By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The Credibility of VGChartz

Carl2291 said:
The numbers were 70 Million as of Nov 4th. We dont know if this contains Holiday bundles/shipments, or how msny of them.

68M for PS3 at the end of September is actually quite possible. It matches previous Years trends for supply, for example. You could probably give/take 100/200k from the totals but shipping/producing 1.8-2 Million PS3s ready for the Holidays throughout October wouldnt be that surprising.

It was selling over 200k every Week and there was also the AC3 bundles and Xillia 2 bundle too, however many there were.

Between Sept 30th and Nov 3rd, Sony sold ~1.3 Million PS3s, so I dont think shipping 1.8 to 2 Million in the same time-frame with the busiest Months yet to come is that odd. Is it?

Well let me ask you how many do you think Sony is going to ship in the 4th quarter? In my opnion they will ship about 5.5 million units. So shipping more than a 1/3 of the units in the slowest month of the quarter is odd to me. It doesn't make sense to sell more ship less for December. It makes more sense to increase shipments as sales start to increase. So more like 1.1million for october, 2.2 million for November and 2.2 million for December.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Carl2291 said:

Still obscure. First of all they are using revenue to measure this number. They say HW and SW to PSP and PS3. SW never sold well enough on the PSP to mak a dent so I assume that is target towards the Ps3. Ontop of that the PSP has shown massive HW drops while only shipping 900k in Sony's Jan-March numbers so I doubt they got anywhere near those 1.8 million shipped from last years April - June quarter so I'd think the HW numbers more targetted to the PSP. Shipped trends show the Ps3 pretty even. Wouldnt make sense for the Ps3 to sharply decline  while the Ps2 sharply increases. Include the fact that Sony shipped 70 million ps3's in Oct that would mean they woud had to of shipped damn near 2 million in that single month

Theyre saying hardware and software are down for PSP and PS3. I think thats pretty clear and it matches what we know about PS3 being down YoY on VGC, NPD, NintyCharts and MC/Famitsu.

1.7 Million isnt down sharply from 1.8 Million. While PS2 would be down YoY for the Quarter by 300k if it had sold 1.1 Million.

EDIT - And PS3 @ 70M shipped was announced in November. Which is 3 Months after the August Quarterly report.

It was announced in November for numbers in October. But using the numbers you agreed with would mean that Ps3 had 68mil shipped in September. Which would mean 2 million in October. Considering I expect about 5.5 million in 4th quarter I don't think it makes sense to ship that many in October

November 16th for numbers to November 4th.  But it really means not much at that time of the year.  Shipments are huge and constant at that time.  We shall see when the release comes in December.  Little point in specualating.

When the release does come everyone will speculate the Ps2 sold 50 million units while the Ps3 only sold 2 million units for the quarters... even though last year Sony only shipped 900k Ps2 units... However, you and carl both think they shipped more than that in April - June and again in July - September... Yet only shipped 1.5 million during Oct - March the busiest time of the year... Even though trends of the Ps2 are on a constant decline

PS2 magically stopped sellng last year LOL!

Even the God of War 3 numbers need fixing, it has been like that for months yet no adjustments.

kowenicki said:
Carl2291 said:
The numbers were 70 Million as of Nov 4th. We dont know if this contains Holiday bundles/shipments, or how msny of them.

68M for PS3 at the end of September is actually quite possible. It matches previous Years trends for supply, for example. You could probably give/take 100/200k from the totals but shipping/producing 1.8-2 Million PS3s ready for the Holidays throughout October wouldnt be that surprising.

It was selling over 200k every Week and there was also the AC3 bundles and Xillia 2 bundle too, however many there were.

Between Sept 30th and Nov 3rd, Sony sold ~1.3 Million PS3s, so I dont think shipping 1.8 to 2 Million in the same time-frame with the busiest Months yet to come is that odd. Is it?

Well let me ask you how many do you think Sony is going to ship in the 4th quarter? In my opnion they will ship about 5.5 million units. So shipping more than a 1/3 of the units in the slowest month of the quarter is odd to me. It doesn't make sense to sell more ship less for December. It makes more sense to increase shipments as sales start to increase. So more like 1.1million for october, 2.2 million for November and 2.2 million for December.

Retailers will be ordering stock in November for November and December.  They arent ordering stock on the 17th Dec for the following week are they.  That would be madness.

According to VGC Ps3 sold 825k in October. That would mean Sony shipped about 300k more that month than sold while increasing shippments in November.

Around the Network
Turkish said:

Even the God of War 3 numbers need fixing, it has been like that for months yet no adjustments.

This isnt the thread for that, Turkish.

kowenicki said:
kowenicki said:
Carl2291 said:

Still obscure. First of all they are using revenue to measure this number. They say HW and SW to PSP and PS3. SW never sold well enough on the PSP to mak a dent so I assume that is target towards the Ps3. Ontop of that the PSP has shown massive HW drops while only shipping 900k in Sony's Jan-March numbers so I doubt they got anywhere near those 1.8 million shipped from last years April - June quarter so I'd think the HW numbers more targetted to the PSP. Shipped trends show the Ps3 pretty even. Wouldnt make sense for the Ps3 to sharply decline  while the Ps2 sharply increases. Include the fact that Sony shipped 70 million ps3's in Oct that would mean they woud had to of shipped damn near 2 million in that single month

Theyre saying hardware and software are down for PSP and PS3. I think thats pretty clear and it matches what we know about PS3 being down YoY on VGC, NPD, NintyCharts and MC/Famitsu.

1.7 Million isnt down sharply from 1.8 Million. While PS2 would be down YoY for the Quarter by 300k if it had sold 1.1 Million.

EDIT - And PS3 @ 70M shipped was announced in November. Which is 3 Months after the August Quarterly report.

It was announced in November for numbers in October. But using the numbers you agreed with would mean that Ps3 had 68mil shipped in September. Which would mean 2 million in October. Considering I expect about 5.5 million in 4th quarter I don't think it makes sense to ship that many in October

November 16th for numbers to November 4th.  But it really means not much at that time of the year.  Shipments are huge and constant at that time.  We shall see when the release comes in December.  Little point in specualating.

When the release does come everyone will speculate the Ps2 sold 50 million units while the Ps3 only sold 2 million units for the quarters... even though last year Sony only shipped 900k Ps2 units... However, you and carl both think they shipped more than that in April - June and again in July - September... Yet only shipped 1.5 million during Oct - March the busiest time of the year...

Yes, becasue we are looking at the evidence wihtout an agenda.  We are looking at the date and the release and the words they used.  You just WANT it to be different.

Ha the words they used? They tied the Ps3 in with PSP and used revenue. Which they should considering they are a business. However, the psp has been declining just like the Ps2 and the vita hasn't taken up its sales... Yet somehow magically the PS2 sales spur 800k more in the slower 6 months compared to the busy 6 months according to you guys... then sony ships 2 million units in the month of October and sells through their shipments the first week of December... Sony shipped more in November but those wont sell till the end of January so Sony is going to relax on shipments till then.

If you disagree with our numbers Max, do tell - What are your estimations for PS3 and PS2 for each Quarter this Year?

kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
PS2 magically stopped sellng last year LOL!

this is a civilised thread for civilised discussioon.  I dont think you fit in.  One more like that I will report you.  go away.

Hilarious, coming from the dude whose sole contribution to the thread is a "so what".  You should stop being so hypocritical, its becoming rather sad.

Nominally i could moderate you both for insulting each other, Kowenicki and Turkish. Please don't derail discussion.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.