australian-gun-control-holds-lessons-U-S-?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

I support gun ownership. Its a part of American culture and its impractical to take it away. That being said, I also support looking at what other countries are doing, taking what works, and applying it to the US. Gun control seems to work, and at the very least doesn't seem to have adverse effects. We can limit the kinds of guns and weapons sold and who they are sold to without breaking the second amendment. We shouldn't ban all guns. But we should ban, or at least restrict, some.

nuckles87 said:

The amount of damage you can do with a ten clip pistol is less then what you can do with a 30 clip pistol. Or an assault weapon. The assault weapons ban did very little to prevent smaller shootings, but the much larger shootings, such as the sort that occurred at Newton, Tuscon, Aurora and Oak Creek, were far fewer under this law. They weren't completely eliminated, but there were far fewer, and THAT is what's important.

Um what about columbine? What about the Oklahoma Bombing (second largest terrorist attack and largest domestic terrorist attack - babies died in this?) More people died from homocide between 1994-2004 than have died since. Our homicide rate has been steadily decreasing without any assault weapon ban, and no there weren't any fewer they were just less well known (with the exception of the two I mentioned.) 

Kasz216 said:
snyps said:

HappySqurriel said:

people might say guns people want guns they will get them use they will but people that do this mass shooting are normally your average joe and wouldn’t have connection to get these weapons illegally.

These shootings are done by ppl under psychiatric council..  Full of psychiatric drugs..  Not your normal joes.  They ought to be in looney bins. 

I had a best friend growing up in junior high.. I went back to visit after been grown up only to find that he had been diagnosed with schizophrenia.  AND that he went off his meds and slashed up his neighbors with a kitchen knife.  Why does no one ask for looney bins???  I think it's because the sheep do what the news tels you.  I'm no sheep Im a snake.  Don't tread on me.

It was ruled that Americans have the right to refuse medical treatment.  Which means that in general you can't comit someone until after they've committed a serious crime.

It's also the majority of the US's persistant homelessness problem.  People too mentally sick to hold a job or even apply and get all the government aid they'd need to survive, but who refuse to get treatment and stay at centers.

That's good to know.  I actually believe they should refuse treatment.  I actually believe the drugs create these killers and aren't a solution.  All these mass murders are all the proof anyone needs.  My proposed solution is two fold.

1.  Ppl with severe mental disorders be placed in settings that are pleasing to their condition. No drugs.  And be given reviews so they have the chance of being released.

2.  Americans obey the dick act of 1902. http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=81315 proper traing and responsibility for lawful citizens.

Its not perfect and could use refinement but it's better than giving gun sales to the black market (prohibition)