By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The Credibility of VGChartz

oniyide said:
happydolphin said:
oniyide said:

fair enough, but if you've been a member of the site for even a little while, one shouldnt be ignorant

You'd be surprised that I just understood why the PS2 was undertracked and how vgchartz collects data. I never realized vgchartz numbers were purely denoting retail sales. This may shock you but I personally had no idea. And it's not like I don't put in the effort, I just never understood.

Some peopl here just don't know how the numbers are generated here, and it's not gross to say that there is little transparency in the numbers to boot.

I am shocked. i thought you knew. Well then i apologize. But there are def. some people out their that would take this "news" and run with it, without even batting an eye.

aye it kinda has a knock on effect, like citing something from wiki to prove a point as fact, can lead to someone taking that argument as true and then going on to write another article on wiki about the outcome of that point... which is quoted again etc. etc. etc.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

I support this thread.

trunkswd said:
If anyone sends me a message, yes I've seen this. I'll pass it on to Brett (ioi). I have no control over the sales figures. If anyone says we just make up our numbers you are wrong. We do get sales figures from a small percentage of retailers and extrapolate for the rest of the world. The majority of PS2 sales right now are in smaller regions that we don't have hard data on.

I think nobody here (or at least reasonable guys) belives vgchartz make it numbers... what the guys are saying (me at least) is that vgchartz have wrong data for old hardware and software for two big motives:

A) vgchartz started to track sales in 2006 (or 2007)... so the sales befores this year is not too accurate like the sales after (so this gen sales is more accurate than last gen sales)

B) vgchartz stopped to track some old hardware and software... the PS2 enter here because vgchartz stopped to tracks PS2 sales in Nov, 2011.

I think the numbers related to recent systems (360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, DS, 3DS, etc) is more accurate than old systems (PS1, PS2, Xbox, GC, etc). The hardware sales from recent systems is more accurate than software sales from recent systems too.

Now the guys in this forum is making some compariso between new and old system using these unaccurrate old numbers (eg. DS > PS2, PSP (JP) = PS1 (JP), etc).

I think these comparions with old systems is a little unreliable.

NobleTeam360 said:
I still believe that the PS2 holds the crown as highest selling Console/video game machine.

The PS2 will ALWAYS hold the crown as the highest HOME CONSOLE. The DS is a handheld and thus, a different machine and a different market. 10 years ago, no one compared the twos sales. Now? For some reason, people and the media like to do that and it's ridiculous and stupid.

DS is the highest selling handheld and the PS2 is the highest selling home console.

DS will surpass it eventually either way, especially if the NA market keeps confusing it for the 3DS.

Around the Network
Panama said:
DS will surpass it eventually either way, especially if the NA market keeps confusing it for the 3DS.

Not if the PS2 continues to outship(sell) it like its been doing for most of the year. 

ethomaz said:
trunkswd said:
If anyone sends me a message, yes I've seen this. I'll pass it on to Brett (ioi). I have no control over the sales figures. If anyone says we just make up our numbers you are wrong. We do get sales figures from a small percentage of retailers and extrapolate for the rest of the world. The majority of PS2 sales right now are in smaller regions that we don't have hard data on.

I think nobody here (or at least reasonable guys) belives vgchartz make it numbers... what the guys are saying (me at least) is that vgchartz have wrong data for old hardware and software for two big motives:

A) vgchartz started to track sales in 2006 (or 2007)... so the sales befores this year is not too accurate like the sales after (so this gen sales is more accurate than last gen sales)

B) vgchartz stopped to track some old hardware and software... the PS2 enter here because vgchartz stopped to tracks PS2 sales in Nov, 2011.

I think the numbers related to recent systems (360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, DS, 3DS, etc) is more accurate than old systems (PS1, PS2, Xbox, GC, etc). The hardware sales from recent systems is more accurate than software sales from recent systems too.

Now the guys in this forum is making some compariso between new and old system using these unaccurrate old numbers (eg. DS > PS2, PSP (JP) = PS1 (JP), etc).

I think these comparions with old systems is a little unreliable.

I think the core issue is that a writer failed to notice that VGC stopped tracking the PS2, and reported on insufficient data. Very bad journalism, IMO.

VGC isn't perfect, but its the most comprehensive source out there.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

kowenicki said:
This really matters to people huh? Curious.

I am happy to say the PS2 is and will remain the biggest selling home console of all time.

The DS the biggest selling handheld.

Not sure why this discussion even needs to happen. Comparing handheld sales and Home Console sales is pointless. The article proclaiming DS was > PS2 deserved a "so what!" response imo.

I'm more interested in the current tracking of current consoles in isolation.

I don't see a thread on Vita tracking being way above shipments as of June. I didn't see a thread asking how, after adjustments, there could be zero consoles in supply for the PS3 in March 2010.

Good point. If people are complaining, they should complain across the board, no exceptions made.

This is a bit off topic, but does anyone here know why so many people I've been talking to THINKS that the 3DS is being outsold by the DS week on week every week of its entire life? There are a lot of people who don't believe that the 3DS is selling nearly as much as the PS3 and 360 are each week. They think the numbers are 360 at very top, closely followed by PS3, then a huge difference between those and the Wii, then DS under that, and 3DS under that.

The numbers on this site have always been 'off' and should always be taken with a grain of salt.
Through the years people were always able to proof that vgchartz was off. Some did, just like you are doing now. There's nothing wrong with that.
This site will become desolate if enough of us keep falling over their inaccurate numbers. Why on earth should we discuss fictitious numbers? What's the point?
Maybe they should put a very big disclaimer on the front-page. (throw in some humor)

I agree though that ds and ps2 shouldn't be compared like that, console vs handheld, whole different ball game. Both doing an excellent job for us gamers.