By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NDS to be Highest Seller of All Time

Carl2291 said:
killer7 said:
There was NO word about 156 million acording to sony, just the combination of PS2 and PS3 and a FORCAST for 16 million PS3/PS2 at the BEGINNING of the year! It is strange that those 154 million is in most articles! Why do not they say 156 million?? Even if your 156 million where true, how many where SOLD (not shipped?)

Fucking hell. This has been explained to you numerous times. Youve been pointed towards links showing how its a MINIMUM of 156M Shipped.

The facts are there. Youre choosing to ignore them and carry on your petty little crusade against the PS2.

Why? Whats your point?

I agree with you 100% , There is no reason to doubt that the PS2 is at the very least 156 million shipped. But this still means little. The PS2 has either already stopped being produced (I know and understand that it is till being shipped , I do not refute that, look to my previous post as to why) or it will stop prouction in the near future. I just do not see how anyone can belive that the DS will not be around long enough to pass the PS2 however, I see the DS lifetime upwards of 160-165Million  in all honesty. Most will say nintendo scraps their hardwae much earlier than sony and that is  true, but looking at nintendos history they have never scrapped a system that is continuing to sell at all well, they may stop supporting it with games but they will keep making the machines so long as there are people willing to line up to buy them by the thousands. 

Not that any of this matters, the PS2 is by far the best selling home console of all time and I doubt that anything anyone ever does will ever change that. The DS will likely end up selling higher but not by much. 

Who is John Galt?

3DS Friend Code : 2535-4338-9000 

AMD FX 8150 , 8 GB DDR3 Kingston Memory,  EVGA GTX 560 TI 2 GB superclocked, Samsung 256 GB SSD

Around the Network

I dont really think the DS will last too much longer. Maybe 2 Years, max.

What kept the PS2 going, and still going now, is a mix of 2 things that the DS simply doesnt have.

Firstly, backwards compatibility. The PS3 cant play PS2 games. You wanna play an old PS2 game you still have, but your PS2 is busted? Get a new PS2 on the cheap! It matters a whole lot, when there are over 1000 games to choose from. The 3DS can do everything a DS can

Secondly, expanded markets. The DS just simply isnt as popular in the new markets. India. Middle East. South America. Etc.

The alarming drop in DS sales from 2010 shows the problem that the console faces.

2010 - 20.6 Million
2011/3DS Year - 8.8 Million (Down 57%)
2012 - Will finish the Year sitting at less than 4 Million. Again down by close to 60%

The PS2 had and is having a much steadier decline since PS3 release. Seeing as we cant see sales on VGC, lets look at FY totals.

FY 05 - 16.2M
FY 06/ PS3 WW - 14.2M
FY 07 - 13.7M
FY 08 - 7.9M
FY 09 - 7.3M
FY 10 - 6.4M
FY 11 - 4.1M

Its a much steadier decline, which will continue for FY 12 no doubt. The question is, how low does it have to go until Sony stop it completely? If its still a profit maker, then why stop it?

AFTER 95 WEEKS OF SALES DATA, THE 3DS IS STILL OUTPACING THE SALES OF ITS PREDECESSOR, THE DS

To date, the 3DS has sold 25,243,576 units, or 265,722 per week.

It's predecessor - the DS, now officially the best selling dedicated gaming console in history, over its first 95 weeks, sold - 25,108,337 units or 264,298 per week.

Now - tell me, anyone please dare to TELL ME - how can you explain this, how can this be true, if the widespread assumption that iOS and Android mobile devices (which there are orders of magnitude more of than dedicated handheld gaming consoles), are slowly but surely killing the dedicated console market?

The simple truth is - IT'S NOT. It's all a big illusion, in our short-sighted obsession with iPhones, Apple, and Google.

The 3DS is outpacing the DS - even though in the DS's time, there were ZERO Smart-Phones or Tablets. Uh, say what? In your f-a-a-a-a-ce Angry Birds. The 3DS is still beating the DS even in the more crowded Tech world, the more crowded handheld space, and the more crowded gaming world.

Shit yeah.

OceanJ said:
AFTER 95 WEEKS OF SALES DATA, THE 3DS IS STILL OUTPACING THE SALES OF ITS PREDECESSOR, THE DS

It's predecessor - the DS, now officially the best selling dedicated gaming console in history, over its first 95 weeks, sold - 25,108,337 units or 264,298 per week.

Now - tell me, anyone please dare to TELL ME - how can you explain this, how can this be true, if the widespread assumption that iOS and Android mobile devices (which there are orders of magnitude more of than dedicated handheld gaming consoles), are slowly but surely killing the dedicated console market?

The simple truth is - IT'S NOT. It's all a big illusion, in our short-sighted obsession with iPhones, Apple, and Google.

The 3DS is outpacing the DS - even though in the DS's time, there were ZERO Smart-Phones or Tablets. Uh, say what? In your f-a-a-a-a-ce Angry Birds. The 3DS is still beating the DS even in the more crowded Tech world, the more crowded handheld space, and the more crowded gaming world.

Shit yeah.

Quoted for truth, I guess. But how the f*ck is this related to the topic?

Uh, I don't know. I was just excited. It is kinda related since we're talking about the DS being the biggest ever...but its successor is outpacing it.

Just you know, taking it to the next level. Advancing the conversation and whatnot.

Around the Network
OceanJ said:

Shit yeah.

Slight note, the DS isn't officially the best selling dedicated gaming console in history, that would be the PS2.

It's cool that NDS is the biggest system ever, and that 3DS is outpacing it!

Nope - the DS just passed the PS2 for all-time sales.  The DS is #1.

The denial is strong with these Nintendo fans. Eventually, they will only feel heartbreak when Sony announces the final numbers.

OceanJ said:

Nope - the DS just passed the PS2 for all-time sales.  The DS is #1.

Nope Vgchartz numbers for the PS2 are wrong because the owner of Vgchartz has said so himself, the PS2 is still ahead of the DS.