By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NDS to be Highest Seller of All Time

It started like this: I wanted to know if i could eventually buy a new PS2 because my old one is getting crappy! So i called the support! I even asked them if i could get one from abroad! They told me they are still selling it! YES this is very well true! But they told me they are just selling stock! Is this clear now?;) Don´t you see that it is a bit strange if people from the playstation support tell me that they do not longer produce a product, but people here are insanly trying to deny this?

Around the Network
killer7 said:
It started like this: I wanted to know if i could eventually buy a new PS2 because my old one is getting crappy! So i called the support! I even asked them if i could get one from abroad! They told me they are still selling it! YES this is very well true! But they told me they are just selling stock! Is this clear now?;) Don´t you see that it is a bit strange if people from the playstation support tell me that they do not longer produce a product, but people here are insanly trying to deny this?

You need to back up your claim with more than anecdotal evidence. You need to prove to us that the PS2 is no longer produced/shipped.

You also need to ask yourself - "If Sony stopped shipping PS2 consoles, then how did the PS2 outship the DS through January to July?"

The numbers are there, killer7. The maths has been done.

the DS is the new king in town

WII U // PC // 3ds XL // VITA

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still alive, even after ioi has said they were off by a few million with the PS2. But, you keep fighting the good fight killer7, even if the PS2 continues to increase the gap between it and the DS.

I do not see any reason that Sony could not of just had a few million PS2's lying around , and that these numbers for shipments are simply them clearing out their backstock. You do not need to produce something to ship it, so it could very well be that both killer 7 and Carl2291 are correct.

Regardless,unlike those that think nintendo will just stop producing a system that is still printing them money, I assume the DS will be around for FAR FAR longer than the PS2 (not total years, just PS2 will be completeley gone before DS stops production) so this is all a moot point, when all is said and done DS WILL be the best selling console of all time, and will likely never lose its crown. (At least not in the foreseeable future.)

Who is John Galt?

3DS Friend Code : 2535-4338-9000 

AMD FX 8150 , 8 GB DDR3 Kingston Memory,  EVGA GTX 560 TI 2 GB superclocked, Samsung 256 GB SSD

Around the Network
killer7 said:
@cookingyourmama
I am NOT atacking YOU! I just question the tracking methodes of Sony! Wasn´t it Sony that does not draw a line between SHIPPED and SOLD? Yes Concerns can lie! Many do this to make numbers look better! Sony has a past in mixing SHIPPED and SOLD! I remember the redicolous 120 million PSone consoles! We know the truth! If the PS2 really has 158 million it would be flat from 2011 (even PS360 are down) wich is simply NOT possible! Something is not right here!

Never said you were 'atacking' me. Doesn't change the fact that you are still wrong and you can reword your exact same failed points again and again but you'll still be incorrect when you have already been proved wrong with stone cold hard FACTS.

CityOfNoobs said:
I do not see any reason that Sony could not of just had a few million PS2's lying around , and that these numbers for shipments are simply them clearing out their backstock. You do not need to produce something to ship it, so it could very well be that both killer 7 and Carl2291 are correct.

Regardless,unlike those that think nintendo will just stop producing a system that is still printing them money, I assume the DS will be around for FAR FAR longer than the PS2 (not total years, just PS2 will be completeley gone before DS stops production) so this is all a moot point, when all is said and done DS WILL be the best selling console of all time, and will likely never lose its crown. (At least not in the foreseeable future.)

What? It's not an opinion, it's not up for debate, it's a simple fact that Sony still ship PS2's because it says so in their fiscal report and for the current fiscal year Sony have projected to ship more PS2's than Nintendo have projected to ship DS's. These are new PS2's being made for expanding markets.

killer7 said:

1. What you've said is just hear say not a fact.

2. Financial fiscal reports that say the PS2 is still being shipped in large quanties > than some random guy on the phone.

3. Sony's numbers show new PS2's are being shipped every quarter so no they are not just selling stock.

cookingyourmama said:
CityOfNoobs said:

What? It's not an opinion, it's not up for debate, it's a simple fact that Sony still ship PS2's because it says so in their fiscal report and for the current fiscal year Sony have projected to ship more PS2's than Nintendo have projected to ship DS's. These are new PS2's being made for expanding markets.

"These are new PS2's being made for expanding markets" - There is no evidence of that. None. We have no idea how many PS2's soney has PRODUCED, only roughly how many are SHIPPED. So the thing is , it could still be discountinued, and still be shipping.  They have been making this console for over ten years, they very well could have a large stockpile by now, thats the thing, we dont know. 

Who is John Galt?

3DS Friend Code : 2535-4338-9000 

AMD FX 8150 , 8 GB DDR3 Kingston Memory,  EVGA GTX 560 TI 2 GB superclocked, Samsung 256 GB SSD

CityOfNoobs said:

"These are new PS2's being made for expanding markets" - There is no evidence of that. None. We have no idea how many PS2's soney has PRODUCED, only roughly how many are SHIPPED. So the thing is , it could still be discountinued, and still be shipping.  They have been making this console for over ten years, they very well could have a large stockpile by now, thats the thing, we dont know.

That's impossible.