By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hip Hop Gamer says Nintendo is in a position to acquire SEGA

TheLastStarFighter said:
Sega would be a good buy only if it's cheap. Nintendo has enough cash to buy any software maker and picking up one might be a good idea. But Sega isn't a particularily great fit because its games overlap with Nintendo's. Do people really want a Mario, a Donkey Kong Country and a Sonic year after year? I think if they were to buy someone, it should be either for more production capacity and talent - like Platinum Games - or for complimentry IPs, like Square-Enix or Activision. Square could probably benifit from Nintendo's ownership and streamline their production and focus a little more on fun games and not (quite so much) dramatic visuals. Activision would give Nintendo a powerful western presence. Sega...it really doesn't ad more to Nintendo than what they already have.

I doubt Nintendo could by Activion, and besides, they're publishers and I'm not sure how many studios they have or what franchises they've got... But acquiring them means Nintendo can just tell 3rd parties to fuck off xD

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Player2 said:
DanneSandin said:
Player2 said:
DanneSandin said:
I'd love to see SEGA under Nintendo, but don't think that'll happen. There's a much bigger chance of Nintendo buying a SEGA IP. Remember that we heard a rumor that Nintendo would reveal some kind of partnership or game that would send even bigger shock/rage waves through the business than Bayo2? http://dualpixels.com/2012/11/29/rumor-behind-the-scenes-with-first-party-hardware-and-third-party-softwear-next-gen/

Could it be that Nintendo has worked out some kind of deal with SEGA??

And I don't really understand why everyone here thinks it's better for Nintendo to acquire Platinum Games. Why??

And like S.Peelman said in the post above; I'd also love to see Total War on Wii U :D

Nintendo does have more franchises than they can handle and Platinum Games does have talented people that could make new games for those franchises.

I get that Nintendo has more IP's than they can handle, but why do everyone think that Platinum is so great?! They've done, what, bayonetta? What else?

This is going to be a long post >_<

These three guys work in PlatinumGames:

Shiji Mikami:

Game Year of release Role
Project Zwei TBA 2013 Director
Shadows of the Damned 2011 Creative producer
Vanquish 2010 Director
God Hand 2006 Director
Killer7 2005 Executive producer/Writer
Resident Evil 4 2005 Director
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations 2004 Executive producer
Resident Evil Outbreak File #2 2004 Background modeler
Resident Evil Outbreak 2003 Designer
Dino Crisis 3 2003 Executive producer
Viewtiful Joe 2003 Executive producer
P.N.03 2003 Director
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All 2003 Executive producer
Resident Evil Zero 2002 Executive advisor
Resident Evil 2002 Director
Resident Evil Survivor 2 Code: Veronica 2001 Supervisor
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2001 Executive producer
Devil May Cry 2001 Executive producer
Resident Evil Gaiden[25] 2001 Advisor
Onimusha: Warlords 2001 Advisor
Dino Crisis 2 2000 Executive producer
Resident Evil Code: Veronica 2000 Producer
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis 1999 Producer
Dino Crisis 1999 Director/Producer
Resident Evil 2 1998 Producer
Resident Evil 1996 Director/Producer[26]
Goof Troop 1994 Game designer[27]
Aladdin (SNES) 1993 Planner
Super Lap (unreleased) 1992 Planner
Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (Game Boy) 1991 Planner
Capcom Quiz: Hatena? no Daibōken (Game Boy) 1990 Planner

Hideki Kamiya:

Game Year Publisher Role
Bayonetta 2[6] TBA Nintendo supervisor
The Wonderful 101[7] 2012 Nintendo director
Bayonetta 2009 SEGA story, director
Ōkami 2006 Capcom story, director
Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble! 2005 Capcom story
Viewtiful Joe 2 2004 Capcom story
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations 2004 Capcom voice actor for Godot in the Japanese version
Viewtiful Joe 2003 Capcom director
Resident Evil Zero 2002 Capcom original game design
Devil May Cry 2001 Capcom director
Resident Evil 2 1998 Capcom director
Resident Evil 1996 Capcom system planner
Arthur to Astaroth no Nazo Makaimura 1996 Capcom planner

Atsushi Inaba:

Lots of people that worked with them in Capcom are now in Platinum as well.

Ok, thanks for the list! I see some high profile games there, but it's not like I'm going "COMFG!!1!"

And Kasz also pointed out a few more things as to why Platinum would be a great accet for Nintendo

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Nintendo acquire sega? .. this would be crazy good !

we should have known from the day they put reggie in Yakuza

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Soundwave said:

To be honest, Sega would probably fit the bill for Sony a lot better. They kinda need a little more family appeal, even though they are trying with LittleBigPlanet and Wonderbook and what not.

Sonic could fill the void that's been missing since they lost Crash Bandicoot. Sega characters taking the lead in IP like Playstation All-Stars Battle and LBP Karting (replace that with Sonic All-Stars Transformed) would probably help those games sell a lot better. Yakuza and Virtua Fighter are natural fits on the Playstation. 

It would help the Vita out a lot to have an exclusive Sonic, PSO, Soccer Manager, Virtua Fighter, etc.

That said, not sure if Sony has exactly a ton of money lying around to spend these days, even though they have made some acquisitions in some other divisions, my guess is that was all that Hirai was given to work with, there's not a lot more money coming in.

Lets stop feeding this dream. Sony is in no position to buy anyone at the moment. Not even a cheap ass SEGA.

Some guy also said that nintendo would spend all their money in the bank buying SEGA. That i dont believe is the case at all. Last i heard Nintendo has 10.5 billion dollars in the bank. SEGA would probably be worth less than 2 billion (their operating volume is 837 million). Its pricey, but Nintendo can still buy them and be pretty confortable.

With that said, the problem is SEGA themselves are 72 million in the red. Nintendo would have to go to lengths to make the company profitable. Not to mention that Sammy is pretty much running them down with cancelled titles.