By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hip Hop Gamer says Nintendo is in a position to acquire SEGA

If Nintendo could grab them for absolutely dirt cheap, I could see it, but we're taking like a bargain basement price.

There isn't much mass appeal left for Sega these days, yes a Sonic game done well could probably sell 3-4 million worldwide, but so can about 7-8 Nintendo franchises. Soccer Manager, Phantasy Star Online, and the Yakuza brands have some appeal yet I guess but most other Sega IP are basically dead and bringing them back would probably only yield a niche audience. 

The main appeal for Nintendo I think would be to have Sega's back catalog under lock and key.

Some day they'd be able to make a heckuva a legacy platform just off NES/SNES/Master System/Genesis/N64/Saturn/GCN/Dreamcast/Wii/arcade content. Not being able to play these games on iPhone/XBox/Android/Playstation (well legally anyway) might be worth it. 

Around the Network

I would be surprisingly okay with this, if it means one step closer to another F-Zero game.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Kasz216 said:
Kenology said:
Is there any talent left at Sega? I don't know that it would be a good acquisition even if it were true.

As someone said earlier, I'm all for Nintendo buying Platinum. They should turn Platinum into EAD 6 and give Kamiya complete autonomy to make whatever projects he wants.

Fuck, that'd be amazing.

Well if anyone could ressurect some of Sega's dead franchises it's Nintendo.

Get some Mario guys on Sonic,

Get one of the Fire Emblem devs a team to work on Shining Force.

Camelot, the original developer of Shining Force, is currently owned by Nintendo. I forsee a happy reunion if this purchase takes place.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

animegaming said:

(insert sega genesis commercial joke here)

Well, Nintendo cannot buy themselves.  Being bought by Nintendo would be another example of sega doing what Nintendon't.

I'm not buying a nintendo console to play sega games, though. I'll stick to my genesis, and be happy.  Sega's been dead to me anyway.  No good sonic games (didn't like generations, or any other sonic game released after Sonic Adventure 2)

When I want to play sonic, I'll pop in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, or Sonic 1, or 2...  I own all the genesis sonic games anyway.

But, if I recall, Hip Hop Gamer is usually wrong on a lot of stuff he says.  So, I'm glad for that.  Nintendo needs to make sure the Wii U is going to sell before worrying about buying Sega.

I hate to say it, but the only third party dev worth owning for Nintendo would be Square-Enix. Japanese devs have really fallen off a cliff.

Even Capcom is somewhat moot as Nintendo has Monster Hunter under their wing now (and given the Vita's performance, that's not unlikely to be going anywhere) and had Resident Evil exclusivity before and it didn't do much.

For Nintendo to buy Sega it would have to be a "Sammy wants to dump Sega and is willing to basically gift them to Nintendo at a bargain price" type thing.

If this were to happen, I'd basically make Toshihiro Nagoshi the lead of the Sega-Nintendo division and bring back Yuji Naka to the company (the other Sonic creator already works at NST for Nintendo).

Around the Network

I think there would be a huge advantage for Nintendo to acquire Sega's IP, I don't think there is much value for Nintendo to acquire Sega's developers though ...

Nintendo could take the top Sega franchises, release a good version (or two) of these games in a generation to massive sales, and probably see a significant boost in overall game and system sales. Unfortunately, Sega is a shadow of the developer they once were, and I doubt they could deliver the quality these games would need to be unless the studio's were heavily restructured and received a lot of hand-holding from Nintendo.

To be honest, Sega would probably fit the bill for Sony a lot better. They kinda need a little more family appeal, even though they are trying with LittleBigPlanet and Wonderbook and what not.

Sonic could fill the void that's been missing since they lost Crash Bandicoot. Sega characters taking the lead in IP like Playstation All-Stars Battle and LBP Karting (replace that with Sonic All-Stars Transformed) would probably help those games sell a lot better. Yakuza and Virtua Fighter are natural fits on the Playstation. 

It would help the Vita out a lot to have an exclusive Sonic, PSO, Soccer Manager, Virtua Fighter, etc.

That said, not sure if Sony has exactly a ton of money lying around to spend these days, even though they have made some acquisitions in some other divisions, my guess is that was all that Hirai was given to work with, there's not a lot more money coming in.

Soundwave said:
I hate to say it, but the only third party dev worth owning for Nintendo would be Square-Enix. Japanese devs have really fallen off a cliff.

Even Capcom is somewhat moot as Nintendo has Monster Hunter under their wing now (and given the Vita's performance, that's not unlikely to be going anywhere) and had Resident Evil exclusivity before and it didn't do much.

For Nintendo to buy Sega it would have to be a "Sammy wants to dump Sega and is willing to basically gift them to Nintendo at a bargain price" type thing.

If this were to happen, I'd basically make Toshihiro Nagoshi the lead of the Sega-Nintendo division and bring back Yuji Naka to the company (the other Sonic creator already works at NST for Nintendo).

I would argue that there is more value in Sega's IPs than Square Enix at the moment ...

To put numbers on it, there are probably 12 to 18 franchises that Sega owns that could reliably produce a 1+ million selling game (and a couple that could produce a 5+ million selling game) if they were produced at the same kind of quality level as most Nintendo games; and most of these games would be relatively inexpensive to produce because they would (ideally) be 2.5D games where realistic graphics are less important than style.

In contrast, the value in Square Enix is franchises that are gigantic blockbusters that require massive teams and a gigantic cost to produce.

HappySqurriel said:
Soundwave said:

I would argue that there is more value in Sega's IPs than Square Enix at the moment ...

To put numbers on it, there are probably 12 to 18 franchises that Sega owns that could reliably produce a 1+ million selling game (and a couple that could produce a 5+ million selling game) if they were produced at the same kind of quality level as most Nintendo games; and most of these games would be relatively inexpensive to produce because they would (ideally) be 2.5D games where realistic graphics are less important than style.

In contrast, the value in Square Enix is franchises that are gigantic blockbusters that require massive teams and a gigantic cost to produce.

I think you're being generous with that 12-18 IPs number ... Rayman probably won't even hit 1 million on the Wii U and that will probably be a pretty good game. 

Nintendo has a lot of IP just collecting dust on their shelves that probably could outsell more of Sega's legacy IP nowadays -- a well done Star Fox, Wave Race, Diddy Kong Racing, Kid Icarus (console), Metroid, Earthbound/Mother, would probably do better than a well done Shinobi, Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio, NiGHTS, Ecco, or Shining Force. 

Sonic, Soccer Manager, Yakuza, and maybe PSO are the main Sega brands with any major appeal left. 

runqvist said:
Those 2 companies would be a perfect match, they both represent the kind of gaming that I don't care about.

Trolling ??

34 years playing games.