By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 hits 30 million lifetime sales across PAL regions

It is very clear this announcement makes it seem that Vgchartz is either overtracking in Europe or other Territories. But honestly we need to wait for the next shipment numbers before we know if the WW numbers are right or wrong, and even then it's possible we won't know for certain, unless shipment numbers are lower than sellthrough or something crazy like that.

Around the Network

ok just checked, last year on 25th august they said 22 million sold in europe (not sure if europe or europe+pal and no clue if shipped or to customers)

our numbers only for europe

8th december 2012: 27,549,976

13th august 2011: 20,227,783

so, when sony said pal and europe 30m+ we have ~2,450,000 less for euope and last year we had ~1,800,000 less for europe as they said (but like i said, no clue if it was also sold to customers last year and if only euope or also rest of pal)

Sony doesn't cover all PAL territories. So bringing up a list of all pal territories is misleading.

That being said it probably covers most and just by looking at europe and australia numbers alone i would say the region is overtracked slighly. Its a bit strange though given VGC total hardware sales are pretty much in line with total shipments numbers that were last given by Sony.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Can't be bothered to play overtracked or undertracked today, so I'll just say: Congrats on the milestone.

Why do we need to argue if VGCHARTZ overtrack and undertrack? The fact is PS3 reached 30m mark in Europe and other PAL regions. It is a milestone considering PS3 were launched in 2007 and it only took 5 years.

I expect one day MS Europe can announce the same milestone for XBOX360 outside of USA.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
postofficebuddy said:
You people do realize that France isn't PAL, correct?

You do know its in Europe right?

He is right. france uses SECAM:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't realize that Sony explicitly included Europe.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

zhao3gold said:
Why do we need to argue if VGCHARTZ overtrack and undertrack? The fact is PS3 reached 30m mark in Europe and other PAL regions. It is a milestone considering PS3 were launched in 2007 and it only took 5 years.

I expect one day MS Europe can announce the same milestone for XBOX360 outside of USA.

we talk about over- or undertracked because vgchartz is a sales site, pretty simple or not?

zhao3gold said:
To Kowen:

You don't need to quesiton my love on 360. I expect 360 to be the best selling console as well in Europe, but it just doesn't happen.

If you compare 360 with first gen XBOX, yes, it is a big progress. Nobody will deny it. But comparing to PS3, I think it is not enough. MS Europe didn't find a good way to convince most of gamers in Mainland Europe to choose 360 as their preferred home console. I know it is not easy because Playstation brand is so popular and so dominant here. But MS Europe must overcome this issue, otherwise, XBOX brand will never have chance to beat Playstation in the near future.

I disagree. MS directly cut into Sony's marketshare this gen, since the wii catered to an almost entirely different market.

They really brought the fight to Sony in all regions. People seem to think Sony is extremely strong in non US/UK regions but they don't seem to realise the inroads MS has made into those markets.

I look at my own region (South Africa) one of the PAL regions might I add. And XBO360 shares equal shelf space as PS3. Not only that but the whole 360/PS3 fanboy war was rife here as well. Previous generations was complete dominance for Sony and Playstation. Complete dominance. The xbox brand was non existant i dont think it even came to SA. But they are massive here now.

Don't get me wrong though, PS3 is still seen as the market leader here between the HD consoles....but I would imagine the same thing happend in other regions all over the world.

So in reply to your post I would say MS is on the right track. Who knows what will happen next gen? They might even steal more of that marketshare.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Nsanity said:
zhao3gold said:
To Kowen:

You don't need to quesiton my love on 360. I expect 360 to be the best selling console as well in Europe, but it just doesn't happen.

If you compare 360 with first gen XBOX, yes, it is a big progress. Nobody will deny it. But comparing to PS3, I think it is not enough. MS Europe didn't find a good way to convince most of gamers in Mainland Europe to choose 360 as their preferred home console. I know it is not easy because Playstation brand is so popular and so dominant here. But MS Europe must overcome this issue, otherwise, XBOX brand will never have chance to beat Playstation in the near future.

Thats Microsofts problem not yours.

Worlds dumbest post.

Shinobi-san said:
Nsanity said:
zhao3gold said:
To Kowen:

Thats Microsofts problem not yours.

Worlds dumbest post.

Do i get an award?