By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will WiiU be the Global Leader?

When will WiiU be the weekly Global sales leader?

This week - Japan will put it over the top! 58 19.21%

Some time in December. 17 5.63%

In the New Year - Japan w... 37 12.25%

Next Summer - It's supply constrained. 20 6.62%

Christmas 2013 - 3D Mario Needed... 61 20.20%

Never! PS360 is on a 10-year cycle! 105 34.77%

Total:298
Conegamer said:

This was pointed out and thus I adjusted my prediction to late May/early June. I expect 20-30% down YoY, similar to most of this year. This would push sales close to 100k around these months, and certainly under in September/October.

I can agree with late May/ early June, with no pricecuts. March though, thats insanity

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Conegamer said:

This was pointed out and thus I adjusted my prediction to late May/early June. I expect 20-30% down YoY, similar to most of this year. This would push sales close to 100k around these months, and certainly under in September/October.

I can agree with late May/ early June, with no pricecuts. March though, thats insanity

Yeah I was really underselling it, thought that the PS360 were much lower than that. Coupled with the fact I didn't think any BIG games were coming until April (bar maybe Bioshock), but there you go. 

I guess I've been focusing too much on GTA, The Last Of Us and Bioshock that I'd pretty much forgot about everything else...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Next Summer.  Around July the Wii U will start to overtake the PS3 and Xbox 360 in global sales, but only if Sony or Microsoft announce their Gen8 consoles.

If neither announce next gen consoles, and one or the other reduces the price of their console over the Summer, the Wii U won't overtake the other two.

If the Wii U does become #1, it'll happen first in Japan, then Europe, and then the US.

Carl2291 said:
Play4Fun said:

Okay, okay. The  Wii had nothing to do with PS Move releasing. It was just a coincidence it released when Wii had made motion gaming popular.

It was part of Sony's plan all along.

Your pointless, petty bickering is pointless and petty.

Firstly. Look at what youre arguing about. The Wii Remote and PS Move. Tell me what it has to do with the thread, other than making you feel a little better about yourself.

Secondly. Look at what STAGE was saying. He said Nintendo have the casual market on lockdown. Theyre now taking on (trying) Sony and MS for the more core gamer. YOU CANT ARGUE AGAINST THIS. Its a fact. Its obvious to anyone who knows anything about what happened over the last 4 Years.

Nintendo have been pissed off that despite selling 100M consoles, the userbase for a GTA isnt there. The 25+ Million CoD market is tiny on Nintendo. Battlefield isnt there. Assassin's Creed wasnt there. Batman wasnt there. The critically acclaimed, multi-Million selling blockbuster games simply werent on the Wii. They were/are on PS360. Nintendo want that market, along with the WiiFit/Imagine: Babiez! markets.

So far, with WiiU, theyve thrown one little pebble. Bayonetta 2. Is it major? Not really, but its showing intentions. They have Assassin's Creed and Batman, along with CoD. Theyre still a long way behind though, as shown this Week. Dark Souls 2 being the prime example.

Answer this question - Why is it the Wii dropped off, far quicker than PS3 and 360 have?

And just to answer the OP... When the first big game releases.

Firstly, if you don't like what we are arguing about, move on to other posts. This is a forum and people argue on forums, get used to it.

Secondly, what we were really arguing about was him saying little Nintendo would be crushed by the 'big boys' next year as if Nintendo was some underdog in the industry plus I'm sick of people who are always going on about casuals vs core/hardcore.

Thirdly, No one has anything on lockdown, every gen is a clean slate where anything can happen as can be seen in console history.

The primary reason why Wii sales dropped off? Because Nintendo abandoned it and moved on to making 3DS and WiiU software.

Play4Fun said:

Firstly, if you don't like what we are arguing about, move on to other posts. This is a forum and people argue on forums, get used to it.

Secondly, what we were really arguing about was him saying little Nintendo would be crushed by the 'big boys' next year as if Nintendo was some underdog in the industry plus I'm sick of people who are always going on about casuals vs core/hardcore.

Thirdly, No one has anything on lockdown, every gen is a clean slate where anything can happen as can be seen in console history.

The primary reason why Wii sales dropped off? Because Nintendo abandoned it and moved on to making 3DS and WiiU software.

Youre supposed to argue about the topic at hand - In this case, WiiU being able to come on top during a Week. Not a thread about Sony copying Nintendo. Be original and make a thread about it, if its still bugging you so much after so many Years.

Nintendo are the underdogs in the market theyre trying to get. Sony snd Microsoft have been fighting back and forth over it for the last 6/7 Years, while Nintendo have done the Nintendo thing and gone after the expanded market. Maybe "lockdown" was too strong, but they certainly have a majority share of the market with Mario, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, etc. All 20 Million sellers.

Wii sales dropped off because Nintendo alone couldnt maintain support when they were a) trying to get the 3DS to DS levels and b) had a brand new WiiU releasing. They need 3rd party games to pick up the slack. Nintendo, as good as they are, cant single-handedly carry a system for 7-8 Years. PS3 and 360 have lasted as long as they have because of continued 1st and 3rd party support. Its exactly why a 7 Year old system will outsell the brand new system this Holiday.

If Nintendo want to consistantly maintain the number 1 spot, they need 3rd parties. They did it with handhelds, lets see how they can do it on home consoles with far, far greater competition.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
The people saying the Wii U is already the global leader are wrong. Being the leader means being ahead of the competition. And the competition is any console that competes for consumers and 3rd party games. For the Wii U, its current competitors are the PS3 and 360. With that said, its not currently the global leader.

Generations are just used to describe consoles released around the same time. It's not some universal principle that limits competitors to consoles within the same generation. No, if a console is selling competitively, then its a competitor. As of now, the Wii U isn't leading over its competitors.

This. Finally some sense in this thread.

superchunk 3 hours ago
1) I love your name. Need the avatar to match it though.
2) It already is. WiiU is over a million sold and MSony both stand at zero considering they haven't launched. (probably already mentioned tho)

Haha thanks, I'll have to change it...though Ladybug truly is an epic hardcore gaming experience.

Never. It might take the lead for a week or 2 here and there though.

Carl2291 said:
Play4Fun said:

Youre supposed to argue about the topic at hand - In this case, WiiU being able to come on top during a Week. Not a thread about Sony copying Nintendo. Be original and make a thread about it, if its still bugging you so much after so many Years.

Nintendo are the underdogs in the market theyre trying to get. Sony snd Microsoft have been fighting back and forth over it for the last 6/7 Years, while Nintendo have done the Nintendo thing and gone after the expanded market. Maybe "lockdown" was too strong, but they certainly have a majority share of the market with Mario, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, etc. All 20 Million sellers.

Wii sales dropped off because Nintendo alone couldnt maintain support when they were a) trying to get the 3DS to DS levels and b) had a brand new WiiU releasing. They need 3rd party games to pick up the slack. Nintendo, as good as they are, cant single-handedly carry a system for 7-8 Years. PS3 and 360 have lasted as long as they have because of continued 1st and 3rd party support. Its exactly why a 7 Year old system will outsell the brand new system this Holiday.

If Nintendo want to consistantly maintain the number 1 spot, they need 3rd parties. They did it with handhelds, lets see how they can do it on home consoles with far, far greater competition.

Another thing about forums, one subject tends to lead to another. You should get used to that one too.

The argument wasn't really about Sony copying Nintendo. If you're going to chide people for arguing on a forum, try to properly see what they're arguing about first.

And stop backseat modding.

Carl2291 said:

Your pointless, petty bickering is pointless and petty.

Firstly. Look at what youre arguing about. The Wii Remote and PS Move. Tell me what it has to do with the thread, other than making you feel a little better about yourself.

Secondly. Look at what STAGE was saying. He said Nintendo have the casual market on lockdown. Theyre now taking on (trying) Sony and MS for the more core gamer. YOU CANT ARGUE AGAINST THIS. Its a fact. Its obvious to anyone who knows anything about what happened over the last 4 Years.

Nintendo have been pissed off that despite selling 100M consoles, the userbase for a GTA isnt there. The 25+ Million CoD market is tiny on Nintendo. Battlefield isnt there. Assassin's Creed wasnt there. Batman wasnt there. The critically acclaimed, multi-Million selling blockbuster games simply werent on the Wii. They were/are on PS360. Nintendo want that market, along with the WiiFit/Imagine: Babiez! markets.

So far, with WiiU, theyve thrown one little pebble. Bayonetta 2. Is it major? Not really, but its showing intentions. They have Assassin's Creed and Batman, along with CoD. Theyre still a long way behind though, as shown this Week. Dark Souls 2 being the prime example.

Answer this question - Why is it the Wii dropped off, far quicker than PS3 and 360 have?

And just to answer the OP... When the first big game releases.

Talk about pointless and petty bickering. Your entire post was nothing but the usual whiny rant. Ofcourse you're siding with your fellow "friend" STAGE lol, who claimed what he claimed and got called on it, like you with nothing to backup what you claim. Those aren't facts, just mess you claim to make yourself feel better at night lol. "What happened over the last 4 years?" Ninty sold more hardware and software. FACT. Highly doubt Ninty is pissed lol, maybe after seeing their competitors do what ever they could to make their plats more "Wii like" see kinect and move. FACT. Wii Fit sold more than Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Batman, etc... Basically every franchise on PS3/360 besides CoD. FACT. The multi-million selling blockbuster games simply werent on the Wii", then how did the Wii sell more software without them lol? Mario and Wii franchise stands above all of them besides CoD. FACT.

According to you, by Micro/Sony grabbing some of the Wii games that were exclusive before Kinect/Move, thats proof that their pissed off about selling less hardware and software than Ninty lol. Ninty having those multiplats does not prove at all Ninty is pissed about not having the core, its proof they want all markets. Just like them going after the once exclusive Just dance and Mickey.

Ill answer your question, because the shit 360/PS3 were selling like in their early years isn't that hard to top.

I have a question for you, why is it taking them so long to surpass the Wii globally, you would think with their "incredible longevity" they would have caught the "fad" by now?