By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Handheld market still alive, 3DS sales are amazing.

Solid-Stark said:
Sure it's still alive, but there won't be room for dedicated handhelds in the near future. (Perhaps next gen)

3DS is set to sell less than DS (Half?) and the Vita is set to sell considerably a lot less than the PSP (Sony's last handheld console).

Smartphone and Tablet App games and gaming will take over.

I'm willing to bet it would be half or more, not less than half.  Let's approximate DS sales to be around 150 million.  75m is half of that.  The 3DS hasn't been out for two full years yet, and it's already approaching 25m sold (a third of 75m).  Not EVEN two years, and its strongest year most likely hasn't been seen yet with Pokemon, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, and some other popular Nintendo IP's to come.  I believe the 3DS would have at least 5-6 years before it stops selling.  Monster Hunter 4 and Dragon Quest 7 will definitely push sales of the 3DS in Japan (and if localized, in the west as well).  I would bet you that the 3DS will sell more than half of the DS.

Around the Network

MDMAlliance said:

Solid-Stark said:
Sure it's still alive, but there won't be room for dedicated handhelds in the near future. (Perhaps next gen)

3DS is set to sell less than DS (Half?) and the Vita is set to sell considerably a lot less than the PSP (Sony's last handheld console).

Smartphone and Tablet App games and gaming will take over.

I'm willing to bet it would be half or more, not less than half.  Let's approximate DS sales to be around 150 million.  75m is half of that.  The 3DS hasn't been out for two full years yet, and it's already approaching 25m sold (a third of 75m).  Not EVEN two years, and its strongest year most likely hasn't been seen yet with Pokemon, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, and some other popular Nintendo IP's to come.  I believe the 3DS would have at least 5-6 years before it stops selling.  Monster Hunter 4 and Dragon Quest 7 will definitely push sales of the 3DS in Japan (and if localized, in the west as well).  I would bet you that the 3DS will sell more than half of the DS.

↓↓Tbone↓↓

Thank you, I fully agree we have only 3 Titles that have long legs (4 if AC counts but not out WW yet) and for some crazy reason i think Luigi mansion can sell over 5mil! The other titles you mention are gonna blow the YoY for 3DS especially Pokemon gen 6 and SSB (we freaking never had a portable and by the time this game comes out we should have over 40mil user base!)

People are underestimate this system! At least in a few years lookin back on this we'll say we told ya so lol

kitler53 said:
3DS is going to end its second year down YoY despite not being on the market a full year in 2011. the dedicated handheld market is still alive but it is far from amazing which is especially true when you look anywhere that isn't japan.

the days for dedicated handhelds are numbered.

Exactly, the 3DS should be ecperiencing amazing growth right now, with the good support and decent price point. The Vita is just the precursor, the handheld market is fading away slowly but certainly and the 3DS will be shortlived compared to the DS and come no where near in lifetime sales (might have to settle for half or even less when all is said and done).

Teriol said:
VGKing said:
Argh_College said:

Damn i really thought handhelds would have there days counted but 3DS is a beast and i think Nintendo will stay on the Handheld business by quite some time but it will compete alone there, well it will compete agaisnt SmartPhone but lets be realistic here:

. 3DS is a BEAST and it dominates Japan.

Contradiction. Unless you are saying the DS will compete with the 3DS?

I don't see Sony leaving the handheld market. As bad as Vita sales are, it'll be profitable eventually and those 3.7m Vita sales are in fact sales that could have gone to the 3DS......Vita wont' be discontinued. There's no reason for it to be.

vgpach.. opps!! Vgking beware remember the things you say tend to have a contrary efect in the real world.

WTF are you talking about? REPORTED.

Wyrdness said:
VGKing said:
Argh_College said:

Damn i really thought handhelds would have there days counted but 3DS is a beast and i think Nintendo will stay on the Handheld business by quite some time but it will compete alone there, well it will compete agaisnt SmartPhone but lets be realistic here:

I don't see Sony leaving the handheld market. As bad as Vita sales are, it'll be profitable eventually and those 3.7m Vita sales are in fact sales that could have gone to the 3DS......Vita wont' be discontinued. There's no reason for it to be.

Flawed I own a Vita and a 3DS so Vita sales aren't necessarily lost 3DS sales, as a Vita owner the fact that the platform is struggling is plenty reason to discount even if some people want to remain blind to it, the's no saviour here for Vita coming from anywhere else but Sony themselves and them not discounting it will further hurt the platform. Could care less about how much the tech costs them because that was their own choice and the should of been an immediate plan B incase things didn't go to plan, Vita maybe more powerful and good tech like it's predecessor was at it's time but it hasn't retained the situational advantages and things are only going to get worse over the next few years if Sony doesn't step in.

That money you spend on the Vita could have been spent on 3DS games or something. So yeah, those are lost 3DS sales. If Vita wasn't available would you have bought the 3DS XL? Maybe, right? The fact is that these 2 are competing for your money. 

Around the Network
VGKing said:

That money you spend on the Vita could have been spent on 3DS games or something. So yeah, those are lost 3DS sales. If Vita wasn't available would you have bought the 3DS XL? Maybe, right? The fact is that these 2 are competing for your money. 

That's flawed argument because eventually I'm still going to be buying 3DS games I like and interested in even with a Vita, even more so because Vita is not releasing much to pull my attention away from the 3DS. it's like saying Dreamcast sales are lost PS2 sales when it's far from the case, owning a Vita is not going to stop me buying MH4, DQVII, Animal Crossing and so on, as it goes I had all the 3DS games I wanted at the time had some spare cash and wanted to get Gravity Rush. It even helped that Amazon were doing a special offer that weekend so in a way Amazon sold it too me more then Sony did.

Vita is the best bit of hardware to ever hit the handheld market but because of how it's being handled it's falling way short of the competition as a handheld.

VGKing said:
Teriol said:
VGKing said:
Argh_College said:

vgpach.. opps!! Vgking beware remember the things you say tend to have a contrary efect in the real world.

WTF are you talking about? REPORTED.

LOL

34 years playing games.

↓↓↓TBONE51↓↓↓

Halfway, there are out of the 4mil vita users that will never own a nintendo system, same can be said other way around so the 100% Sony only users might be (i believe) over a mil that own the vita so there is no lost to 3DS.

But the number shouldn't be so high but the other way around is more understandable (Nintendo 3DS owners didn't buy Vita). Once a price cut comes (or whatever sony decides to do) they sales will increase alot. As for 3DS it will barely be over YoY and hopefully next year they'll put their killer games to boost sales over 20mil

Wyrdness said:
VGKing said:

That's flawed argument because eventually I'm still going to be buying 3DS games I like and interested in even with a Vita, even more so because Vita is not releasing much to pull my attention away from the 3DS. it's like saying Dreamcast sales are lost PS2 sales when it's far from the case, owning a Vita is not going to stop me buying MH4, DQVII, Animal Crossing and so on, as it goes I had all the 3DS games I wanted at the time had some spare cash and wanted to get Gravity Rush. It even helped that Amazon were doing a special offer that weekend so in a way Amazon sold it too me more then Sony did.

Vita is the best bit of hardware to ever hit the handheld market but because of how it's being handled it's falling way short of the competition as a handheld.

Any money you spend on Vita is money you could have spent on 3DS(and vice versa). Not only that, but they are also competing for your time. It's one of the reason why I only stick to 1 console these days, I have very limited time to play games and if I owned all the consoles it would feel more like work than "play time".

tbone51 said:

↓↓↓TBONE51↓↓↓

Halfway, there are out of the 4mil vita users that will never own a nintendo system, same can be said other way around so the 100% Sony only users might be (i believe) over a mil that own the vita so there is no lost to 3DS.

But the number shouldn't be so high but the other way around is more understandable (Nintendo 3DS owners didn't buy Vita). Once a price cut comes (or whatever sony decides to do) they sales will increase alot. As for 3DS it will barely be over YoY and hopefully next year they'll put their killer games to boost sales over 20mil

People who are looking for a portable game system will look at the 3DS and Vita. When you choose one to buy, that's a lost sale to the other one.

Now, I'm not saying the Vita is killing the 3DS, the amount of people who have chosen a Vita over 3DS is obviously VERY SMALL, but still it is worth noting. No need to get so defensive.