By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Was the Moon Landing the Most Badass Event in American History?

outlawauron said:
Mr Khan said:
outlawauron said:
the_dengle said:
hatmoza said:
The moon landing was a hoax *puts on tinfoil hat*.

I would have to say, with my limited knowledge of American history, that the civil war and the emancipation were the most badass moments.

I would agree if the Civil War wasn't also one of the most disgraceful events in American history. When you think about it, half our country was fighting to keep slavery.

Oh God, this statement makes me sick to my stomach to the point of wanting to vomit.

While it is more complex than that, that's what the bulk of it boils down to. The South was fighting to preserve its economic way of life (for there were other concerns, such as tariffs that favored New England factories versus European competitors), but slavery was the cornerstone of the South's Latin-American-esque (versus the North's European-esque) lifestyle, and so was the primary motive for fighting.

The primary motive of fighting was the North's desire to continue the Union. Slavery only became an issue in the war two years after it had already and was in name only. No one was ever saved or freed until the 13th Amendment. Lincoln was never a proponent of racial equality or anything similar. While slavery was a motivator for secession, it wasn't the cornerstone of it. You still had 4 slave states fight against the Confederacy (once again, during the war and afterwards, slavery was permitted until the 13th amendment). It's truly a shame that so many had to die to reach an ending that would have happened very soon regardless.

Bolded the good part.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:

No, the most badass event in American History will be the successful colonization of Gamma Ceti V in 2147!  People thought the Lunar and Martian colonies were badass.  pfft....

80 light years in 6 hours!?!?!?  How is that not impressively badass?

The only thing better was the invention of the time machine in 3592.  The announcement of it in Popular Science just completely floored the world.  Well, I don't know that yet!  I have to get back and contact Popular Science magazine to let them know it works!

And people laugh about Palo Alto Junior College's physics program!

I believe you, because you have a doctor who avi, so you must be telling the truth since you've seen it!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

SvennoJ said:

The near extinction of the Buffalo is pretty badass. Forcing an entire population to leave by killing off their source of existence.

After 1850, as the American-Indian war neared its climax, United States soldiers began to slaughter the animals indiscriminately to force the Indians to leave their homelands. With the advent of the railroad the killing of the bison became a sport. Travelers would shoot from railroad carriages, leaving the carcases to rot by the tracks. In less than 50 years about 50 million buffalo had been exterminated.

But if you're looking for something positive, then the moon landing it is.

And after everything people still call them Indians. The Insult will never end. 

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Paul said:
America has had many bad ass events. The moon landing is definitely up there. it's a real shame they don't invest in the space program as much anymore and science in general.

Particularly when one compares DoD funding compared to say NASA funding. But... one has the capacity for profiteering and is used primarily for securing limited global resources and the other is largely limited to increasing scientific knowledge. Until the latter becomes a legitimate profit producing entity, it's a much harder sell than the former. 

And yes, the first lunar landing may well be the greatest human achievement to date, perhaps only second to artificially inducing nuclear fusion.

Now if sustained, controlled nuclear fusion can be achieved, that may take the prize as the greatest human achievement in the history of human civilization.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
hatmoza said:
The moon landing was a hoax *puts on tinfoil hat*.

I would have to say, with my limited knowledge of American history, that the civil war and the emancipation were the most badass moments.

I would agree if the Civil War wasn't also one of the most disgraceful events in American history. When you think about it, half our country was fighting to keep slavery.

Slavery wasn't main reason for fighting Civil War.

Not sure at all how landing on the moon is "badass"

Great scientific accomplishment, yes. Badass? Not in the slightest.

That would be like calling a Segway badass.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Nah it would have to be America beating Britain to gain our independence.

No seriouisly was this even happening? I mean just think about it you and your communist rival fight for  what is the dominant most powerful nation on the planet.

And coincidantly there is something you have called HOLLYWOOD. And since a country has like unlimited amount of money plus movie experts etc. It would be easier to fake the whole thing than to bring people to the moon.

Saying it was a hoax is as much a conspiracy as saying it was real.

and back to the topic    the most badass thing in american history is the bill of rights and the constitution (which right now is down in some dark place where no one can see it  and thats why shit is happening...)

JazzB1987 said:

No seriouisly was this even happening? I mean just think about it you and your communist rival fight for  what is the dominant most powerful nation on the planet.

And coincidantly there is something you have called HOLLYWOOD. And since a country has like unlimited amount of money plus movie experts etc. It would be easier to fake the whole thing than to bring people to the moon.

Saying it was a hoax is as much a conspiracy as saying it was real.

and back to the topic    the most badass thing in american history is the bill of rights and the constitution (which right now is down in some dark place where no one can see it  and thats why shit is happening...)

That would be your answer right there.

The way things were back then and the Soviet-Union and America keeping close watch on each other, monitoring starts and comunications, tracking each others space modules...

Do you honestly believe that the Soviet-Union would not have jumped on that perfect opportunity to ridicule their rival, if there had been the shadow of a doubt that the American manned moon landing had not happened?

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’