By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will PS3 overtake 360 in sales?

When will PS3 overtake 360 in total sales?

Temp in 2013, Perm in 2014 227 42.67%

Permanently in 2014 (Won... 79 14.85%

Temp in 2013, and 2014, Perm in 2015 23 4.32%

Temp in 2014, Perm in 2015 29 5.45%

Permanently in 2015 (Won... 3 0.56%

Temp in 2014, and 2015, Perm in 2016 8 1.50%

Temp in 2015, Perm in 2016 3 0.56%

Some point after 2016, bu... 10 1.88%

It won't, sales for both... 27 5.08%

It won't, 360 will hold ... 122 22.93%

Total:531
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:

Now that I have to disagree with. The gap is now at 2 million and will prob be 2.5 million by years end. PS3 cant make up a 2.5 million gap in one year. Probably in first half of 2014.

I hope you saw my edit.  A products ability to maintain the interest of consumers even after superior hardware is out should be counted.  If 360 can't keep selling because people lose interest or Microsoft can't support it with good enough games then they still lost.  You're just making fake parameters because you know Playstation consoles have the longest lifespans.

I did. PS2 was allready the winner, which was why it continued to sell well into the next gen. Also the competitors were nowhere near close in lifetime sales. PS3 is totally different then PS2 in those regards. Bad example.

Oh sales should be counted when next gen happens. Not denying that. Im saying "whos gonna care?", which is a very legit question.

If PS3 passes 360 in 2014 or 2015 when all 3 next gen consoles are out, people will just shrug in neutrality. They arent current anymore. Period. To me, 360 won when it was part of the current gen. Anything that happens after is hollow as again....people just wont care.

PS3 fans crack open the bubly and Xbox fans will cheer on the Xbox 3 beating PS4. The cycle begins a new and in the end you won nothing. Just inherited another generation of fighting for lost marketshare.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

By early 2014, if PS3 gains another million on Xbox in 2013 like it did this year. But I expect Current gen consoles to still be supported till 2016 at least, 2 to 3 years after the next gen consoles came out (the same for the Wii as well)

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

WOW! PS3 beats 360 this week. If Ps3 can do that the rest of the year it will change everyones views. However, VGC just readjusted to preadjustment levels when NPD showed they needed to adjust down. I believe the Ps3 may have beat the 360 a little more than whats shown

I feel like the PS3 will gain on the 360 a lot faster next year than this year. The 360 only has one big exclusive that's being released in March. On the other hand, the PS3 has a much larger and more diverse lineup next year. So not only shooter fans will be satisfied, but fans of other genres, as well. RPG fans will get Ni No Kuni, Tales of Xillia, perhaps Tales of Xillia 2, and if really lucky, FF Versus XIII. Platformers will like Sly Cooper. Fans of Heavy Rain will definitely want to get Beyond: Two Souls.

Aura7541 said:
I feel like the PS3 will gain on the 360 a lot faster next year than this year. The 360 only has one big exclusive that's being released in March. On the other hand, the PS3 has a much larger and more diverse lineup next year. So not only shooter fans will be satisfied, but fans of other genres, as well. RPG fans will get Ni No Kuni, Tales of Xillia, perhaps Tales of Xillia 2, and if really lucky, FF Versus XIII. Platformers will like Sly Cooper. Fans of Heavy Rain will definitely want to get Beyond: Two Souls.

Last of Us and God of War will be the big system movers as well plus a price cut at some point to $199 is almost a sure thing next year

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:

Now that I have to disagree with. The gap is now at 2 million and will prob be 2.5 million by years end. PS3 cant make up a 2.5 million gap in one year. Probably in first half of 2014.

I hope you saw my edit.  A products ability to maintain the interest of consumers even after superior hardware is out should be counted.  If 360 can't keep selling because people lose interest or Microsoft can't support it with good enough games then they still lost.  You're just making fake parameters because you know Playstation consoles have the longest lifespans.

I did. PS2 was allready the winner, which was why it continued to sell well into the next gen. Also the competitors were nowhere near close in lifetime sales. PS3 is totally different then PS2 in those regards. Bad example.

Oh sales should be counted when next gen happens. Not denying that. Im saying "whos gonna care?", which is a very legit question.

If PS3 passes 360 in 2014 or 2015 when all 3 next gen consoles are out, people will just shrug in neutrality. They arent current anymore. Period. To me, 360 won when it was part of the current gen. Anything that happens after is hollow as again....people just wont care.

PS3 fans crack open the bubly and Xbox fans will cheer on the Xbox 3 beating PS4. The cycle begins a new and in the end you won nothing. Just inherited another generation of fighting for lost marketshare.

So I guess you're pretty sure Xbox 3 will beat PS4 then?  Considering they had every conceivable advantage this gen (a year head start +a couple months in Europe, no system sellers for PS3 in first 2 years, and most of all being 2/3 the price) and they're still going to end up 3rd I wouldn't be so confident.

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:

So I guess you're pretty sure Xbox 3 will beat PS4 then?  Considering they had every conceivable advantage this gen (a year head start +a couple months in Europe, no system sellers for PS3 in first 2 years, and most of all being 2/3 the price) and they're still going to end up 3rd I wouldn't be so confident.

My thought's exactly. If Sony doesn't make any huge blunders like they did with the Ps3 then I can see the MS and Nintendo loosing market share. I already think Nintendo will loose market share because I don't think the Wii U will catch on as much as the Wii. I believe it will be 80 million which is very good. And I see MS loosing market share for multiple reasons. First of all I don't think Japanese developers will be willing to work with MS as much as the did with the 360. Say goodbye to Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Lost Remenant, Star Ocean, Infinite Undiscovery exclusives. I think the next MS console will be less relevant in Japan than it is now. Also, has Halo hit it's high? It would be pretty hard to top the numbers it's hitting right now. It's a massive game but I can see it dropping eventually as almost every other game. So will America adopt the next MS console as fast? Also, I don't see MS being able to capitalize on such things that you listed. I can see the next MS console selling 50-60 million consoles. I can see the Ps4 selling better than this gen if Sony does it right. I can't see how Sony can't improve sales while not having any massive blunders and also selling in markets they expanded with the Ps3.

Overall I see this next gen being down total console sales for a few reason. A. the Wii U not being able to capture their same audience. B. third party exclusives going the way of the dodo reducing the need of multiple consoles. C. No big generation leap of gaming experience.

Max King of the Wild said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:

My thought's exactly. If Sony doesn't make any huge blunders like they did with the Ps3 then I can see the MS and Nintendo loosing market share. I already think Nintendo will loose market share because I don't think the Wii U will catch on as much as the Wii. I believe it will be 80 million which is very good. And I see MS loosing market share for multiple reasons. First of all I don't think Japanese developers will be willing to work with MS as much as the did with the 360. Say goodbye to Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Lost Remenant, Star Ocean, Infinite Undiscovery exclusives. I think the next MS console will be less relevant in Japan than it is now. Also, has Halo hit it's high? It would be pretty hard to top the numbers it's hitting right now. It's a massive game but I can see it dropping eventually as almost every other game. So will America adopt the next MS console as fast? Also, I don't see MS being able to capitalize on such things that you listed. I can see the next MS console selling 50-60 million consoles. I can see the Ps4 selling better than this gen if Sony does it right. I can't see how Sony can't improve sales while not having any massive blunders and also selling in markets they expanded with the Ps3.

Overall I see this next gen being down total console sales for a few reason. A. the Wii U not being able to capture their same audience. B. third party exclusives going the way of the dodo reducing the need of multiple consoles. C. No big generation leap of gaming experience.

That was said when the last game was released..I doubt it has hit it's high yet.As long as the game gets the fans excited, it'll keep seeling more. 

I agree with the Wii U. Unless something blows people away in the next year or two, it's not gonna be the market leader. Sony depends on launch. Also look for alot fewer exclusives next year from MS and Sony. Sony's exclusive numbers that's not Metal Gear or Grand Turmiso ranged from decent to pathetic. Same goes to MS with halo and Gears. So I think there will be more mutiplatform games than previous cycles.

bigdom2786 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:

That was said when the last game was released..I doubt it has hit it's high yet.As long as the game gets the fans excited, it'll keep seeling more. 

I agree with the Wii U. Unless something blows people away in the next year or two, it's not gonna be the market leader. Sony depends on launch. Also look for alot fewer exclusives next year from MS and Sony. Sony's exclusive numbers that's not Metal Gear or Grand Turmiso ranged from decent to pathetic. Same goes to MS with halo and Gears. So I think there will be more mutiplatform games than previous cycles.

We will just have to wait an see about the Halo. I think it will be on par with like GT next generation. Mostly from this gens gamers not adopting the next gen.

Only way I see the next gen from not having a decline in total console sales is if the Ps4/next MS console come out with the "must have system" of the gen but I dont want that in fear it will effect the games I enjoy.

bigdom2786 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:
platformmaster918 said:
sales2099 said:

God of War and Uncharted became pretty huge this gen and Ascension is tracking ahead of 3 right now (not sure why I'm not nearly as excited for it).  Also Littlbigplanet has been pretty huge considering it's a new IP.  Sony has some great franchises on their hands they just need to fix their crap marketing.  Infamous, Resistance (1&3), Heavy Rain, and Killzone could all be 5 million sellers if they would just get some good adds and get people aware of their existence (I mean Kevin Butler riding a horse?  COME ON!)

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers